Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Voss, Norway--Anybody been there?

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of going to this village in January, Inghams do 2 hotels there. I would like to hear from anyone who has skied there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Julieanne, Are the hotels The Park and Fleishcers (Sp??)?

We've been a few times and loved it......Missus R32 learned to ski there......can still find groomed pistes at 3 in the afternoon!! No queues, cheap lift passes, safe, could even leave skis unlocked overnight in lift station and find them in the same place the next day Shocked . It was minus 17 one morning so lots of warm clothing needed!! Everyone's really friendly and all speak perfect English if your Norwegian's not up to scratch. Don't be shocked when you see some 90 year old Norwegian lady telemarking up the hill faster than the lift and then light a fire and have a cup of tea at the top Shocked Smile . Some people may find it limited if they like 'motorway' skiing....

We took the car over on the ferry and stayed in the Park Hotel (on the lake, but 5 mins walk to lift)....little dated but clean and a nice restaurant....but Missus R32 ordered a bottle of cheap 'House' wine and it was £40 Shocked!!!! The other one Fleichers Hotel looks nice but not stayed there and it's nearer the lift.

Not a lot to do on an evening, but we were so worn out from skiing we didn't mind!!!

A totally different experience to the Alps.

Will see if I can find some pics.......
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
R32, Thanks! Sounds a nice place! My Norwegian is non-existent, so it's good to know everyone speaks English, and I do not mind that the skiing is not extensive, as I'd only go for a few days. I'll keep in mind the price of wine (but luckily I can't drink much more than a glass!). I have an old friend who lives in Voss, so I may combine it with a visit. Fleischer's Hotel is with Ingham's--glad to hear it's near the lifts. Would love to see some pics! Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Julieanne, been twice .............................................. many moons ago with the school when i was 15 and 17 years old. wink

loved the holiday but i love skiing Blush , we stayed in the youth hostel on the lake but it was a trek to the old cable car and could never recommend it for anyone over 12 lol.

the lifts might have changed in the last 20 years, the people were great.

not the place to go for a drink tho unless you take plenty of duty free. Crying or Very sad

I would go back for a family holiday or to see friends like you, one thing to remember is the hight of resort as i belive its just above see level and although cold i think they have had some dodgy conditions early in the year but you woyuld have to research that. remember i went when winters were winters.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Curtains, No.....I don't think the lifts have changed......most definitely the same ones as when you were 15 Laughing Laughing .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Curtains, R32, hmmm. Thanks for the info--interesting! I think I'd leave it to last minute to book it---depending on the snow conditions. Are the lifts safe..if so old?? Confused

(I've had experience of some dodgy antiquated lifts in Yugoslavia years ago...I wouldn't want to repeat! Shocked )

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 27-10-07 19:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Julieanne, Think I have saved pics to disk.....somewhere!! But found these on the laptop ......

View of town

Missus R32 on one of the empty pistes!

Frozen river!!

Taken in Feb 2006 I think!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Julieanne, Lifts are old....but 100% safe Very Happy .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
R32,Great pics, Thanks! Looks lovely and uncrowded! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i've been a couple of years ago., stayed at the fleichers, food great, skiing very very quiet, i think they have a couple of new lifts from 2005 when i went. only down side is beer prices, second mortgage needed. fleischers hotel buffet very nice. and they have english tv all the time, seem to remember watching a star wars film in the hotel, which was novel. don't expect huge apres ski stuuf though, but having said that, i saw 10 of the most drunk people i've ever seen on the saturday night, the norweigans know how to party!

if you get chance take the train, either back to bergen to go home, or the other way to mykdal, its spectacular - http://home.online.no/~sulvund/Voss_Now/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not been to Voss but went to Geilo. Echo the other posts. Biggest downside cost of alcohol is prohibitive, so much so that bars were empty most of the time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JONR, Thanks for that link, lovely photos there too. Fleischer's Hotel sounds good, how long is the walk to the lifts? Can one leave skis in lockers on mountain or at lifts? Colin B, I'd go for the skiing and visit to friends --so wouldn't mind the non-drinking aspect at all Little Angel

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 27-10-07 23:08; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
R32, if i posted my pics i'd have to scan them first , i dont even think scanners were about then .bbc and sinclair spectrums lol
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fleischers is the station hotel. you have to walk over a railway bridge and up a hill for about 300 metres. gondola goes from there up to top of hanguren ski slope. its ok, not too strenuous. we left our boots, bags and kit in top gondola station, no lockers, but not needed, people in norway don't steal other peoples shoes! that was one of the nice parts of going, was a very safe and friendly place. not much to eat on the mountain for lunch, its kind of a hotdog and fries place for £7 or so, but evening buffet in hotel makes up for that

its not a big resort at all but it does have a certain charm
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mrs RH (a Wiking) is over in Norway at the moment, will let you know about Voss in particular when she gets back. Norway in general is in general, beautiful, friendly, expensive (or is that just the women!!!!) The skiing is not a challenging as the alps, they ski on hills not mountains, no I dont know what that means either. You will get a warm welcome from the locals who will put us to shame with their second language.

Will post next week.

Have fun.
snow report
Doesn't look like a friendly place to me...

... and the locals look like they might be a bit of trouble too! Toofy Grin

(**Okay, I know ESB was shot in Finse but it's all the same country at the end of the day Smile)
snow report
Roy Hockley, looking forward to report from Mrs RH! Smile

Specialman, Shocked Shocked Laughing
Thanks! Better warned than sorry!
ski holidays
Specialman wrote:

... and the locals look like they might be a bit of trouble too! Toofy Grin

Uncanny how this local resembles the old friend I was intending to visit! Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy