Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski weekend from Geneva - Dec 13th

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there.... after the excitement of booking a sneaky pre-Xmas long ski weekend.... mild worry has now set in........A small group (3 lads) have booked a return flight to Geneva (13th - 16th) Dec - giving us potentially 3 days skiing. However, this was booked it total ignorance of the fact that it would seem a lot of the ski resorts close to Geneva don't officially open till the 15th!
I did a similiar trip that time last year and ended up in Zermatt (with plenty of snow). From our research so far, it looks as if Val disere, Tignes or Courchevel could be possibilities. Is it too early for Avoriaz? Also, should we be worried about accomodation that time of year, or is it OK to wait until last minute and check for the white stuff??

Any help would be appreciated in terms of location that time of year and accomodation.......... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TaffyApple I'm sure you'll be fine to sort out where to ski and stay much nearer the time.

We do the same sort of trip each year and as you say many places arent due to open until that sat but the situation is snow dependant!

For the sat/sun I'd expect that the Chamonix slopes will be open so you could drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel and do a couple of days in Italy (if Courmayeur and/or La Thulie is open) then back to Chamnix for the w/e
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TaffyApple, check this out http://www.atomicbootcamp.co.uk/ loads of us here have either done it or are doing it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Guys..... feedback appreciated... The boot camp looks interesting - have you any feedback from it?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
a lot of the ski resorts close to Geneva don't officially open till the 15th!

that's in part because lots of the ski resorts close to Geneva don't have much snow before then - or even after then, sometimes! Christmas is a lottery. But there should be no problem with accommodation - the advice to wait till later is good. Presumably you will hire a car? Fiddling around with buses will cut down your ski time, and flexibility, a lot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TaffyApple, I went last week along with loads of others from here (there are some threads somewhere). Obviously the conditions were a little limited for us and it was just the glacier available, but otherwise it was exactly as described on the website. Hotel was good, English staff were excellent (one has since started posting on here), equipment was good. Transfer, halfboard hotel for 3 nights, lift pass and equipment hire all for £99 - what could possible go wrong Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro wrote:
TaffyApple, I went last week along with loads of others from here (there are some threads somewhere). Obviously the conditions were a little limited for us and it was just the glacier available, but otherwise it was exactly as described on the website. Hotel was good, English staff were excellent (one has since started posting on here), equipment was good. Transfer, halfboard hotel for 3 nights, lift pass and equipment hire all for £99 - what could possible go wrong Very Happy

True - the price looks superb value!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:
a lot of the ski resorts close to Geneva don't officially open till the 15th!

that's in part because lots of the ski resorts close to Geneva don't have much snow before then - or even after then, sometimes! Christmas is a lottery. But there should be no problem with accommodation - the advice to wait till later is good. Presumably you will hire a car? Fiddling around with buses will cut down your ski time, and flexibility, a lot.

Yes, the plan was for a car and basically just going to where the snow is..... whether that be France or Switzerland....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
try and go high, whatever you do, cos the snow tends to fall up there.....simple really but amazing how many don't think about it
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="TaffyApple]Yes, the plan was for a car and basically just going to where the snow is..... whether that be France or Switzerland....[/quote]
That's a good plan - and you should stick with it wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
reddiamond wrote:
try and go high, whatever you do, cos the snow tends to fall up there.....simple really but amazing how many don't think about it

It isn't that simple. Last week there was more fresh snow at 1800m in Austria (where I wished I had been) than there was at 3500m in France (where I actually was).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dont forget Verbier is within reach of Geneva, and Les Contamines holds a lot of snow althougth it is reasonably high.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm booked to fly LCY-GVA for the weekend 14/12 - 17/12. Got a reservation at a cheap hotel in Morzine, but if the snow is poor in the area then we'll simply rebook hotel and drive to wherever good conditions exist!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MorganW wrote:
I'm booked to fly LCY-GVA for the weekend 14/12 - 17/12. Got a reservation at a cheap hotel in Morzine, but if the snow is poor in the area then we'll simply rebook hotel and drive to wherever good conditions exist!

I think we'll probably leave booking accomodation until later - not sure if this is risky though. Tried the boot camp at Tignes and unfortunately all booked up - I guess at those prices it's not surprising. Does anyone have any good tips/websites for cheap accomodation in resorts?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hep - just coz you are higher doesn't necessarily = snow. you need to look for a resort with a good snow record.

last year i was in Morzine and granted it didn't ski the week before at xmas but i'm pretty sure there was snow there. i seem to remember being head first in it!

i think a lot of the complaints came from the length of the runs into the resort - yes if were in a low lying resort like morzine (1000m) last year, you couldn't ski right down into the village.

but there was snow up on the pleney and plenty of it in avoriaz.

cheers
latest report
Quote:

Les Contamines holds a lot of snow althougth it is reasonably high.

Les Contamines isn't very high - the top is 2,400, or thereabouts, and most of the runs are below 2000m. The village is very low. The top (and best) areas do hold their snow well, but I doubt whether Les Contamines will open that early.
snow report
last year we skied at Les Contamines on Sat 16th, think that may have been the first day of opening?
ski holidays
Avoriaz almost always opens the week before the official opening for Morzine, but it is snow dependent. I'm sure we were skiing in Avoriaz a week before everything else opened last year too in spite of the poor conditions and while there was less than usual, there was still plenty for a couple of days.
ski holidays
oopalley - I note that Avoriaz is feeling optimistic - they've now got that they're opening on 8th December on their web site. I'm sure that was 15th the last time I looked.
latest report
NOt sure - they have new websites for both Morzine and Avoriaz this year and I find them much more difficult to navigate to any useful info...

The official date still looks to be the 15th, but as I say, they usually do open early and as they ave a big ski demo thing planned for the 15th, I would expect a good deal to be open prior to that.
latest report
oopalley wrote:
NOt sure - they have new websites for both Morzine and Avoriaz this year and I find them much more difficult to navigate to any useful info...

The official date still looks to be the 15th, but as I say, they usually do open early and as they ave a big ski demo thing planned for the 15th, I would expect a good deal to be open prior to that.

Thanks for that - it's prompted me to have a look again and I can't find where I got 8th from on the Avoriaz web site. It was defo there as I was surprised to see it. Saying that, it could have been an error and removed.

Or I could just be getting old an senile rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy