Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which one?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Age old question here. Which one & length: Volkl 7/24 EXP, Supersport 5 Star or 6 Star? My old Rossi's were 191. Too long for fun now. Looking for something responsive and as happy to be on the mountains as I am.

Skiing since 1967 (you can do the math Confused ) , Knees have long since seen their better days, 5'8" @ 175 lbs. Likes: all-mountain fun. (Skip the bumps please), long carving turns at speed and short tight turns too, variety!

All opinions welcome and appreciated Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CaSea4Me, welcome to snowheads. I'd recommend Dynastar Intuitiv 74's or 71's, although I haven't tried their replacements yet I did read a review that said you'd be better off searching out the old models. I also like the K2 Axis Pro. Like you I'm a mature skier and I'm more interested in finding a ski that suits my skiing rather than the latest fashion. We have a chalet in France from where we run a small holiday company so I can usually get a reasonable amount of skiing during the season. We have a number of Dynastar skis availble for our guests to use, the main reason we use thenm is that appear to be the most durable skis I've found other than K2s.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From what you've said either the 5 stars or the 724 the 6 stars may be too stiff for what you want. I'd lean more towards the 724's though
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems I'm leaning to the 7/24 EXP's @ 170. People I've spoken with seem to think it's a better all round ski for me. They've also mentioned that that 6 star is a bit too "twitchy". Nad your thought's?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Twitchy" is just code for not being able to handle the ski, typically it'll have a relative instability that'll make it easy to initiate a turn with a minimum of force, if your weight’s all over the place the ski will keep breaking out when you don’t want it to, hence twitchy. Easily fixed by either weighting correctly or buying a different ski Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CaSea4Me,

I'm 5'9" and 182lbs and I've got the 5 stars in 168cm. They're absolutely superb piste skis for both long fast carving and short turns etc and are particularly good on ice with excellent edge hold. They're also great when you want to throttle back a bit and just cruise around in the afternoon when those knees get knackered. I found the 6 stars too stiff for me and they just seemed to want to 'race' all the time.

I haven't done much off piste with my 5 stars (hopefully more in Verbier in Dec) although I was told by the Volkl guy at the B'ham ski show that the Supersports are only really for occasional off piste use while the new 724 EXP freeride ski would be a better option if your off piste work is up around the 50% of your skiing time. He also reckoned that the 177cm would be fine for my build and would give more floatation.

Incidentally, the Nov Ski & Board magazine has just tested a bunch of these new breed of freeride skis and the 724 EXP did very well in the Expert (level 7 -10) category, coming second I think. However, the K2 Apache Recon was rated no.1 in 7 out of the 12 categories examined, with two seconds, one third & two fourths, so it must be pretty good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy