Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What colour/type of Goggles are best in very flat light.?

I have standard dark tinted goggles but I've been told at various times that amber is best - or yellow- or rose or clear are dedinately the ones to get

Which, in much respected snowhead opinion, is best??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've some vermillion O-frames that work fine for me, a good relaxed stance works pretty good as well Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Generally something between Red and Yellow works best as it cuts blue light which aids contrast, different manufacturers have different colours, Mine are Bolle and also vermillion, but previous ones I've had have been orange and yellow, not much difference between any of them really
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing in flat light is just awful, isn't it?! You may as well blindfold me!

However, saying that my browny/reddy colour Smith goggles worked much better than Mr Snowy's Oakleys in flat light as demonstrated by his ability to ski into a hole and do a spectacular somersault. He probably had his iridium lenses in at the time and were reflecting all light. Wink snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowy: OUCH I hate skiing in flat light. It's not so bad starting out in flat light, but when it changes suddenly, as it can, then the cautious me becomes the very tentative me and that of course is a recipe for disaster, and confirms Brian T junior's opinion that his old man is past it.

Oh well....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Brian T, flat light as in a fogged in top of the lift when the bottom is clear (I wear Briko pink), or low-angle light such as twilight or night skiing (new to me this year- Light Amplifier lens)?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My old Bolle (pink lens) goggles come out in crappy conditions. The yellow Oakleys are not too clever.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had often wondered over the quite specific talk of colours in adverts etc.

Last year in Meribel, I was skiing in what I now realise must have been flat light, and could not make out where the slope was going. Quite scary.
I went straight to a shop and having tried on loads found a pair with yellowish red lenses that made an almost miraculous difference. And they were in a sale!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Comprex,
flat light as when conditions change such as fog, heavy cloud roll over suddenly.- I've never tried twilight skiing - sounds good though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can recommend Oakley's persimmon (amber) lense for low/flat light, giving great definition. When it starts getting brighter I switch to their Fire Iridium lens. I also used both of these for many years of competitive shooting were optical clarity was paramount.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just wanted to back-up spyderjon, yellow lenses just illuminate the light available (like full-beam on a very foggy road) so it all reflects back at you. Oakleys Persimmon are the way forward, but there are obviously people who disagree. Having worked in a ski shop for 6 years over here, I think the best test is when there is flat light go down to your local shop take a couple of pairs outside and test them, its very difficult to tell under harsh shop neons!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The oakley Persimmon lens with the blue iridium coating works better than just the normal persimmon one IMHO (apparently the blue coating cuts out the glare). Unfortunately it also costs 40 notes more!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy