Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Been there, done that?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hola encore!

So, i'm still thinking over a little ski trip (between 1-2 weeks) and I'm still unsure as to where to go...as a beginner and as its early season (looking at the start of December), everyone is suggesting Ischgl, st. Anton or Val thorens.

However, i'll be going alone!! Ever been skiing alone?? Any tips? Are these friendly resorts? Are there any youth hostels in these areas or cheep accomodation that anyone can recommend?

cheers again,

moo snowHead (future)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moomooheidi, I spent a couple of weeks skiing solo the season before last. I'm happy with my own company, so didn't look too hard for people to ski with...however, if the opportunity arose, I took it.

Chat to people of chair lifts, stay somewhere where you are likely to meet others (ie youth hostel, B&B where you share tables at breakfast), fall over in front of a group and see if they stop and help etc etc

I haven't skied Ischgl or St Anton, but suspect that if you get in touch with the tourist office that there will be some reasonably priced pensions offering B&B.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moomooheidi, I'm hoping to head out to Val Thorens to ski bum for the season; be happy to catch a beer and some skiing with you if you decide on VT.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnnyboy wrote:
moomooheidi, I'm hoping to head out to Val Thorens to ski bum for the season; be happy to catch a beer and some skiing with you if you decide on VT.
See how easy it is to find people to ski with, moomooheidi Laughing
Now you've found snowHeads, you may never ski alone again snowHead

btw. Welcome to snowHeads
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moomooheidi, How about, if you pay i will come skiing with you? Then you won't be alone.... deal? Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah definatly Ross!! If only I hadn't thrown out that 1000€ that I made last week! Duh! Thats cause i'm blond!
So where we all heading?? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moomooheidi, I've been off on skiing holidays on my own twice before. Group lessons are good, as you get to ski with others (as well as the obvious learning/improving).

The first time I went off on my own I had two hour competition lessons each day and I stayed in a chalet, and everyone tended to mix and chat before and after eating (went for a nice meal with two brothers and their sons on the host's day off - and they wouldn't let me pay a penny!).

The second time I went I did a course for four of the days I was there (out of ten) and met up with snowHeads to drink with and ski with at other times. I even ended up skiing one day with a couple of guys who I got talking with in the bar at my hotel the evening before! That was one of my best days skiing too.

So, don't think going alone will be a solo experience. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moomooheidi, i'm sure if you are, as you say blond, and im making the assumption your female, then you will have no problem finding people to ski with Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blond, female, thats me! Ah la vie est belle! Seriously though, this solo skiing experience doesn't sound too bad. However, and maybe this could be considered a little dodgy/jumping the gun but, is anyone thinking of going to Val thorens for the first two weeks of december?? If so, maybe we could meet up??? A little ski and après ski? Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I skied solo quite a bit some years ago. Several ideas

-do a chalet holdiay, very much a UK tour operator thing, if you're lucky the crowd you share with will be freindly
-Keep cost down opt to share a room in the chalet with a stranger.
-Another way to meet people is through the ski club great britain rep system - don't do st anton any more which is a shame.
-Join a group course / off piste guiding group.
-hangout in trendy apres ski bar and chat someone up - though that never worked for me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you're a beginner don't go to St. Anton... whilst it's a fun place it's a bit 'hardcore' skiing wise, and doesn't have great 'progressive slopes'..
where to ski and snowboard ('03 version) has a great line - "absolutely the most crowded piste in the world"...

I think you're timing is a bit tricky as a lot of the 'easy answers' resorts don't open to mid dec..and those that do might be a bit quiet as it's somewhat 'shoulder season'..I'd suggest slipping your dates to early/mid-jan if you can and then going for one of the 'classic spots' such as la plagne, alpe d'huez etc..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin wrote:
.......Now you've found snowHeads, you may never ski alone again snowHead ........

Snowheads, ski on, with hope in you hearts,and you'll never ski alone. You'll nev -er ski alone!!!!

Oops. Sorry. Bit OTT.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles wrote:
admin wrote:
.......Now you've found snowHeads, you may never ski alone again snowHead ........

Snowheads, ski on, with hope in you hearts,and you'll never ski alone. You'll nev -er ski alone!!!!

Oops. Sorry. Bit OTT.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This season St Anton has moved Ladies Ski Week from April to January

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/ViewPage.asp?Site=STANTON2-WINTER&PageID=206&lang=201
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy