Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working As a Rep

Poster: A snowHead
has anybody got any experience of it? if so how much time do you get off on average? Whats pay like? what do you get payed for? etc

Im thinking of doing it for my gap year for a season.

much appreciated

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 28-10-07 19:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christopher, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
In answer to your question, sorry, not a scooby, but good luck if you do.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christopher, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I've not worked as a transfer rep, so may be wrong, by my understanding of "transfer rep" is someone who works 1 or 2 days a week doing the extra transfers that the resort rep can't staff. Hence, you would get 5 or 6 days off....but wouldn't get paid much or get your accommodation included.

Is this what you are meaning, or have I misunderstood?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sorry my fault i meant general repping
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christopher -- Gapyears are a waste of time. Your study skills degrade fast. Go straight to uni.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No problem.

Repping depends a lot of different factors. The company you work for, the other staff in the resort, the client group for the week etc. It can be very hard work, and you are the person who cops all of the complaints. Some of them will be valid, some of them will be things you can easily rectify, a lot will be becasue the person who sold them the holiday told them lies!! It helps if you are organised. The better planned you are, the more time you will get to ski. Time invested at the start of the season in getting to know the resort and the key people in it, will pay back later on. There are "easier" jobs in resort, but there can be a lot of satisfaction from repping.

I've only done peak week repping, so can't give you a person opinion on doing it for a season. If you haven't already, it's worth checking out www.natives.co.uk
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold wrote:
Christopher -- Gapyears are a waste of time. Your study skills degrade fast. Go straight to uni.

So, why is it that mature students consistantly outperform 18 yr olds at Uni?

Go for the gap year. You'll learn loads, have good fun, and apprach uni with a far more mature attitude.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold, piffle and tosh, wish to hell I had had one, needed a break and it took a year of drinking and partying to get back on a study track
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, In your infinite wisdom you have stumbled across a somewhat controversial matter. I am currently on a gap year and I would beg to differ. Despite being relativley clever I hated school-everything about it-so unwilling to "learn" but since starting my gap year i've done a complete u-turn-I now lookforward to oppurtunities to learn once again, and believe next year I will approach uni. with a more mature understanding. So despite the fact I work in tesco to fund my upcoming 3 months in Canada, I feel I remain relativley well educated and wil make a "good go" of university.

Ross
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christopher, you will be unlikely to get a repping job with a TO at gap year age ( 18/19) Its not completley unheard of, but they generally prefer older people as you have a lot more responsbility than say chalet hosting/ bar work.

Pay - as with most ski jobs, a pittance, but plenty to live on as pretty much everything you need ( even cheap chalet wine!) is included, eg lift pass, accomodation, ski hire.

Repping itself - doing transfers, ski guiding, dealing with problems from injuries to suicides, broken marriages to broken bindings.

You'll get one full day off a week usually.

Have a look on natives to get a better idea of whats available and suitable to your skills. Most jobs, except Nannying tend to give you more than enough ski time.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheers for the advice, as you geuss i dont have much knowledge on the whole issue of working in a ski resort.

what does chalet hosting involve and how much time do you get off? etc
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Christopher, you're on the wrong site here - look at www.natives.co.uk. This is a forum for semi-fossilised old punters. Laughing

Apply for rep/chalet jobs by all means, but at 18/19 you are more likely to land a hotel position - waiting/chamber staff, bar, KP/nightporter. The world and its dog advertises on Natives - currently about 500 jobs listed. As a general guide you can expect pittance wages supplemented by board and lodging, lift pass, travel, equipment hire. Working hours about 40 a week, one day off.

And don't listen to anything Whitegold has to say - I don't think he has ever set foot outside his own bedroom.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Christopher, theres no hard and fast rules. Chalet hosting is working in a chalet, looking after guests, cooking and cleaning for them, taking them skiing, just making them feel at home. Its HARD work. I cant emphasis that enough. BUT its brilliant fun. How much skiing time you get depends on how good you are. An average day in Chalet NADE for a chalet host

7:27 - Get up
7:30 - start doing breakfast, put the porridge on etc
8-10 - serve brekkie, prep evening meal, make a cake, tidy common areas, nip round bedrooms
10 - 6 - ski/ board/ sleep / pub
6-6:30 - clear away afternoon tea/ cook and serve kids tea/ prep rest of evening meal
7:30 Lay up table
8:00 - Serve and eat dinner with guests, wash up
10ish - finish

Some days are harder and some easier depending on numbers/ guests/ weather- everything!

You'll get about 100euro a week and then you make tips on top of that ( again dependant on whether you are any good). You'll also get all your accomodation, food, ski hire, lift pass and insurance paid for. Depending on the size of the chalet you may be on your own, or with others, you'll need to be able to cook, not cordon bleu stuff ( unless you're a chef) but knowing how to put a good meal together is essential.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well i can cook a mean tartiflette! that work sounds appealing, i prefer to be doing stuff all day rather than sitting on my back bottom. you say you take people skiing? does that involve like a couple of days a week averagedly? and how good does your skiing need to be?

i apologise for being so inquisitive

money wouldnt be too much of an issue as long as i got some left over from the season and as long as i could sustain myself with drinking etc
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christopher, er, hold your horses there. Chalet hosting involves cooking food, washing up and cleaning toilets. If you want to ski with your guests that's up to you, but you do it on your own time - it's not generally part of the job. There are companies looking for ski guides, but again they prefer people with experience.

Now, go and look at Natives!
ski holidays
Christopher, ski guide- you should be a V. confident skier, able to ski reds and blacks happily.You're there to show them round the mountain, tell them crap jokes and flatter their (usually dire) ski skills. Like repping its more of an experience thing, youngest ski guide I knew was 21 and he'd already done a season as a chalet host. Ski hosts usually have to do chalet host duties too, like cleaning, doing changeover.

Natives is good- but READ some threads before you post otherwise they will eat you alive.
Are you planning on going this season or next?
ski holidays
Christopher, read this thread:
click here
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Christopher, dealing with problems from injuries to suicides,

Funny you said that, last season in St Anton a Scandinvian rep had to deal with one suicide & one attemtpted suicide! The Scandinavians seem to big into taking there own lives Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

That idea is so last century!

One learns throughout one's life time. Not just until the end of uni. Those who stop learning gets left behind by time with their useless out-of-date knowledge. Looks like Whitegold himself might be one of such? Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy