Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me !!! Where can I ski in Early December?

Poster: A snowHead
Hola!!

I need a holiday and have 2 weeks off in early December. Can anyone suggest a suitable ski resort that will have guarented snow cover? My low down is as such:

I'm going alone so a fun resort would be good.
I'm a beginner so teaching or maybe snowboard or cross-country skiing options would be nice.

Any ideas are more that welcome.

Cheers Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-10-07 15:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moomooheidi, hi, think that before you decide where it might be good to decide what you want to do on the snow? Many resorts cater for all the disciplines but as a beginner maybe better to chose one and book some lessons.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome.

Head high. The village must be at atleast 1800 meters. It must have plenty of snowguns.

Try Val Thorens in France.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold wrote:
Head high. The village must be at atleast 1800 meters. It must have plenty of snowguns.
Well it doesn't matter so much where the village is as where the skiing is.
But yes, any French resort whose main skiable area is down below 2000m is likely to be a bit chancey snow-wise in Dec. Once you get further into the Alps, the snowsure altitude drops a little. For example, snow conditions at about 1600/1700m in Austria tend to be quite similar to those in France at 2000m.

That's a big generalisation of course because U just never know what the weather will do in any given week Wink

Welcome to snowHeads moomooheidi snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 27-10-07 12:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tignes, Val Thorens, 2Alpes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Early december pick somewhere with a glacier that is open!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
cross-country skiing options

quite a few resorts have rather low, valley-based, cross country tracks, which would be dodgy for early December. I noticed a sort of track in Val D'Isere (La Daille, I think it was) but it looks miserable, just shuffling round a short flat track, really, with a lovely view of the car park. I suggest you forget cross country, which is a very different discipline, for this trip. You'd be unlucky not to find plenty of downhill skiing in Tignes in early December and you don't need a lot of pistes open to have fun, especially if you have lesson. If you want to do cross country later in your skiing career, go to a resort known for its cross country skiing, where it's more than an afterthought. But I would strongly recommend you have lessons; it's not as easy as it looks and it's no fun if you just shuffle around on a flat track, rather than doing the proper gliding steps and learning how to negotiate gentle gradients (anything other than gentle gradients are for experts!).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to everyone for your amazingly quick replies!

I have seen that Ischgl seems fulled geared up for the new season in December...any recommendations or negative aspects about this resort?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go for Banff? Cheap as its early season, no worries about snow (they plan to open in 2 weeks)!

CHeaper than you may think!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One decent option is to rent a car and head anywhere in Ski Amade, Austria. That way you can pick and choose from a couple of Glaciers (Kaprun and Dachstein) and bonus from the higher Gasteins and try out different places like Schaldming at the weekends. Accommodation should be easy to find around this time (unless there is a mega dump) so you really can just pick and choose from a massive, massive ski pass. Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moomooheidi, if you want "guarented snow cover" I suggest you try here snowHead

It would seem Kramer or Megamum has been there already - difficult to tell which in those suits Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am offto val thorens cos of the height. i heard they spent 5 million euros on snowmaking last year alone and this is the highest resort in the alps!

check out www.skivalt.com for a neat litle apartment too cos my friend owns it
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Leave it at late as possible before you book - early snow can be very localised. eg You could have poor snow in Tignes but great snow in Alpe dHuez.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Reddiamond, when you off to Val??? BTW, that appart looks pretty good, wouldn't mind a week or two but need some people to fill it up with me...any offers???
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
moomooheidi, Ischgl will be truly awesone in early December. Almost (if not all) runs and lifts will be open. The snow will be fresh and fluffy, the pistes will be quiet and the sun will be shining. Apres ski will be top notch.

Well' at least that's how I convinced 6 mates to join me on a weekend there 7-9 Dec. One can hope I guess, but when booking this particular trip lots of research including help from fellow Very Happy's and Ischgl locals reassusred me that it would be a good choice for that time of year.

If you want a better guarantee of good conditions, then head up the next valley along, to either Solden or Obergurgl.
ski holidays
if your travelling on your own, book the week before, you can then work out which areas have the best snow and can probably make a tidy saving.
ski holidays
masmith,

Hi, I'm looking at Ischgl for a short break from 8/9 Dec to 13/14 Dec - how are you getting there? I'm finding flights to Innsbruck rather limited, and I've read that the transfer from Salzburg is 3 hours, which seems a bit long for a short break!
snow conditions
vetski, flights into Zurich from Luton with Easyjet, worked out about £45. Then we pick up a 9 seater minibus for drive to Ischgl. 3 hrs max transfer, hopefully a bit less. Yes, it's a long transfer for a short break, but it's all part of the fun (if there's a few of you) and, when put into perspective, the extra hour or so (compared to other skiable resorts at this time of year) is not a great hardship. Once you're there you'll soon forget about the transfer. On the last day our flight back isn't until about 20:30 so no need to leave Ischgl until late afternoon.

One of the budget airlines (Easyjet I think) are starting an Innsbruck route, but not until mid-December if memory serves me right.

Let me know if you end up there ....
snow report
vetski, Am sure you're already aware, but Friedrichshafen is better placed for Ischgl than Zurich, but not so much as Innsbruck. Ryanair fly there from Stansted.
snow conditions
Thanks for that! Friedrichshafen only occurred to me about half an hour ago, so I haven't figured out the transfer bit yet - but will let you know if we end up in Ischgl. I've also been considering the Milky Way, but your description is very tempting...
ski holidays
I'm of to VT for opening week (23rd Nov) Never a safe bet but as good as it gets.
snow report
moomooheidi, you can afford to leave it till nearer the time and see where the snow is, you'll have no problem with getting accommodation for that point in the season. At the moment, the snow is looking better in Austria, but who knows what will happen in 4 weeks time.

Other considerations to those listed above that you could definitely put on your watch list...

Obertauern
Obergurgl
Hintertux
Zermatt
Cervinia
Les Deux Alpes

There may well be others by then - even some lower resorts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy