Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arc- Peisey/Vallandry

Poster: A snowHead
I am planning a boarding trip for myself and Mrs Necromancer for February. We are both beginners. I am just starting to link my turns and am looking for wide green and blue runs for to practice my turns and have my first full week on the proper slopes all week. Mrs Necromancer can do the falling leaf and will be falling on her back bottom all week learning how to turn on a nursery slope. We will probably both get lessons.

I have read the sticky review and some other sites (shock horror) and Peisey/Vallandry seems suitable. Just looking for confirmation from somebody with first hand experience really.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
necromancer,

Amazing place. Long wide runs. Great choice. Even the reds are as wide as motorways snowHead Going ourselves to Plan Peisey in early January.

http://www.skinewgen.com/vallandry/index.asp

Not used them myself but others here swear by the above ski school. Make sure to book yourself in there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
necromancer, Welcome to snowHead

You couldnt have chosen a better place in my opinion. Where are you staying? We loved it so much we bought an apartment there. The green & blues they teach on are at the top of a very easy 6man chair lift - so no worries about getting on & off again. There is a green that runs all the way back down the hill (foret) but if that is too much the lifties are happy to put you on the lift back down again. Lovely wide blues/reds, tree-lined at lower levels for bad weather days. We've had good experience with ESF Plan Peisey, but I gather NewGen in Vallandry are excellent too.

I'm rushing now, but if you want further info. PM me or ask again on the thread.

You'll have a great time snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"am looking for wide green and blue runs for to practice my turns "

In that case u'll be allreet. The lifts, at Vallandrey anyway, take you to an area of blues/greens about half a mile wide - I kid you not.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"where are you staying?"

Havent got that far yet.

Thats my next question. Any recommendations? Self catering would be good. Is ther much available for 2 people? Am looking to do it fairly cheaply but not slumming it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
necromancer, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
If you fancy a Chalet try www.whiteplanet.co.uk based in Peisey, best Chalet food I've ever had bar none. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree that the place is great for beginners. The slope at the top of the six man from Peisey is perfect for practicing/ learning on.
Beware of the Blue and red running back down to that lift late in the afternoon. Typical resort runs... normally great runs... after 3pm absolute carnage! Espesially with the Vanoise express being there too.

For a beginner however, there is a perfect green which runs all the way down to the lifts at Vallandry, so maybe a chalet in that area may make things a little easier. It's not far between the 2 resorts though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wow. i am surprised by the quick replies. thanks very much. I will check out the link spyderman and vallandry paul. cheers
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
necromancer, Do you have to go in Feb - it'll be busier & the ski schools more booked up then, because of half-terms. Jan & March are quieter
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeah i am a teacher so pretty much stuck to school holidays
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a teacher too and have always found les arcs relatively quietish! during 2nd week of easter hols - although this year that is earlier than normal!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rooonan, welcome to snowHeads.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
necromancer, yep suit you fine. Our kids (aged 5) learnt to ski there. New Gen are a great ski school as well
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
necromancer, Try the L'Ancolie in Peisey for Dinner. It's a rustic farmhouse restaurant, the Pate's are sublime. Best restaurant in Les Arcs. Very Happy Booking essential.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, Mmm - I'd second that Very Happy
latest report
rob@rar - thanks! Very Happy
snow report
necromancer, I am going to be in Vallandry Feb half term - it was recommended to me as perfect for the beginner and the more nervous. We are a group of 6, but I am the only novice! We have booked self-catering through SkiAmis who have been really helpful so far. Not been with them before, so I can only say that much. They have s/c studios for two for about £450 in half term week.
http://www.skiamis.com/ski/pages/Self%20Catering/Vallandry/vallandry_5.htm

I have got skiing lessons booked with NewGen. THeir website is brill - they have video clips to help you decide which level of lesson to book and I am told they have no more than 8 in a class, unlike others where apparently it can be 12-16.

Incidentally I have been trying to research lift passes a bit - You can get Les Arcs (that side only), Paradiski (all of Les Arcs and freedom to cross on the double-decker Vanoise Express all week to the La Plagne side too) or Discovery (Les Arcs with a single day in La Plagne). The Discovery is 13 Euros dearer than the Les Arcs one, which sounds a fair deal - mind you having lessons every day means I wouldn't have time for a day out anyway & apparently the runs back down to the cable car on the La P side can be less than beginner-friendly. I'm told though it's well worth making a trip over on a nice day just for the view and someone (forget who) told me there is a good restaurant in walking distance from the cable car on the La Plagne side.
latest report
Hi My wife and I board and loved Plan Peisey when we went last Christmas even though it felt warmer outside our chalet then it did at home on the North York Moors! As every one will remember last Christmas was particlarly dodgy for snow, but the pistes above Peisey and Vallandry were in considerably better nick than those on the other side of the Vanois express. The motorway pistes above the trees are very inviting for those with little experiance and there is a small area to the side (below the restaurant) were you can try some small kickers if you feel up to it.

The lift out of Plan peisey and le grizzly from Vallandray are very snowboard friendly but the old lift leading to the top of the blue (which you will need to take after getting of the the Plan Peisey lift) was tricky for the nervous especially as there was a fairly steep run off when we went due to the lack of snow.

as you are linking your turns you should try the tree runs down to both villages even though they are marked red. When we went it was best to avoid the rather flat blue (foret)which gently winds its way to the villages as it was just ice. if you dont fancy the reds then you can take the lifts back.

The blues around Arc 1800 will keep you busy especially Renard which is a great run. I've heard that the old Plan bois
lift is being replaced which can only be good news as there were long queues ( it was Christmas) and the drop off it left many a novice boarder ploughing into unsuspecting skiers.

If you can get to the transarc godola in Arc 1800 or at mid station then you will enjoy the blues leading to Arc 1950 and 2000 but avoid the blue which I think is called plan vert (maybe wrong) as it if flat and narrow. Also be wary as a bit of the Grand Renard leading to the top of the Plan Bois lift is farly steep ( but you can feather it as its not long) .

Although you are ideally placed I wouldnt worry about getting a pass for the La Plagne side as you will have enough to keep you happy.

happy boarding Laughing
ski holidays
Rowley B QC wrote:
I've heard that the old Plan bois lift is being replaced which can only be good news as there were long queues ( it was Christmas) and the drop off it left many a novice boarder ploughing into unsuspecting skiers.

Geeks only click here. wink Razz

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=29705&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=derby
snow conditions
Rowley B QC,

Plan and Plan Vert across the 2000 bowl are very unlikely to be there this year, as that is where they are doing all the earthworks for the new (and HUGE) reservoir - we were out walking there this summer, and the whole aspect of that part of the resort will be changing big time - expected to complete Nov 08. But unless they are remodelling the remodel, there is no way those runs will exist this winter.
One day, I'll get around to sorting out picture membership of snowHead and post some idea of just how much they are shifting stuff around. Its a heck of a lot.

I suspect but don't know, we'll all be channelled back down the main runs by the old Plagnettes. Not sure if it will mean that the only ways over into 2000 will be the Transarc or down Bois de l'Ours black. Or Combourciere black at the bottom end from 1600 too I guess.

Rob@rar I heard tell you are out there at the moment? - have you had a chance to peek over the ridge?

necromancer, You'll love the Peisey pistes above the tree line, there is a huge expanse to try things out, and good lifts. And as gwaelod says, Plan Bois becomes Le Derby this year, a 6 man high speed, so will make access to 1800 easier too.
ski holidays
JimW wrote:
Rob@rar I heard tell you are out there at the moment? - have you had a chance to peek over the ridge?

Unfortunately not. It was just a brief visit to collect some kit on the way up to Tignes, then back at the end of the week to drop stuff off and do a bit of laundry before heading home.

I'm not surprised the earth-moving works is on such a large scale - the artist's impression that I saw of the plans for the new lake above 2000 surprised my by just how big it will be. Good for providing a water supply for snow cannons, and a nice feature for summer activities Smile I'd be very interested in seeing photos of the current work there.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
JimW wrote:

Unfortunately not. It was just a brief visit to collect some kit on the way up to Tignes, then back at the end of the week to drop stuff off and do a bit of laundry before heading home.

I'm not surprised the earth-moving works is on such a large scale - the artist's impression that I saw of the plans for the new lake above 2000 surprised my by just how big it will be. Good for providing a water supply for snow cannons, and a nice feature for summer activities Smile I'd be very interested in seeing photos of the current work there.

Rob,

Where about in the 2000 bowl is the resevoir built?

Cheers
snow report
gwaelod, smack in the middle, where it flattens out (I think it's where they used to have the X-country loops). But I've only seen a piece of artwork depicting it, so that's not the most reliable of info.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
gwaelod, smack in the middle, where it flattens out (I think it's where they used to have the X-country loops). But I've only seen a piece of artwork depicting it, so that's not the most reliable of info.

Interesting? Should see a change to overall runs and layout of the bowl?
ski holidays
NewSkier, we used Ski Amis last year and were happy with them.
ski holidays
One cheap hotel option is to stay in Peisey itself - its connected to the main lifts by a smaller walkin walkout lift thats about 8 mins walk from the hotel. It comes out right beside the ESF ski schol and the link to La Plagne - We stayed at Relais de 3 Stations - http://www.hotel-peisey-vallandry.com/en/prices%20winter.htm) Costs Euros 588 per week for an adult high season inc a Paradiski lift pass, once the lift pass is taken out which works out about £25 per day for half board accomodation. Hotel has a great, albeit lively bar (well it was very on New Years Eve!), but you can ask for a room away from the street which would be quiet (we slept soundly there - our daughters at the front did get wakened one night).

Food was good wholesome fare, and having stayed there last New Year we are back again this!
snow conditions
Great plan to go to Peisey as others have said.

Have part-owned a chalet in Les Arcs since '93 and love Peisey - best kept secret on the mountain until the tour companies discovered it and the Paradiski lift came in.

Only word of warning is that it's the lowest bit on the mountain and can get a bit slushy lower down. The highest bits of Peisey (best for beginners) will be fine, but the runs back to the village can get a little icy/slushy if conditions aren't great. That said, you should be fine in feb *fingers crossed*

La Poudreuse - bit of beaten track of Peisey and sort of on the way to Arc 1800 is also recommended.

JimF
snow report
JimF, welcome to snowHeads. Good to see another person with an interest in Les Arcs Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Right I started this thread a few months ago. Finally the time has come. I have got some new Boots that arer a beautiful fit and next week Myself and Ms Necromancer are off to Arc 1800.

We are getting the train from London to Bourg St Maurice. We arive about 7.00 in the morning.

My question is: What is the easiest/cheapest/quickest way to get from Bourg St Maurice to Arc 1800. I am told a Taxi will cost 40-50 Euros.
snow report
necromancer wrote:

My question is: What is the easiest/cheapest/quickest way to get from Bourg St Maurice to Arc 1800. I am told a Taxi will cost 40-50 Euros.

Cheapest: Funicular from station to Arc 1600, then free bus to arc 1800.

quickest / easiest: taxi
ski holidays
necromancer, as per nbt taxis are by far the easiest, and your price is about right. Plenty to choose from outside the station.

The funiciular to 1600 plus free-inter village bus is the cheapest - funicular is included in your lift pass if you have pre-bought for the Saturday (and have it with you to activate the barriers) or buy at the funicular station.
But beware of long drag from BSM station to Funicular base with luggage, including many stairs over the rails: perfectly doable , and indeed have done so on a number of occasions, but there is a navette from the bus stops in front of the station around to the funicular that is a good idea if you are laden!

I believe you can also get a 'normal' bus service all the way, iirc its about €12 each, which for two people may be a better bet than a taxi - but obviously you are on their timetable, not yours...
snow report
necromancer, .... I will argue that the Funiculaire from Bourg St. Maurice, together with the bus from 1600 to 1800 is both quicker and cheaper than a taxi. Also, at that hour of the morning there are more frequent buses for the resort workers.

When you leave the Funiculaire at Arc 1600, turn immediately LEFT to the bus park (50m)

I use this quite a lot for 09:00 meets in Arcs 1800. I drive from la Roche & park at the Funiculaire car park.

Have fun .... Very Happy
ski holidays
JimW, there is a shuttle bus from BSM station to the funicular and it stops behind, not in front of, the station. first shuttle at 7:20 a.m. on a saturday.
ski holidays
I'm going to Vallandry next week! Flying Sleazy out of Luton.
ski holidays
Butterfly wrote:
I'm going to Vallandry next week! Flying Sleazy out of Luton.

Excellent butterfly. Might see you over there. you will recognise me by the flailing arms and lots of time spent on my bum
snow report
holidayloverxx, I know, you got it last time IIRC! - behind, in front of, its all relative ... but what was the stop number? 15 I think?necromancer, its part of the 'normal' bus stop regime anyway!!

Looking back on the thread, saw I had posted that I thought Plan and Plan Vert might not exist this season due to reservoir works. But somehow, they have shifted the earth around, and they are still there...
ski holidays
JimW, With an interesting series of bumps off to the left Shocked Laughing I really wiped out on them a couple of weeks ago & still have bruises to prove it Madeye-Smiley
snow report
necromancer, I'm in a red jacket with narrow orange stripes & a shiny new white helmet with a certain sticker on the back! I am also on the hunt for a sticker of a butterfly to add to it!
ski holidays
necromancer, Taxi service rules. At that time of the morning it is 20 mins up the mountain (to Arc 1950 at least). If you haven't overdone things on the snowtrain you can be on the piste with breakfast by 9am. Les Arcs is blissfully quiet on a Saturday.
latest report
geri, that'll be the skier/boarder- cross track then... Its great eh?!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy