Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Scottish Webcams

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks to the assistance of the Scottish Ski Club Winterhighland has a couple of new webcams which have been deployed to the Club Hut on CairnGorm.

Please bear in mind that for now this is still a test and development system, so there maybe periods of downtime and I may need to remove the system back to base for a few days in November to make changes to take account of issues that have arisen during on site testing. We've made it public during the test period since it seemed a shame to be uploading images that very few could see and making the images publicly available will help us gauge the popularity and usage of additional cameras.

View the Cams: http://www.winterhighland.info/testcam/

There are currently two cameras one looking approx SSE up the White Lady run and the second looking approx WNW over the Ski Club Hut Balcony to the Fiacaill Ridge and Strathspey beyond - good for seeing approaching weather from the West through North and we hope the decking will soon prove useful for gauging snow falls (or visibility) !! Smile

Some Sample White Lady Images:

Sample Scottish Ski Club Hut Images:

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice cam pointing at a fence ffs!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Prestonian, actually that's a really good idea (ffs rolling eyes ). If vis is practically zero (ie. it's snowing hard) there's not much point looking at a cam that just shows grey. What you want is something in the foreground that you can see how much snow has fallen. Like a fence for example wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Except that in Scottish conditions of high winds (where fences are necessary to trap and hold snow on the mountainside) a fence up in the air is just going to be stripped by the wind.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where are the tee boxes then ??
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Prestonian,

Its the railings of the first floor balcony of the SSC hut. It has some good advantages. The balcony will allow us to gauge the depth of snow fallen, especially if someone digs it out regulary (when he's there to clean the ice off the windows Smile ) The railings give us something to look at when the vis is only 6ft. The direction is pretty good, you can just see the loading area of the WLT and a bit of the home road, plus the view across to the Fiacaill ridge
snow report
 brian
brian
snowball, actually I would expect a snow drift to build behind that one to some extent, it faces mainly west. Hopefully we'll find out fairly soon ...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wow - i'm so proud of my country. look at that beautiful view from the hut!

god's country.

wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ffs!!!

Is some superb and biting wit and repartee passing over my head today or are some people moaning and being *rses in response to a superb effort by Winterhighland to do some good for Scottish skiing?

Maybe I'm just tired and irritable today...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen_sheba wrote:
wow - i'm so proud of my country. look at that beautiful view from the hut!

god's country.

wink

It's Scotland, not New Zealand wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its a beautiful fence and you're going to see a lot, lot more of it this season !
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Once there's been some real weather I'll have a better idea of whether the balcony view is useful. Certainly the short lived period with the camera looking at benches in the Cas Carpark proved popular/useful because it allowed an instant way to assess new snowfalls. A degree of trial and error will be involved in placement esp when mounted inside double glazed windows as it's pretty difficult to get a view with little or no reflection. One camera has been taped over with black insulating tape so it doesn't show up in its own picture!

Putting the cameras outside is an option that will be explored if the system proves reasonably reliable and the need arises. However putting equipment outside on CairnGorm Mountain raises plenty of it's own issues! Not least the walk over to Loch A'an to fetch them back! Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy