Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

carving skis

Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick question -
Take a narrow waisted zippy carving ski, say sidecut 120-68-102. Would such a ski still work well in cruddy conditions?
Do fatter skis really carve as well as slimmer skis?

(sorry - this is probably another of my daft questions)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
erica2004, how deep is the crud?

The wider skis work better than narrow once you're no longer skiing on a firm base.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

"Carve" and "cruddy" don't go together all that well... Confused
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004, is there a reason this is in BzK?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc wrote:
Quote:

"Carve" and "cruddy" don't go together all that well... Confused

Depends how fat the skis are Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
erica2004, I've skied on slalom skis in all sorts, though I guess they're not as easy as fat skis in many off-piste conditions. Conversely, it takes more to get a fat ski on edge, but it can be done.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
erica2004, what's crud?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Indeed. Is it mashed potato? On or off piste?

A fat ski needs more positive initiation of a turn than a narrow ski to get it to carve. Once it's carving in the turn, it's performance is more dependent on sidecut radius IMHO.

Most skis are pretty good in crud, if you can carve your turns properly. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, If by crud you mean just chopped up fresh snow, then no probs with that (american interpretation of the word). If by crud you mean really awful, heavy, possibly crusty snow then carvers are very hard work (european interpretation of the word 'crud'). Fat skis do not carve as well and do not generally hold as well on ice and harpack, however with a very skilful skier can be made to work.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski,
Quote:

Fat skis do not carve as well and do not generally hold as well on ice and harpack, however with a very skilful skier can be made to work.

Aha, I wondered that, the first time I tried my present skis on ice. Note to self: improve skills!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, Yes, I meant chopped up snow - when the pistes have ceased to be pisted in the afternoons and it takes more effort to ski through it. I have found in the past that I had to work a lot harder in this sort of snow with my carving skis. It was easier with the fatter skis but they were harder to carve. I just wondered whether it was me or the ski.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally, I found the issue with narrow ski in crud (or any un-even snow) is the lack of stable platform for balance. Like wearing heels on cobble stone paths, and RUNNING. Smile (The sidecuts of "carving skis" probably make matter even worse though)

It's less work to hold the edge of a narrow ski on hardpack or icy surface. But more work to balance on cruddy snow.

A fat ski has more forgiving flatform to balance on even when snow was inconsistant. But it's more work to hold an edge on ice.

But with superior skill, a good skier can balance a narrow ski on breakable crust, or hold an edge on icy surface even with a fat ski.

Or, have something in between, and deal with the compromise.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't really get why this is a question... You'll only have the one set of skis for that days conditions and you have to cope with how the mountain presents itself. You will have to adapt your skill set combined with the skis to deal with it. You might curse this or that but the best/most flexible tool you will have is you...

FWIW, crud is crap snow..not skied out fresh snow, chopped is chopped, but that is all; crud can be an ordeal. Baked, crusty, windblown, refrozen ....
So get yourself on one set of skis..and ski the mountain. If you have really stuffed up, then consider changing them overnight but the next day might differ somewhat...best you adapt your technique and learn a few turns that will work in anything... Not saying they need to be pretty but they need to be functional.

You just cannot legislate for all the differing snow types with a quiver... as you'd be forever changing them and spend all day doing it.... ... At best , you decide on your ski-day and decide on the ski for the day....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As I mentioned we had all sorts of conditions this year - as a learner I still don't have all sorts of skills to call on, despite this no-one inc. my instructors suggested that I skied on more than the one set of skis, so I did (ski on the one set) - I expect it was good for me.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 4-11-07 14:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I thought that a 'one ski quiver' was what everyone was after! Anyway abc, andeasiski, got my drift. Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum, You'll find that with your own skis, you'll ski better - I did. And after you've skied in those for a few years you'll be hankering after another pair because (theoretically) there will be a better ski for your new level and you'll want to go faster and may want a ski that's livelier etc. etc. Plus, it's fun research wink And even I have noticed a difference in skiing different skis. Personally, I don't think it's helpful or wise to say stick with one ski for ever.
I have found, though, that even when you have good basic skills, the best thing to do to improve your skiing is to become physically fitter and stronger.
latest report
erica2004, You shouldn't find it harder work to ski chopped up snow on carvers. If you do I would suggest that you're not using the ski to do the work but rather trying to make the ski go round the corner (which is not what it's designed for). The ski should move forward all the time and not sideways, and they should just slice through the sort of stuff you're talking about. Indeed, if used properly, carving skis basically make it easier to ski rough snow, but not what we mean by crud! BIG confusion here with that word!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy