Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas? Advice needed.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone! Glad to see you’ve all been looking after the place while I’ve been away (doing ‘summer’ things – eughhh!), and that snowheads is thriving. Hopefully I’ll be able to spend a bit more time here again now the clocks have gone back!

Anyway, I need to pick your collective brains for a bit of advice. I’m thinking of going skiing on my own for Christmas for a week. It would be the first time I’ve ever been on a skiing holiday on my own, and also my first time at Christmas. It’ll need to be fairly cheap (as I’m already booked on two pricier trips in January and March) so I’d be hoping to book a last minute deal, ideally leaving mid-week the week before Christmas so as not to have to take too much time off work. I’d also want to be in a chalet (or possibly a ‘chalet hotel’) as I guess this is a more sociable option for a ‘lone traveller’ (god – that makes me sound really sad!). So, I’d be really grateful for your experiences and opinions, particularly with regard to the following:

- Will I have any chance of finding a late deal (i.e. less than a week before departure) for Christmas, or will all beds in the good resorts have been sold by then?

- Most tour operators are selling 19th to 26th December. Does anyone know any that are operating mid-week to mid-week (I’ve only found Ski Beat so far)?

- What about resorts? As I’ve never been away that early before I’m not really too sure about snow conditions in December, although as I’ll be booking late I guess I can watch the snow reports. Any thoughts?

- For a slightly more sociable experience I’d thought that a room-share would be the best option. Any ideas which operators actively promote room-sharing (I know of Mark Warner & Ski France)?

As you can probably tell I’m a bit apprehensive about this trip! Basically what I’d be looking for is good skiing and some friendly company (I know there are no guarantees when it comes to chalet mates, but as long as I’m not sharing with either a stag party or the Glasgow fire brigade I should be okay!). All your thoughts would be gratefully received.

Cheers all,
Dave

PS: Apologies if this should be in the 'trips' forum - U feel free to move it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave, pm me I'm sure we can help you. We've already got some snowheads with us over Christmas.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks David - I've PMed you and dropped you an e-mail.

If anyone knows of any cheap flights to Geneva at Christmas I'd be grateful!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There has been some publicity that Christmas is proving hard to sell and that discounting has begun. I would have thought that there would be some good bargains to be found.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To answer your questions -

1) IMHO a late deal is always possible for a lone traveller, even at christmas and new year.

2) Can't help you with the mid-week to mid-week thing.

3) It can be quite variable snow conditions at that time of year, so choose a higher resort. Even better, leave it until the day before, and book for somewhere that you know has had snow.

4) I often travel as a lone traveller, there's no need to share a room with a stranger in order to make friends, and you never know quite who you are going to end up sharing with. If you book late then the trick is not so much finding a tour operator who will find someone for you to room share with, but more finding one who will let you have sole occupancy of a double room at no extra charge.

I go skiing alone in the week before christmas every year, my advice would be, to bite the bullet and go for it, it's great fun.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
a lot of tour operators are doing Thursday to Thursdat on the 23rd Dec this year as Xmas day is a Saturday. This should make part weeks or odd weeks possible.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glasgow Firebrigade are jolly good fun *ahem* Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't rely on last minute snow reports - go somewhere with a reliable snow record. I've seen satisfactory snow cover disappear in a few hours of heavy rain in a low resort at that time of year - not to mention the misery of being out on the lifts in those conditions. Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy