Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TIGNES snow report winter 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

'WHERE WE ARE'

It's only October but Tignes is coming to life (must be all those snowHead ) and all the important places are open (Alpaka, Nevada sport, Escale Blanche & The ESF) with other retail outlets Sad opening soon.
No smoking in Bars etc comes into effect in Feb 2008 so most of the bars have decided to introduce it early and have already banned smoking Little Angel

Lots of British clubs here last week enjoying some 'on snow' training along side established World Cup & Europa Cup stars. Autographs on helmets & bibbs seemed to be everywhere.

'CURRENT SNOW CONDITIONS'

Today was awesome, clear blue skies, warm temperatures & no wind Blush

All the glacier lifts,except Leisse, were open, with Rossolin opening for the first time this winter Laughing Quiet a few people about but no queues Laughing
The pistes on Descent & Rossolin were in excellant condition. 3500 & champagny were not quiet as good but were still ok, the reserved race pistes were basically sheet ice Puzzled

'NEXT WEEK'

French half term has started so next week is going to be busy Sad
Some snow is forecast mid week but we will have to wait and see Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stewart woodward, excellent report. I look forward to further snow reports from Tignes, and expect you to make sure there is regular snowfall between now and the end of January snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I remember there was a reserved racing piste when I went to Stubai last January for the Austrian racing team and it was basically as you said sheet ice... I enjoyed carving on it but maybe thats just me...

Get some piccies!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good to see the snow reports resuming - this must mean the ski season has started! Toofy Grin snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here we go again. Nice one stewart woodward, keep em comming
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from a fairly easy morning on the Grand Motte. Rosolin is in superb condition, and OK elsewhere (although bits of Champagny and 35 are bullet proof). Weather was very pleasant, with blue skies and reasonable mild temperatures. I'm making the most of it as a bit more cloud is forecast from the end of tomorrow. Very busy first thing with loads of junior race clubs, but the lift queues get shorter as the morning went on.

The good news is that I haven't forgotten to ski. Always a worry at this time of year! New ski boots are very interesting - I've not skied in boots so stiff before, so that's going to take some getting used to. Slalom training starts tomorrow - let the humiliation begin...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a good time rob@rar - good luck!! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another great day Blush Wall to Wall sunshine & warm temperatures. It was colder in August Puzzled

Only skied around 3500 area today, where the conditions were mainly very good, but i heard good reports about Champagny & Rossolin Little Angel

Quote:
French half term has started so next week is going to be busy

Well it was busy at the funicular this morning but thankfully on the hill very few queues, probably due to the fact that we skied around 3500 all day, looked busy on Rossolin.

Pretty testing first day for rob@rar in the gates where he caught a few in the face Sad must have been the reason why he wimped out of fitness training wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any pictures? I'd like to see some pics...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Pretty testing first day for rob@rar in the gates where he caught a few in the face

rob@rar, Hope you are ok?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar,

How do you manage to spend so much time in the Alps and do you ever get bored?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, I was wondering that too. Are you somehow living off a trust fund?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another enjoyable day, but still catching gates in the face Embarassed This is the most demanding skiing I've ever done - with icy conditions and sketchy technique making it a real challenge to keep it together and not lose my head entirely. I was actually excused from fitness testing on Monday (Wink), but I did go for a run instead, and I think I'll have no such luck for the sessions on Wednesday and Friday. Made a bit more progress today, despite battling with a migraine all morning (it was less than pleasant having to vomit behind the 35 draglift building Sad). Video analysis tonight so I'll be able to see just how much work I have to do to get even remotely close to the the other guys in my group, who are an absolute joy to watch (as well as being fun to ski with). It's snowed a bit today, but not much more than a dusting. Once again we were given a lane on 35, which remains pretty icy especially once you start running the gates. I think we'll probably be there for the rest of the week, although the lift queue there is much shorter than Rosolin at the moment.

No trust fund, and no boredom Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, you amateur/semi-pro skier or something along those lines? I feel out of the loop...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmaah wrote:
rob@rar, you amateur/semi-pro skier or something along those lines? I feel out of the loop...

Just a keen recreational skier.
latest report
Linds wrote:
Quote:

Pretty testing first day for rob@rar in the gates where he caught a few in the face

rob@rar, Hope you are ok?

Sorry, missed this yesterday. Yes, I'm fine - I have a chin guard on my helmet so the gate bounces off causing nothing more than a big blink Smile
ski holidays
fitness training as well as skiing Shocked
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:

The gym in Tignes is usually full after skiing.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:

Get ready for it mate. I've told Emma to be especially beastly to you and Graham Smile
snow conditions
rob@rar, thanks my knees hurt already just thinking about it wink , having fun or trying to survive?
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, thanks my knees hurt already just thinking about it wink , having fun or trying to survive?

Both. Great fun but the hardest skiing I've done. Conditons aren't great (steep red, all ice) so I'm well outside my comfort zone, but making progress although you wouldn't really believe it if you saw me in the gates. Fortunately my free skiing when doing drills and exercises there is a noticeable improvement.
snow conditions
rob@rar, you certainly deserve to improve, putting in that kind of effort and commitment. Hope the headache's better too. The change of altitude/pressure can be bad for migraine sufferers, I believe?
snow conditions
rob@rar, do they let you keep a vid at the end? was debating about bringing a camera with me.... gates on steep icy reds is beyond my comprehension at the moment as i depart to the dry slope for my weekly humiliation...
snow report
skimottaret, I try to take a copy by downloading the footage straight to my laptop, but sometimes it doesn't happen for a range of reasons. Phil and Emma are very happy for you to take a copy of the footage if you want.

pam w, thanks Smile Yes, altitude occasionally triggers it, but I've been OK since the heaqdache I had earlier this week.

Finished the skiing now, just one more fitness session to go. I'll to a review of the week as soon as I can.
snow conditions
rob@rar, gulp! Shocked Sad
I suspect that the excuse I used last year - "I forgot to bring any gym clothes/shoes" - won't work this year.
It's just taken me two days to recover from my last attempt at a "run" Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Back from fitness. Hard work (the pain from walking backwards up a steep hill in a tuck has to be believed!) but fun. Ski service talk in a little while, then dinner and probably a night in the Alpaka. Only trouble is I can hardly lift my arms so drinking might need to be done via a straw Smile
ski holidays
Last week was BUSY, BUSY, BUSY lots & lots of French & Italian race clubs making the most of the Tignes Glacier. A little bit of pushing & shoving in some of the lift queues resulted in the odd international incident and 'Handbags' being thrown Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

The last few days have been wall to wall sunshine with very warm temperatures Little Angel which has resulted in very early season suntans Little Angel

The pistes are holding up very well, although sharp edges are necessary for when you hit an icey patch wink

Today most of the French & Italian kids have gone home Laughing and it was much quieter with few queues.

Snow is forecast for most of the Alps, at the end of next week, so hopefully we will soon be able to ski down to the resort Blush
snow report
Webcams show that most of the lower snow cannons are going. Does this mean they're trying to build a base prior to a dump, what's the forecast out there like?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevew wrote:
Webcams show that most of the lower snow cannons are going. Does this mean they're trying to build a base prior to a dump, what's the forecast out there like?

Yes all the snow cannons have been working - we've got lots of big white dots all over the place Shocked
Forecast is for SNOW on Friday down to 700m, and SNOW on Sunday & Monday snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
liking that forecast, flying out on wednesday i think...
ski holidays
Nice to see you back Mrs W! snowHead Hope you get some good snow this weekend Very Happy
latest report
Slight dusting of new snow in Tignes this morning Blush but it is pretty windy Sad

Not sure if any lifts will be open today due to the high winds but the snow is very welcome.
ski holidays
Currently dumping it down in Tignes, let's hope it sticks. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Check out the webcam http://www.tignes.co.uk/webcam.htm
snow conditions
ennalsj, shame the council estates in the UK don't get more snow - they'd look so much nicer. Madeye-Smiley Good to see Tignes get some snow, I've done many an early season trip to tignes, most with ample snow, one year was snowless - so more time in the bar. So you've not been washed away in norfolk this morning? Good to see some surfers making the most of the conditions from the "skycopter" I guess it's the same NWs that will blast Austria with snow this weekend.
latest report
waynos wrote:
ennalsj, shame the council estates in the UK don't get more snow - they'd look so much nicer.

You're surely not suggesting that Tignes looks like a council estate Madeye-Smiley I've not been before but will be at Val D'Isere for a week from 8th December, and at Tignes for a week from 29/12 so been keeping an eye on webcams for any early season snow. But you're right, it's amazing how a bit of snow can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. ( Although Hemsby might be more challenging Toofy Grin )

We've not been washed away yet - mind you the tide would need to come in about another 10 miles. Don't surf myself but always amazed when I see the surfers at Cromer - the must be really hard core Very Happy
latest report
ennalsj, er yes he is! and er yes it is in parts! Tignes is a pretty ugly resort but saying that Espace Killy ski area with snow is an amazing experience. If it continues to snow it looks like that you will have a fab skiing holiday.
snow conditions
Snow for the past 3 days but combined with winds over 150km/hr has resulted in the glacier being closed Sad
Have seen a few people getting fresh tracks on Double M by hiking up before skiing back to Val Claret.

This morning it is a little 'quieter' so hopefully some lifts will be open Puzzled

The good news is it has been cold so the snow cannons have been operating and a good base is being developed.
ski holidays
Tignes (near enough wink ):

snow report
Quote:

The good news is it has been cold so the snow cannons have been operating and a good base is being developed.

Can I get excited yet...please Laughing ? I'm off to the boot camp in two weeks time and can't wait, just hope the snow doesn't melt now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy