Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland - faster train transfers to Valais resorts

brian
brian
The timetables are out for Swiss trains for this winter and with the opening of the new Loetschberg base tunnel, the world's 3rd longest rail tunnel, the transfer times from the North and East to the Valais are considerably reduced, eg.

Basel or Zuerich to Zermatt: was 4 hours 24 mins, now 3 hours 14 mins.

More times here:

http://www.valais.ch/files/?id=2854
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian,

bad news all round Laughing
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT, the faster connections only work if you're going to Brit resorts: Zermatt, Saas Fee, Crans/Montana or the 4Vs. Outside of that the trains and buses actually slow down, meaning transfers take at least 3-4 days ...

... and don't even think about driving, even assuming you could handle the 4 ft wide crumbling tarmac above the precipice, the teams of killer attack marmottes will get you Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The time savings from Zuerich to Visp and then on to Zermatt or Saas-Fee are impressive, but we, like most I believe, fly into Geneva and the improvements are not so significant. We travel to Saas-Fee and there are additional trains as well as a half-hourly bus service instead of hourly. The improvement seems to vary between about 15 minutes and about 45 minutes, whereas Zuerich is about 75 minutes faster. Of course, any reduction in travelling time is to be welcomed. Perhaps more airlines will fly to Zuerich at convenient times of the day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Derek Jackson, I am a train fan, and there is another way to get to Saas Fee: the TGV des Neiges (mid December to end of March).

Only useful for us London Elite I know, but it is such a pleasant way to go.
Eurostar to Paris - get one of the cheap 1st class tickets (Leisure Direct) and you get breakfast served at your table.
Easy change to Gare de Lyon - 2 stops on the RER.
Then TGV all the way to Brig - book early and get another cheap 1st class seat with power point so you can post to snowheads all the way snowHead

It may take a bit longer than the Easyjet to Geneva then train to Brig route, but it really is so much more enjoyable.

Tip: don't get off at Visp if you want a seat on the bus up to Saas Fee.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim, we regularly take the train from Geneva to Visp and then the bus up to Saas-Fee - I much prefer this to hiring a car. The bus can be quite full, but they often put on extras to ensure everyone at Visp has a seat. From December, the bus station in Visp is moving right next door to the refurbished train station and the hourly bus service is being doubled. Also, more trains are now stopping at Visp from Geneva because it is considered more important in view of the new tunnel. These are all good things as far as we are concerned. All they need to do now is to upgrade the track between Visp and Geneva.

If I had a little more time and lived in London I would be tempted to use the train all the way. I agree it would be much less stressful. At present we can leave here in the middle of the night and be in Saas-Fee about 1.15 pm. Using the train, it can be done in a day from London, but we would need to travel down the previous evening and stay overnight.

The move of Eurostar to Paddington will make the train more attractive because the line from Worcester also terminates there. I suspect, though, that the cost of the train and all its extras will probably more expensive than EasyJet and its extras, but I am open to persuasion on this.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Eurostar now terminates at St.Pancras, doesn't it?
Dunno where trains to/from Worcester go, but I'd have guessed Euston (which is not all that far from KingsCross/St.Pancras)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Derek Jackson, as andy suggests, you have confused St Pancras with Paddington. Easily done. Smile

As for costs. You are quite right: if you get the cheapest Easyjet flights then the total cost of the journey to Saas Fee is cheaper than going the whole way by train. But once those early cheap fares have gone the costs rapidly become comparable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a mailshot earlier this week giving a London to Interlaken cost of £135 return which seems pretty good to me ut I haven't been able to get any further details yet, I have a horrid suspicion that the train times just wont work unless you live in central London
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, I would be interested in details of that deal when you track it down snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim, oops. At least they have some letters in common. Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Derek Jackson, i am going to sass grund in march and heard the bus is a bit of a nightmare. any tips?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, no, I don't think the bus is a problem. I don't yet know exactly how to find the new stop in Visp, but the skeleton of the new bus station is just outside the station. You need to load your case(s) in the luggage compartments (it's self service) and your skis also or in the ski carrier at the back, present your ticket to the driver and just sit back until you arrive in Saas Grund about 40 minutes later. The main stop is outside the Post Office which is most of the way through the village, but the buses have electronic signs telling you of the next stop. I presume you know of the Swiss Transfer Ticket for travel through Switzerland. You need to buy this, for example through SBB, before you travel. Check the terms and conditions first, but essentially you can travel from Geneva to Saas-Grund on a single day and then back, all for about £55 or so.

I've only skied once at Saas Grund and it was foggy and rather soft, so no useful pointers I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Derek Jackson, thanks for that, on the sass grund site it mentioned having to go past visp to brig to get the bus to sass grund which sounded odd.. also is it a pain to get from geneva airport to the main train station?

i didnt know of the transfer ticket, am i understanding you right in that it is a return ticket for £55 or just a days travel card?

The train from london may make more sense, didnt know the TGV went to Visp and will look into that.
snow report
 brian
brian
skimottaret, all the trains heading to Valais from Geneva leave from the airport station. As you come out of arrivals, turn left, past all the car hire desks, out the revolving door, down the escalator and you're there.

The transfer ticket is a return to any resort, valid for a month from your entry into Switzerland. You have to buy it before you travel though, you can't get it in Switzerland.

and tgv info http://www.tgv-lyria.com
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
brian, cheers for that very helpful,I had assumed you needed to get to geneva central, makes the train much more attactive to me.
latest report
Derek Jackson wrote:
The bus can be quite full, but they often put on extras to ensure everyone at Visp has a seat
Not my experience. I've only used the bus twice. In 2006 I got off the train at Visp. The bus from Brig was full. I and others had to stand until about half way up the hill.
This year I got off the train at Brig. The bus was almost full by the time we arrived at Visp. A number of people had to stand for some way up the hill.
As you say, things may be different this season.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy