Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Graham Austick

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone skied with Graham Austick at St. Anton?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep - but only one day the season before last.

I did a search and saw that I had mentioned him to you briefly before - anything in particular you want to know?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, I am probably going to ski with him for 6 days in February since he is the only guide who has been mentioned there, and just wondered what he was like as a guide. Does he stretch you a bit? Does he manage to get groups of similar standards?
But after one day you won't have much of an overview!

PS I also asked the SCGB and they knew of him but knew nothing about him.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, I suspected I wouldn't be of much help!

Erm, I'd say he didn't particularly stretch us but then obviously we only had the one day. We skied a little bit off the sides of the pistes first thing so that he could assess our ability. We then skied the Valluga which is pretty easy apart from the top. To be honest I think he'll stretch you if you want him to - with 6 days to play with I'm sure you'll be doing some lots of good stuff.

We had him all to ourselves (me plus wife) so I have no idea about what standard he generally gets. Sorry - absolutely no help!

I'm pretty sure that there's a few others on here who have used him more often.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied with his collegue Tom on an 'Introd to Off-Piste' for 3days & it was awesome - started flipping off/between pistes for 1st day to practise technique, then by last day proper off-piste (involving 20mins hike to get back at end!!). He was very good & stretched us all I think. Graham took the more advanced group & I heard he stretched them aswell - so guess he tries to cater for all in the group - Def. recommend them as guides for St. anton - will ski with them again for sure if i go back there. Very Happy Smile Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
Well, I am probably going to ski with him for 6 days in February since he is the only guide who has been mentioned there, and just wondered what he was like as a guide. Does he stretch you a bit? Does he manage to get groups of similar standards?
But after one day you won't have much of an overview!

PS I also asked the SCGB and they knew of him but knew nothing about him.

I've skied with Graham for a few years and will be skiing with him again this season, probably a week or two before you do.

If you are not fit then 6 days of off-piste will stretch you.

Graham does try to get groups of similar standards together. A lot of people go back to him each year and he teams people of similar ability and fitness together where possible. He watches the group closely and accomodates for the least advanced member but has the experience to see when a member of the group is tired and would rather finish earlier allowing him to keep the rest of the group happy.

There are other alternatives at St Anton, the local ski school will take you off-piste but we only saw the local ski school on the regular off-piste runs. On the best (fantastic) runs Graham took us on there was no sight of the local ski school. I doubt the level is as balanced in the local ski school as people just turn up on the day.

Graham and his crew are not just ski instructors, many are mountain guides and they take safety very seriously.

Graham offers multiple levels of off-piste

"Levels 1 and 2 focuses on building confidence and developing technique.

Levels 3 and 4 focuses on high mileage covering the best of the Arlberg and developing your personla technical skills."

He also offers Heliskiing, Ski touring, Ski & Sail in Norway, Avalanche courses, expeditions, climbing etc, here's the link

http://www.skimountaineering.com/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB - agreed with your points (Tom was a mtn guide & very serious on safety). Have you tried a ski tour with them? Was maybe toying with idea this season if get fit enough & do another week with them in Jan? Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, Thanks for the info, I've seen his site and am in the process of booking.
Sometimes ski levels are difficult to be sure of and you get stuck with people who can't hack it, or a shortage of clients makes them put people of different standards together: which was why I asked.
I and a friend are going with his level 4 group (to put this in context: the top off-piste group at Alpine Experience at Val d'Isere is often a bit too easy, but Top Ski's "A" group is wonderful.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
melski wrote:
DB - agreed with your points (Tom was a mtn guide & very serious on safety). Have you tried a ski tour with them? Was maybe toying with idea this season if get fit enough & do another week with them in Jan? Very Happy

Haven't tried a ski tour yet but know someone who has and you need to be fit. I am planning to do a ski tour and one of the bigger trips (e.g. Norway ski and sail or Russia) in the next couple of years but don't anybody tell the Mrs. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
DB, Thanks for the info, I've seen his site and am in the process of booking.
Sometimes ski levels are difficult to be sure of and you get stuck with people who can't hack it, or a shortage of clients makes them put people of different standards together: which was why I asked.
I and a friend are going with his level 4 group (to put this in context: the top off-piste group at Alpine Experience at Val d'Isere is often a bit too easy, but Top Ski's "A" group is wonderful.

Level 4 is billed as
"You have many years experience off piste skiing in many varieties of snow. You like the couloirs and steeps and are looking to be challenged on the best the Arlberg can offer."

Explain to Graham beforehand what level you are and I'm sure he will do his best to accomodate. I believe he has more people working with him this year taking more groups so it will be easier to make a group of top level 4 skiers. Even if the group does end up a bit mixed quiet often the tired/less skilled members of the group opt to finish a bit early and Graham steps up the pace for the others.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chrs DB, maybe a few yrs yet before i'm doing ski tours, but cool thing to aim for. Norway Sail & Ski sounds awesome & would love to try one when i'm alot better - experience of lifetime i'd say -saw an article on similar thing & looked amazing. Best i carry on with circuit training to get fit else i'll regret it come Jan when trailing after one of the mtn guides absolutely knackered! Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks. I am now booked with a friend on Grahan's level 4, for 6 days from Feb 14th. I'll report how it went afterwards.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy