Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trolles piste difficulty ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All !

The wife and I are going to Tignes Le Lac this January with 1 yr old son staying in Creche there.... we want to maximise both son and ski time, and therefore ski right back to Le Lac if possible.... but that would mean via Trolles if on the Troviere side....

We are both competent blue / red skiers (just dont like skiing alongside big cliffs !!!) I read that Trolles has been further pisted to make it easier - any thoughts on whether its do-able for us ??? !

Thx
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamDuffield, welcome to snowheads. I can't say that Trolles particularly deserves to be a black from the times I've skiied it, maybe when it's mogulled but when pisted it's fine. If you're worried, then you can always take the aeroski down
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamDuffield, I'd go along with nbt Trolles is more of a problem because of the numbers of people and the really steep bit at the bottom can be avoided by a "path" that runs down to the top of the nursery area. If you've got the bottle(!) have a go a straight lining the steep bit as there's a great run out at the bottom.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If your competent red run skiers i think you should be fine though it does tend to get mogully in the afternoon though it might not be too bad when you plan to go as it should be nice and quiet at the end of jan-its not as steep as the face in Val and is fairly wide too apart from 1 little bit where it narrows right down just before the bottom part of the piste-you should try it at least once and if you don't like it you can get the aeroski bubble down as nbt, suggested-it only takes about 5 minutes that way anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great advice - many thanks ! It sounds like its certainly worth a go.... we're going with more experienced skiers so they can guide us down if necessary ! Thanks for the help! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamDuffield, Just don't try it when the snow is hard - wait 'til the afternoon ! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought I read somewhere that it gets Icy late afternoon ?
Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamDuffield, welcome to Snowheads and I hope you enjoy your holiday. I can usually ski black runs OK, actually, if not very fast or very gracefully, but if the snow's not good, or they're crowded, I would often choose the lift down instead. There are a large numbers of skiers who absolutely hate taking a lift down, and see it as some kind of defeat. I think that's a pity - and is, I suppose, the reason why so many of those runs are full of skiers who really don't have the ability to tackle them and are stuck in various attitudes of fear and despondency all over the shop. I have ridden down "The Face" in Val D'Isere several times and marvelled at the incompetence of some of the skiers who decided they were going to ski down.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It depents as always on the snow conditions. When the sun has gone it can be very icy - and certainly a black run standard in one or two short parts. Though if the snow and visibility are good then it's fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A couple of years ago I was straight lining the steep section of trolles, as I entered the flat run off a bloody dog come running direct across my path. I had to make a swift alteration whilst in a tuck to miss the thing. When I looked back I saw the dog chasing after other skiers as they came down. Def easier without mad ski chasing dog.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From There is a steep section at the end of trolles that you can sidestep by taking a path . The steep section is not too long and is followed upa very long flat straight at the end of the run. I tend to straightline the steep section to avoid poling. I think the steep section is manageable as you can see it end in a reasonable distance and you have the path to fall back on. When empty I think is a really nice run.

Saying that when I first went to Val it was icy moguls top to bottom and hadn't seen a piste basher in a long time and seemed a genuine black (it was my third week on snow tho). I think its always pisted now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamDuffield, Trolles was the first black my wife and I ever skied. We were having a lesson and the instructor took us down it without telling us until we were at the bottom. It was fine. If you are happy on reds you shouldn't find it too difficult unless conditions are very icy. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamDuffield, Not a lot to add to the above, it's a fairly standard black run to my mind whose difficulty as always is grealy dependant on snow conditions. One suggestion though. The first time you try it why don't one of you take the lift down (It goes between Toviere and Le Lac) whilst the other one skis so you don't feel there is any time pressure on getting down to meet and great the wean. You can also scope the run from the lift onthe way up to see if you thinkit is suitable, the whole run is visible from the aeroski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am an absolutely rubbish skier and have not been down a black of any description in my last 6 ski trips. The last black I skied, and it was no problem to me at all, was Trolles. Does that help?

It is quite wide and you can traverse it and avoid the steep bits....

snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The main problem I've found with Trolles is the narrow bit just before the final steep section. It's a bit of a road which is ok if empty. However, at busy times it quickly clogs up with skiers who have become a tad scared. This group is then ploughed into by more cavalier types. The whole thing rapidly resembles a human form of tenpin bowling. And because it's narrow it becomes hard to get past. I'd suggest trying it before the queue starts (ie before ski schools are about to end). If you get down early you can always go up the far side in the general direction of Aiguille Percee for those last runs before getting to the creche.
ski holidays
waynos, why did you try and avoid hitting the dog?
snow report
Was that the same dog the guy ran over in the tour de France this year ?
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
waynos, why did you try and avoid hitting the dog?

only self preservation.
latest report
Thanks all for the top info..... I think I found the perfect solution... I'll pick the boy up early, strap him to a sleigh, push him down and follow the tracks... then he can play with the dog at the bottom while I have my well earned beer !
ski holidays
My wife avoids black runs at all costs but she went down Trolles twice last year without complaining. I agree with DCG about the narrow bit getting clogged up - it is also often scraped and icy just there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy