Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Skis - NEC Ski Show or wait till I'm in Resort ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm 40 next year rolling eyes and was thinking of buying my first pair of skis. I already have some boots (Salomon Performa 8 ) that I bought in 2005 and noticed a big difference in my skiing once I had these, although I think I need a pair of decent foot beds for them.

Anyway I'm going to the NEC ski show next week and as I've never been to a ski show before and wondered whether it was worth even considering buying a pair of skis there. My inclination is to buy in resort from a good shop that will let me try them out but I'm concerned I'll be paying over the odds for them, especially as they may have good discounts at the show.

I may not be going skiing until the end of Feb/Mar next year, so it will be a long while to wait if I get them in resort, although I'll only be able to look at them and dream in the meantime, if I get them here !

Any thoughts on this i.e. show vs resort ??

also any ski recommendations/personal preferences on skis welcome base on my info below. My budget for skis and bindings would be £350 tops.

FYI, I started skiing in 2003 and have done about 5 - 6 weeks skiing. I'm comfortable on most reds, like some speed, weigh 75Kg, 6'1" tall and quite slim.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personnally I prefer to demo some skis first before I buy. I'd wait until in the resort demo a few skis then make a choice. Most places take off the cost of the demo if you decide to buy, the last shop I bought from allowed you upto 3 days worth of hire off a pair of skis Shocked

As I had decided on one pair before I tried them, I ended up with something totally different. Had I bought my first choice without trying I think I would have been very disappointed.

At the time of year you intend to ski I would imagine there will be bargains to be had in resort at least equal if not better than any disounts available at the show. Smile

Ive no doubt some techies will be along to suggest a few models of ski to try, so then make a short list and go have some fun Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pokemon, we (Fall-Line mag) will be at the show. Trundle by the stand and have a natter - I'll try to remember to bring a few copies of last year's gear guide so you can look up stuff that's on offer as well as current models. £350 will get you a very fine pair of skis either at the show or anywhere else.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fallliner wrote:
we (Fall-Line mag) will be at the show.

Look forward to meeting you again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fallliner, Cheers. Any advice will be appreciated.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
At the uk indoor slopes the local ski shop will allow you to test skis. Why not give that a try?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pokemon, 40!! Have you considered a Zimmer frame? Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, Is Zimmerframe a new make of German ski Smile

Fortunately, I still have all my hair (of which, only a little is grey), all my own teeth, go to the gym three times a week and ran 4.5km in 20 minutes (uphill) this morning.

Unfortunately I'm not Doctor Who and cannot cheat time Sad

I used to think 40 was really old when I was in my 20's and now it seems quite young !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pokemon, The only answer to this question is......another question......How good is the bargain? Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I brought at the NEC show, I knew what I wanted for a good year now, Ski tested them a lot. The only stopper was the Price.

I asked around at the show and got last years model (graphics's only change from this years model) for £111 less then RRP. I was happy with that.
The only place I've seen them cheaper is off sport conrad and I can feel good as I supported the British ski industry.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dwarf Vader, I went but didn't buy as I'm not sure what I really need/want. When I go in March I will demo in resort and hopefully/possibly pick up a bargain as the season will be quite progressed at that point.

What did you buy ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I reckon it was a pair of K2 Apache Recons. Am I right?
The show was a bit of a curate's egg - good bits/bad bits from others?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fallliner, win's again NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy