Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lastminute.com 1 day skiing by eurostar 12th Jan £99

Poster: A snowHead
Well,

having found the deal through another thread, I've booked it.

depart St Pancras friday night 11th Jan, arrive Bourg at 06.27 on 12th Jan, hang around there till funicular opens, 1 days skiing around Les Arcs, back down to Bourg for dinner and return Eurostar ar 22.15. £99 plus lift pass. Very Happy (I can sleep anywhere wink )

offer ends sunday 28th oct.

Anybody else booked for that date? anyone skiing in Les Arcs on 12th jan?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31091#746109

Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mouth, I can handle it wink. I used to go on day trips to france from the north east on my day off - Sunderland to Calais overnight, day in France, back through the night and straight back to work. Just did a short weekend in Boston - arrive heathrow at 06.30, in work by 08.30 no problem (as long as no-one catches me asleep at my desk)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, Shocked Shocked Be fascinated to see how it works in reality, compared to doing the same but flying like Ray Zorro did last year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, I don't see the point, even if you can sleep anywhere Shocked You will be skiing not sitting around or meetings, if you lose concentration due to tiredness
you could end up ending your skiing career Sad A big gamble.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
to all who have contirubuted.......happy to send a trip report.. can't be arsed with airports and transfers.

The way i see this, if I can handle lack of sleep (which I can) then it's a winner ...give me evidence to suggest otherwise....

blytht, believe me, I will not be pushing the envelope...it;s a holiday Very Happy

xx

FenlandSkier, let's compare after the event Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, well I certainly hope the lack of sleep doesn't affect you. Have a great holiday!!
snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
george_1, george - I am saddend by your lack of faith. I know I'm old enough to be your "very big sister", bit FFS I'm not decrepit yet,...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
george_1, Im a teenager with a 70 year olds brain, I cant drink, and if i dont sleep for 16 hours a day then I cant function properly Crying or Very sad NehNeh
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
george_1, Oh, bless chuck. Come to aunty HL for lessons... wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, Well, years ago before such a thing as eurostar, i did a v similar one day trip on the chug chug disco car snow train from Calais. Me and best mate drove to Dover one friday night, boarded ferry as a foot passenger and climbed aboard the snow train. Was slightly worse for wear after the ferry and we managed to disco the night away - not easy ankle deep in beer, puke, wine, fag buts, burgers and Kevin from Saaarf Luuuunden. Probably retired to the bunk somewhere around Dijon and was woken up by a cleaner after the train had moved off into the sidings at BSM. Hurridly got changed and can vividly remember walking in ski boots along the tracks with skis and holdall over shoulders. Felt a bit like the opening of a Greg Stump movie only without the music but with a gigantic thick head. Dumped gear at the left luggage and headed on up to Les Arcs. After a lengthy breakfast and a small pile of Paracetomol, we skied one run! It was clear that we'd be better off looking for a lie down. So, back down to BSM, collected gear, and asked taxi to find us a hotel for the afternoon. He drove us way out of BSM (to rack up the fare) and dumped us at a flea pit hotel where the lady presumed that we were two boys in love just needing an afternoon in a hotel. We slept, showered and called another taxi to get us back to BSM for the return snowtrain. At this point we were accosted by a tour rep who threatened to refuse us the return journey thanks to our behaviour on the way down! I'm certain it was a case of mistaken identity. Finally rolled into Calais on Sunday morning and was a write off for a few days more. It wasn't worth it but you should still do it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller, Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

Loved it!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing Laughing that sounds pretty much like every rugby tour I've been on. Head off for 'sport', get right royally off our heads before we arrive, be far beyond playing a match of rugby (but somehow manage it). Of course on a rugby tour sleeping's cheating so more drinking is in order (following the "Avoid hangovers, stay drunk" mantra). If a tour to Amsterdam then some other light entertainment might be in order, especially for the forwards... rolling eyes Annoy coach driver by throwing up all over coach, blocking toilets and much more that can't be printed. They're usually worth it.

holidayloverxx, assuming you're not going for the 'rugby tour' style one day ski trip, then enjoy (well, enjoy either way), just wish I could be bothered to sit on a train for that long.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Daytrips or weekend trips from the UK are pointless.

You overpay, undersleep and underski.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

No question about the overpay and undesleep part. Though I don't see why it'd be underski.

holidayloverxx, you might has just set the snowhead record for £/day of a skiing holiday! Wink (No, wait, my trip to MSB was almost as expensive in terms of £/day, only not quite. And that was with a transatlantic flight involved)
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, as Bode Swiller urges: go for it and then tell us all about it.
You are a Grown-up (nearly put Big Girl, but am advised this could result in painful removal of certain bits of my anatomy) and you have read my post on another thread.
I may be too much of a softy for this, but can well imagine that others more adventurous could have a wonderful time with stories to tell for months afterwards.
I wish you all the best.
And you should thank Mr Swiller for telling you how not to do this snowHead
ski holidays
Well I think it sounds great! And would be well up for having a go - the only weekends we could go though would be the weekend we get back from a ski hols or the weekend before we go. For that price I don't see what you've got to lose - enjoy!! snowHead
snow report
So, in the sober light of day, I'm still happy with the plan, although it's not a done deal apparently, it's one of those bookings where lastminute say there's availability but have to get it confirmed by the operator.

I reckon I'll get more skiing in than usual as I'll be there for 1st lift Shocked I really just want to pootle around for the day, check out Les Arcs and have a nice dinner. shame Mr HL can't come Sad .
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, I believe a correction is required to my Marvin post on the Overnight Eurostar Direct Ski Train.
According to the timetable, you will arrive in Moutiers at 05:37 Shocked If you grab a taxi you should be up at Meribel or Val Thorens by 06:30. Half an hour to freshen up and change into ski kit will take you to 0700 when the cafes open for breakfast. After a few triple espressos and a Full English you should definitely be on the first lift - not 10:00 as I suggested.

(Unless they have changed the timetable for this season, you will have to take a taxi rather than bus, because the first bus doesn't go until 06:30 - thought I suppse you could freshen up, change and have breakfast in Moutiers instead to make use of that hour . . . . )

Of course you might not be going to the 3Valleys, but La Plagne, or Les Arcs, or Val d'Isere, or Tignes . . . . .
So many decisions. snowHead
snow report
Hi op, I have just booked this exact trip for the week after you. This is how I plan to maximise time, though certainly I haven't booked anything yet. Any advice from anyone please let me know.

Book ski equipment online at www.intersport.com. I haven't decided as yet whether to go round the corner from the train station at Bourg to hire it or hire it at Les Arcs 1600 where there is one near the funicular stop.

The website isn't that clear on the first funicular which is a shame so if anyone knows the answer to this please let me know, one page of the website says 0700 the timetable says 0830!

I have some beginners with me and I have found a ski school Darentasia that will do a private lesson for a day and meet at the funicular therefore menaing us skiiers can just get on with it and go without worrying for the morning, meet for lunch and then leave them again.

Apparently there is a lift pass office at the funicular desk so get everything there and you can get up to Les Arcs and have ski gear ready to have a quick tea and on the slopes by 9/9.30 I reckon.

A lot of people think this is barmy, I'm going with work colleagues and we're seeing it as a weekends enjoyment, rather than a long train ride to the alps, quick ski and long train ride home!

Enjoy it, I hope we do too!

Liz
ski holidays
sorry that should be interlocation.com
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Much as I luv ya Very Happy I do think you have had a barking mad moment Toofy Grin
liz09, Similar.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, it wouldn't be my way, either, these days, but I don't think it's mad. The first day without much sleep is fine, usually, and I have enjoyed a full day's skiing after an overnight on a train. It's expensive "per day" compared to a normal week's ski holiday, but not that expensive compared to the sort of daft days out people do all the time. You know the sort of thing, dinner, theatre and hotel in London. Even a day's shopping with a fancy lunch. I did hear that some people paid way more than that to watch a rugby match in Paris..... Sounds like a fun thing to do with the right friends. It'll be interesting to hear about it.
latest report
with a little more looking I think I'm going to struggle to find a ski hire shop that opens really early on a Saturday. Any suggestions from people that have been before?
latest report
liz09, you could always try asking on http://mysnowsports.com/Forums.html - that's a forum based around Bourg St Maurice & Les Arcs
snow conditions
Jonpim, "According to the timetable, you will arrive in Moutiers at 05:37 ".. yep, but am planning on staying on the train till Bourg for Les Arcs. this is the timetable:

Outbound Journey
Depart: Friday night
20:31 London St Pancras (or 21:15 Ashford)
Arrive: Saturday morning
05:37 Moutiers
06:05 Aime La Plagne*
06:27 Bourg St Maurice

Return Journey
Depart: Saturday night
22:15 Bourg St Maurice
23:09 Moutiers
Arrive: Sunday morning
07:12 London St Pancras (06:34 Ashford)
snow report
liz09 in another thread wrote:
I have a group of 9 going, 4 of which are beginners so everything will take a little longer
Take a little longer? Damn right it will!! I suggest you take a good supply of Calmingdown medicine. The first day of any skiing holiday is always chaos and everything seems to take ages. You keep losing things, you go to the wrong place, you forget things, you can't find people. But - hey! - you've got 5 more days, so relax and enjoy. But you aint got 5 more days. This day is it. I suggest you forget the Full English and go for the Full French: coffee, croissant, cigarette and brandy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Luckily I will put my beginners into a private class from 9am until 4.30 therefore relieving me the stress. I was a beginner once and won't begrudge them a bit of time to help out with ski's binding's boots etc.
snow report
I too have just booked this trip for 8 people - and i really can't see why everyone is so against it! I think its excellent!

abc wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

No question about the overpay and undesleep part. Though I don't see why it'd be underski.

holidayloverxx, you might has just set the snowhead record for £/day of a skiing holiday! Wink (No, wait, my trip to MSB was almost as expensive in terms of £/day, only not quite. And that was with a transatlantic flight involved)

Expensive!? I don't know what your skiing holidays are like, but this is pretty cheap. I have been skiing 4 times - twice organised trips, twice DIY (once on the Corail overnight sleeper to Les Arcs) and have spent between £160 - £200 per day on all of them. This trip is £99train, £25ski pass, £20 food = £145 for one day. Certainly not extortionate!

blytht wrote:

holidayloverxx, I don't see the point, even if you can sleep anywhere You will be skiing not sitting around or meetings, if you lose concentration due to tiredness
you could end up ending your skiing career A big gamble.....

Laughing Tiredness on a ski trip...i never get as little sleep as i do when on a skiing holiday, and thats every day for a week! Nothing like cold air rushing past your face to wake you up after a night out until 4am @ Dick's Tea Bar Laughing

I can't wait - i have spoken to lastminute.com, who have reserved two tables opposite each other for both directions. Dinner & drinks with friends around a table...great, just like a meal out on a Friday Night, only we are speeding toward the French Alps for a days skiing (in a superb resort)

Excellent plan! ...especially for those of us who do not have enough holiday for more than 1 weeks skiing per year.
snow conditions
Hi Hezza, Who did you speak to to get reserved seats? The guyI booked mine through said all the seats were allocated on arrival at the Eurostar lounge. Also what number did you phone? I struggled to get to speak to a human being whilst trying to book for 9.

Cheers
Liz
ski holidays
Hezza, well said - my feelign exactly. when are you going?

liz09, try Darren at lastminute on 01483 215945. He left me his number as he wanted to check a detail. have you had confirmation yet?
snow conditions
Liz, i too spoke to Darren on the number that holidayloverxxx has - he was very helpful, and phoned Eurostar for me to reserve seating.

holidaylover, 25th Jan. It's gonna be oh so good. snowHead Also - if you haven't phoned him back you need to, as they are having to enter payment details manually & need the 3 digit security number from your card. No confirmation yet, the chap at Lastminute said it wouldn't be until later in the week.

Chris
snow report
Hezza wrote:
I
abc wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Expensive!? I don't know what your skiing holidays are like, but this is pretty cheap. I have been skiing 4 times - twice organised trips, twice DIY (once on the Corail overnight sleeper to Les Arcs) and have spent between £160 - £200 per day on all of them. This trip is £99train, £25ski pass, £20 food = £145 for one day. Certainly not extortionate!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30209

Note, lift pass is included in that price.

6 days skiing for around £500+transfer. Most people add on the 7th day for another ~£20 or so. So, if you can arrange flights for under £100, your 6 day skiing works out to be around £100/day. Less per day if you ski the 7th day. My flight was more (£215). But I was flying across the pond from New York.
snow conditions
Hezza, you are going out the same day as me!
Where are you intending to ski?
We must meet up and compare notes. I promise to buy all of your group a drink snowHead

I'm going out the civilised way: Eurostar to Paris, amble across town to Gare Austerlitz, relaxing meal with wine and a few beers, 1st class sleeper down to Bourg, arriving 06:39, relaxed, refreshed and raring to go snowHead snowHead

And really Hezza, we are not against what you are doing. Go for it, I say! But some of us who have suffered the Overnight Direct Ski Train feel honour bound to inform anyone considering the trip or our experiences. You may well come back saying I am a complete wimp and talking a load of tosh. That would be wonderful. Its just not for me.
latest report
Hezza wrote:

I did a week for last season for the total equivalent of £95 pp per day.

A daytrip is atleast 50% more expensive.
ski holidays
My goodness. £200 per day for skiing Shocked

I would expect it to come in around £65-90 per day for a trip. Any more than that and I'd never be able to afford 4+ weeks a season.
snow conditions
Thanks for the contact at lastminute, I will definitely call tomorrow to try and reserve seating. As you said that's half the fun of it travelling down together and having a laugh so we won't want to end up seating apart.

I haven't as yet had confirmation which I was slightly worried about but seeing as everyone hasn't either sounds ok.

Cheers
Liz
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
My goodness. £200 per day for skiing Shocked

I would expect it to come in around £65-90 per day for a trip. Any more than that and I'd never be able to afford 4+ weeks a season.

Well the £200/pd was in Meribel last year, main problem being our regular trips to Dicks Tea Bar - 10-15Euros per drink!

Sad

*Edit - just re-checked my figures, wasn't anywhere near £200 - more like £160....good job, as i am going back this year snowHead
ski holidays
I've booked Montgenevre this year, cost £645 for a weeks catered chalet including travel. Add on £100 lift pass and £200 drinks money then it's looking somewhere around £150 a day and montgenevre is supposed to be one of the cheaper resorts. Saying that it is a great chalet, and we have got exclusive use (and a jacuzzi!)

So £150 for one days skiing looks about right to me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy