Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy or Austria for a weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to find a resort that is high altitude (snow sure), short flight time and decent transfer time from airport to hotel. I would prefer not to have to hire a car if possible. Also, a resort that won't break the bank.

I know that Turin, Geneva and Salzburg (i'm sure there are others) are all under 2hrs flying time from London which is great but would appreciate some advice and guidance from some of the more well travelled European Alps skiers/boarders who have sampled easy to reach resorts that don't break the bank.

I am looking at flying out on a Friday morning and flying back on the Sunday evening so that I can ski Saturday, Sunday and possibly Fridat afternoon depending on flight times.

Please and thank you. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hornster, if you don't want to hire a car, it might be a good idea to go with one of the firms that does all-in ski weekends. Otherwise, you could lose too much ski time fiddling around with buses which don't quite fit into your timetable. What time of year are you thinking of? At busy times you might find weekend accommodation right near the slopes is difficult (especially at lowish cost) and a valley base, like Sallanches or Bourg St Maurice, which might be cheap, and give you lots of choices, would definitely require a car.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The best option in Italy or Austria to meet your requirements would probably be to fly to Innsbruck, and maybe even stay in the city. You have access by free ski bus to several different resorts then, including the Stubai glacier if conditions low down are poor.

Innsbruck airport is actually within the city, so there are hotels within a few minutes transfer time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fly to Zurich, train to Engelberg. Trains are frequnt and run late enough to allow for a Friday night arrival.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hornster, if you fly from Stansted then there is a Ryan Air flight at 6.45am to Salzburg, arriving at 9.30am local time. Taxi shuttle transfers to Ski Amade are just 45 mins and €40, you can be on the slopes by late morning. Return flights leave at 9.30pm so that would give you Fri, Sat and Sunday. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hornster, What time in the season and what sort of skiing are you after? Engelberg certainly has great off piste if conditions good but can get busy at weekends, has glacier, amazing scenery. Not particularly cheap beer & food, apres ski alittle quiet.

Again if off piste is your thing google the little know krippenstein in Dachstein West area, 1 hr from Salzburg. Not been there myself, plan to this season, but hear great things. Ski Amade is a good extensive area, offers plenty of piste skiing, plenty of mountain huts, cheap. St Anton is do-able for a weekend, though accomodation can be quite hard to get at times and more expensive than salzburg area.

Can't be much help on italy i'm afraid.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
why not go to Montgenevre, which is on the French/Italian Border. It is an hour and a half from turin. It is a relatively cheap resort, snowsure and on the edge of milky way. There'll certianly be enough skiing for the week.

Im going there at christmas with go montgenevre, who are a flexible family ski company, who will give transfers.
www.go-montgenevre.com
http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=41&desc=Montgenèvre
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the replies everyone. To answer some of the questions; I am after a mixture of good off-piste and piste skiing as the wife only ski's on-piste.
There were some good destinations suggested and am currently looking into some of them.

Thanks again. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney wrote:
The best option in Italy or Austria to meet your requirements would probably be to fly to Innsbruck, and maybe even stay in the city. You have access by free ski bus to several different resorts then, including the Stubai glacier if conditions low down are poor.

Innsbruck airport is actually within the city, so there are hotels within a few minutes transfer time.

I'd echo that. The Stubai glacier has got plenty enough skiing for a weekend - as a glacier ski area it is better than Solden and far better than Kaprun in my opinion. Also it's not far from Innsbruck which is a very nice city. Also if the snow is good at lower altitudes you can ski the Olympic downhill plus there is plenty of challenging terrain actually overlooking the city.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hornster, As mentioned by Christopher, Montgenevre might be an option. We are going at Feb half term, flying Ryanair from Stansted to Turin. We have arranged the rest through http://www.skietoile.co.uk/ Prices are very reasonable for everything from transfers, accommodation to equipment hire.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeah either go montgenevre or ski etoile, theyre both rather good. I cannot stress how much i love Montgenevre, i havent much experience of elsewhere, so call me naive. But It has off piste, village charm, snow, ski to your door and easy access (no long 3 hour bus journeys). for a weekend more than enough to satisfty. Some challenging skiing to be found.

I assure you there will be no queues whatsoever if you go outside holiday times. There are occaisonal queues which can be avoided at new year/christmas. GO FOR IT!

by the way Montgenevre is a terrible resort, dont go there you'll ruin the French charm (hypocrisy there for you) Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy