Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Borovets or Bansko.... which is best for snowboarding. If theres any snow of course

Poster: A snowHead
Borovets or Bansko.... which is best for snowboarding. If theres any snow of course.
Not really bothered about noghtlife as going by myself on tight budget and just want to hit the piste.
Flying from humberside or doncaster.
Going to France with the family but will have a bit of cash in reserve for a jaunt to bulgaria
thanks Andrew Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
save your cash and dont go to either. there are a lot better places to go before bulgaria. seriously its crap, and not as cheap as you think either
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andybabes, Bansko. Despite what graeme says .. it is cheap... where else can you get a week lift pass fo rthe equivalent of around 70 quid.. beer is super cheap.. don`t smoke but they are ridiculously cheap to. Food is great. Snow is usually pretty ace end of Feb/beginning of March.

graeme, err it isn`t crap. It just isn`t the most challenging place.... unless you go hunting for off piste gems.. of which there are many.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I ski. Ihad my first year Feb break in Boro and my 2nd Feb break in Bansko.

Bansko is better.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
graeme, let em go, more space in western europe for the rest of us... wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mrtoastie, I agree that Bankso is the better resort, but unless you are going on a package, the lift pass is likely to be (again) around 270 lev - £100. Too much in my opinion for the 60 odd km of terrain.

If you plan it right, you can prob get to some much better resorts for a similar cost to Bansko.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never been to anywhere except Borovets but I love it! Check the site in my sig for more (honest) info on both sides of the coin.

graeme, to simply say 'its crap' isn't fair - Why did you find it crap? Skiing is skiing whereever you go. Fair enough it isn't as challenging as some resorts / America or Canada however it all comes down to trading the challenge & quality for price.

I am at instructor level and I still don't find it boring, The runs are long enough to have you tired by the end of them & asmrtoastie says, if you go hunting off-piste there are some amazing runs (the 2nd hardest piste I've EVER ski'd was off-piste at the 'avalanche place' in Borovets, seriously scary stuff!)

I honestly can't fault Boro, great nightlife (in season) enough skiing to not get bored and CHEAP!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DoA, how on earth can you say bulgaria is good when you havnt been anywhere else except borovets. and the second best piste you skied was borovets, for fecks sake all the pistes you have skied have been borovets. i stand totally behind my comments, bulgaria is crap,
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are all entitled to our opinions and just as entitled to share them. It is, however, more valuable if you are able to justify your opinion, unlike some posts I see. Here is my opinion on Bulgaria.

Bulgaria (Borovets especially) in my opinion isnt "crap". And here is why.....

Its simple, its got a mountain, it gets snow and more importantly its value for money.

We are a family of 5 including 3 young daughters. My wife and I did a bit of skiing nearly 20yrs ago and loved it. Then family commitments get in the way and low and behold 20 yrs have gone by and you want to take up skiing again and more importantly want to introduce your offspring to the delights of mountain pursuits. One problem, its a bloomin expensive way to spend your time. By the time you take into account clothing (which they grow out of very very quickly) and the cost of the holiday for 5 it can be quite daunting. We found that Bulgaria and Borovets in particular provided us with an afforable way of taking up skiing as a family. Now I know that for a more advanced skiier / boarder Bulgaria isnt going to provide many challenges but my family and many others arent advanced skiers what we want is the mountain air, the physical exertion and the massive social side that makes skiing such a great way to spend a holiday. The skiing is perfectly adequate for beginner intermediates which is what a great many people are. Nowhere else can you spend a full afternoon slope side in a restaurant feeding and providing drinks for five or six people and still get change from £30. Sometimes you have to queue, sometimes the food aint great, sometimes the ski school dont get it quite right, some times the hotels arent great ...... sounds like just about everywhere else from time to time doesnt it? Not everyone is going to like it, thats fine, but we and many thousands of others do. So before you make up your mind do your research but dont take any notice of single word arguments such as "crap". You may mjust be missing out on something. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cobra.., what you said. Far too much snobbery on here at times.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cobra.. b]Lizzard[/b], totally agree...

I would like to go out for a ski with the guys on here who belittle resorts such as Bansko just because they aren`t yet classed amongst the iconic mountain resorts such as Val D, Chamonix, Kitbuhel, Zermatt, Whistler etc etc..

My first reason for skiing with them would be to see if their skiing/boarding skill and daring justifies the comments they make.
Secondly it would be most interesting to find out if they are really such totally pompous arrogant uneducated pratts in real life.

Evil or Very Mad snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

see if their skiing/boarding skill and daring justifies the comments they make.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I'd put money on NOT, frankly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, I would also wager that if I showed them photos I have taken of skiing from around the world they would not be able to pick out which were taken in Bansko.. they may be surprised by the snow quality and terrain.. when I was in Bansko in March 2006, although heavier than the powder in BC, the snow was quite possibly the best I have ever skied on in Europe.. that includes your biggies such as Kitzbuhel, Zermatt and Val D`Isere....

I continue to be dumbfounded by the sheer ignorance of some people who like to call themselves snowsports lovers..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank god there are some normal people on here!

graeme, I didn't say Bulgaria was good, I said:

Quote:
Never been to anywhere except Borovets but I love it!

To be honest, I've been skiing for over 10 years, do you really think I've only ski'd in Boro?

FYI I've been to

Whistler / Blackcomb
Killington
Les Deux Alpes
Chamonix
Val D'Isere

etc. etc.

So please don't tell me what I know about skiing.

mrtoastie, ditto - I would love to do that

Cobra, that's exactly my point - Its a resort and a mountain with good runs and snow on it. What more do you want? To go elsewhere to a more expensive place is just pathetic IMO just because it isn't a 'cool' resort.

I would also agree 100% with the fact that you must justify your opinions, after all not everyone is gonna like every resort so a difference of opinion is neccessary & healthy, but it must be justified.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like we are all in agreement then Very Happy

andybabes wrote:
Borovets or Bansko.... which is best for snowboarding. If theres any snow of course.
Not really bothered about noghtlife as going by myself on tight budget and just want to hit the piste.
Flying from humberside or doncaster.
Going to France with the family but will have a bit of cash in reserve for a jaunt to bulgaria
thanks Andrew Madeye-Smiley

Andrew, if you would like to get a bit more info with regard to your question you could try posting your question on the forum to be found here..... www.skidvd.co.uk

They are a bunch of Bulgarian winter sports enthusiasts who will be able to answer your question without the usual hangups. They are a jolly helpful bunch who sorted me out several times when I had questions before we went over. Lots of them have spent many weeks in Boro, Bansko and Pamps so you should find your answers very quickly.
BTW Andy, when are you planning on going over?

If im not allowed to post a link to another site then I apologise I have no vested interest in that site but I thought a straight question deserved a fair crack at a straight answer. snowHead
latest report
British snowboard school in Bansko . . . Good guys.
snow report
DoA wrote:
Thank god there are some normal people on here!

graeme, I didn't say Bulgaria was good, I said:

Quote:
Never been to anywhere except Borovets but I love it!

To be honest, I've been skiing for over 10 years, do you really think I've only ski'd in Boro?

To be fair to him (spit!), that was what you said was the case.

From what you now say, I assume that what you meant by saying that was that within Bulgaria you have only skied at Borovets. But that was not how it read.
latest report
Just a few photos I found whilst surfing... I would stick my own up but am at work.. on plus side I have only got 3 more weeks of office hell.. then 5 months back on the white stuff..

The below could be at any resort.. but hey .. guess what.. its Bansko..

http://bulgaria-photos.info/wallpapers/BanskoSkiLift1280x1024.jpg
http://www.eurobuild-bg.com/images/bansko-ski_slide.jpg
http://www.primeoverseas.com/property_images/cms_web_images/Bansko-ski-slopes-in-Bulgar.gif
http://www.invest-in-overseas-property.co.uk/DynamicContent/Images/Bansko-ski+1.jpg
http://www.escapetobulgaria.com/UserFiles/Image/bansko_ski2.jpg
http://www.escape2bansko.com/images/on_the_slopes/snowboarder.jpg
http://www.mysecondhomeinbulgaria.co.uk/img/Bansko/bansko_ski_9.jpg
snow report
Hey...that was fun...a good spirited display of opinions.

I want to see more!

Bulgaria really is vrap.....

GO!
snow report
Bulgaria is not that cheap. If you get some late deals, and have a bit of flexibility in your schedule there are cheaper and better deals. You still have to pay for plane tickets, the skipass is not cheap (compared to the "smaller" western resorts) and even expensive given the size of the mountain. The snow record IS iffy and there is no real snowmaking.And all this when you can get in Austria a nice BB for 20 euros per person (look at the villages in the SkiWelt circuit).
IMV Bulgaria is worth the punt only if you are sure there will be snow (no early bookings for me, thank you) and if i can get it for under 600 euro uncluding everything 9even the cab to the airport). Otherway, it's over priced, it's not snobbery it's getting your money's worth.
ski holidays
sugardaddy wrote:
Bulgaria is not that cheap. If you get some late deals, and have a bit of flexibility in your schedule there are cheaper and better deals.

Thats more like it. A much better argument against Bulgaria than the single term "crap" used earlier.

You have also hit the nail right on the head my friend cos I dont have flexibility in my schedule re 3 daughters all of school age. As for your 600Euros, well give or take a couple of quid thats exactly what it is costing us including a nice bus to the resort, skis and boots, lift pass, ski school and a nice hotel on a half board basis over the road from the Gondola station. Also bet you dont pay 80p per pint in Austria. I also forgot that if you are staying in a nice B&B you need to budget in the cost of your evening meals. We have ours all in. Plus its so cheap to enjoy good food in Bulgaria that it doesnt place a particular burden on our pockets if we wanted to ignore our half board arrangements at the hotel and eat out every night anyway.

So you are right, not snobbery just lack of research. Believe me Ive done the research, it came out as the best option for us as it does for many others.

Very Happy
latest report
alex_heney, thank you for pointing that out.
DoA, if your gonna say something at least be clear

like when i say bulgaria is crap, at least i am being clear. in my oppinon bulgaria is crap
latest report
Cobra..,

I agree mate. Ok, it may not be fortunes cheaper to go to Bansko (for example) than numerous other French/Austrian resorts, but (and it's a big but!) it is fortunes cheaper once you are there.

Comparing my trip to Chamonix at Easter to my trip to Bankso in Jan just confirms this. I go to ski first and foremost, but like to have lunch on the mountain and enjoy a few beers apres like anyone else. The only way that I can get to manage 2 trips in a season is if one if to Bansko. I'd love to make it 2 to Cham, but the £££ just won't allow.

Whats better, one trip to Cham and wishing I had the £££ to go back, or one trip to Cham and a trip to Bankso?

Whilst it (Bansko) will never compete with other larger resorts, it really is a cracking place to ski. Thats the main thing, isn't it? We all share a love of the snowy stuff, who cares where we enjoy it! I'll no doubt continue with my trips to BG, but only if I get to play in another, so called 'better' resort as well.
snow report
I went on my stag week to Bansko a couple of years back and had a great time. The pistes are all served with very good lifts, the snow was fantastic, the food and bars in town were great. Have to say it was one of the best ski trips I've been on.

We paid £275. That was pass, accomodation, transfers and flights. There are some great last minute deals.

To me skiing is about the company and I've got some great friends that swear by Bansko. I personally prefer the bigger Western Europe resorts apart from the ones that are full of people that look down on other resorts.

Never done the other two so would never comment on them. Sking in Bansko is not a lot cheaper that many places in France however if you like to go out every night till late and consume you body weight in beer and eat out in some very good local places then Bansko becomes very cheap compared to Western Europe.
ski holidays
mrtoastie wrote:
Cobra.. b]Lizzard[/b], totally agree...

I would like to go out for a ski with the guys on here who belittle resorts such as Bansko just because they aren`t yet classed amongst the iconic mountain resorts such as Val D, Chamonix, Kitbuhel, Zermatt, Whistler etc etc..

My first reason for skiing with them would be to see if their skiing/boarding skill and daring justifies the comments they make.
Secondly it would be most interesting to find out if they are really such totally pompous arrogant uneducated pratts in real life.

Evil or Very Mad snowHead

I've been with them and some of them are. What a laugh. Giggle. Saw some of them drinking as well ! They attempted to stay dry by booking into a hotel where the bar was closed. You wouldn't see that in Bulgaria. I managed to lose a couple of them (deliberately) when they followed me into a nightclub looking for real ale. Some dammned good skiiers amongst them though.

We met in a resort high up in the French Alps the skiing was comparable with Bansko Bulgaria but the pistes were dotted with some strange geeky people talking about cloud formations and speed skiing. Sound engineeers were seen outside mountain restaurants and were heard to comment on the bad acoustics from the loud speakers. Canski fell asleep listening to the banter one day and was forced to wake up to the ski sunday theme tune ringtone which was being shared around.
The runs were plentiful but pretty dull compared to the tree lined pistes of Bansko.

Was interesting to see how the other half lived.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
snow conditions
david@mediacopy wrote:
British snowboard school in Bansko . . . Good guys.

By the way, nice link. Ash and his guys certainly are worth going to.
snow conditions
The question we should now ask is "Bansko or Borovets, is it overhyped?" From reading some of the above there are some that believe that Zermatt or Val D are on a par with Bansko. wink Interesting notion. Alas mrtoastie, those photographs would suggest to me that the views are not comparable to the Matterhorn.

Not that I am biased one way or the other but some may say that Dorking utd are comparable to Chelski !!! After all they are both football clubs! Bansko or Borovets would be a nice place to go on holiday and one day I will get over. A friend has an apartment there and we may get over there but he is trying to sell but cant.

Cobra.., very fair point in relation to costs of the major resorts elsewhere in europe. It is important that your children have the opportunity to get on the mountain and learning to slide. It should not be an elitist pastime, there are others here that will look down their noses at others. Ignore them, they may or may not be good skiers. I am not going to be elitist or snobish about their ability against others. Whether you ski race at internatiional level or are perfecting your snowplough the exhilaration to the individual is the same to that person. "Skiing is like sex; you dont have to be good at it to enjoy it" wink Laughing Laughing
latest report
I have skied in all three of the major resorts in Bulgaria over the last 3 years and I am going back to Bansko again in Feb. All three are very different. Pomparova is a purpose built resort. Most lifts are modern with some needing upgrades. The slopes are ideal for beginner and intermediate. My instructor was excellent and the snow was fantastic having fresh snow most days. Bansko is rapidly changing but again all lifts are modern and efficient. Probably more suitable to intermediates than beginners. again snow was great having fresh everyday we were there. The village is not purpose built with plenty of traditional places to eat. Borovets is older and is overdue for the planned renovation. Snow wasn't great (last year) but slopes were a good mix for beginners and intermediates. I believe the advances slopes are few unless you go off piste (which I understand are plentiful). In all resorts the local people we so friendly they really make you want to return again and again. All resorts were really good value for money with eating and drinking places to suit all tastes and budgets. Each year the hotels have been excellent (Borovets being slightly worn). This year we are staying in the 5* Kempinski which has had great reviews and apparently would not be out of place in any resort. Roll on Feb Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley, I suggested that it was not iconic "yet". The pictures I stuck up were the first ones I found whilst surfing the net and I used them as an illustration of the snow quality. The Pirin Mountain range is spectacular. It may not have a Matterhorn.. but that doesn`t mean it is not beautiful.. I really must stick up some proper photos.

Of course the terrain hasn`t been developed as much as in Zermatt .... how long has commercial skiing and exploitation of that mountainous area been going on compared to Bansko..?.. a long long time!!. I have skied in Zermatt and loved it.. I have a zillion photos of the Matterhorn.. but is it not a bit more exciting to go somewhere that hasn`t been visited a gazillion times.. to experience a totally different culture.. and alphabet for that matter?

Mogs, the Kempinski is awesome.
snow conditions
OK, look for example here http://www.radstadt.info/winterurlaub/en_index.htm for some pretty good prices IMHO. Depending on how much you pay for your flights you can pay similar money to Bulgaria and get much better value for your money. Skiing wise it's better, the beer might be more expensive, but then i go to a skiing holliday not a beer drinking one (i.e. the price of beer is really my last concern when choosing a ski resort)
ski holidays
sugardaddy wrote:
OK, look for example here http://www.radstadt.info/winterurlaub/en_index.htm for some pretty good prices IMHO. Depending on how much you pay for your flights you can pay similar money to Bulgaria and get much better value for your money. Skiing wise it's better, the beer might be more expensive, but then i go to a skiing holliday not a beer drinking one (i.e. the price of beer is really my last concern when choosing a ski resort)

Fair point. I cited beer as an example of typical in-resort costs because although I dont have beer price as a factor in determining my holiday destination the quality and cost of the social side of a skiing holiday is a determinant. (A beer is a familiar measure for comparison whereas citing a typical cost for lunch / dinner could mean anything. I do happily consume the odd glass of Kaminitsa as well though Very Happy )

We seem to have got into a "my resort is better then your resort type dicussion" which was not why I participated in this thread. My resorts are better than your resorts for my personal reasons and your resorts are better than my resorts for your personal reasons and thats perfectly fine. I did take exception to the term "crap" that someone used earlier in the thread. It didnt answer the question that was asked. We still dont know why this person thought it was crap? We still dont know if they have ever been? It added no value and probably hacked off the originator of the thread. My point was, post an opinion by all means but justify your opinion so that it has some value. Thats all, simple really. Very Happy

N.B. Case in point. The originator hasnt posted to this thread since and has probably found their answers somewhere else.
ski holidays
mrtoastie, I accept your assertion that Bansko is not as iconic as Zermatt. That was my point, some argued the point that they believed it was. No doubt that it would be a good place to go on holiday, the problem is with some posters "over egging the pudding", possibly that is why the OP hasn't come back. They may have felt that some have a view that is rose tinted rather than being independant.

I love being out in the open surrouded by mountains, sun and snow, wherever it may be. It is wrong to call a place "crap" especially when the poster has not been there themselves. I would enjoy it as it has the above criteria. However as stated by others if it was a comparable resort to one of the more established places ; those comments and poster are leaving themselves open to ridicule.
ski holidays
At the risk of getting shouted out for being biased because I live in Bansko ( I sincerely hope Im not), I do believe Bansko to be the better of the two for snowboarding. And before any one says it, yes i have boarded and skied in Borovets many times before moving to Bulgaria. My reason for believing it to be better is the lift systems, width and the length of the pistes, access to the off-piste and the ease and access to boarding in the trees.

As for Bansko being CRAP, Im not going to go off on one! everyone has their own opinions whether they have visited or not! But, just after we moved to Bansko a long time friend who had 20 years skiing under his belt came to visit us with the expectation of finding the skiing and the holiday for that matter boring and uninspiring. The following paragraph is an extract taken from what he wrote in our guest book and in his own words.

'Having been skiing in Austria and France for twenty years, I was happy enough to have a holiday where I did some skiing as opposed to a skiing holiday. A brand new fast eight man Gondola whisks you up to the slopes which are wide and intermediate, the big plus being that most of the skiing is below the very high tree line. It reminded me very much of my early skiing years in the Austrian Tyrol. You get the feeling that Bulgaria's going to be a happening sort of place. So there you have it, no regrets and I'll be visiting next year for certain'.
ski holidays
Cobra.., i don't think it's a "my resort is better" debate. Rather, i think that Bulgaria is getting too expensive for the skiing it offers, and that the "cheap" image is not that correct. I posted that link to ilustrate my point, it was just something that i was able to find fast. Maybe if i tried i could find even better deals - my point being that you can have a very nice skiing vacation in Austria for under 700 euros per person, so when looking at prices for Bulgaria keep that in mind
Glynis, this is what caught my attention in your quote:
Quote:

I was happy enough to have a holiday where I did some skiing as opposed to a skiing holiday
snow report
sugardaddy what exactly is your point ?
snow report
What is the cost of a S/C holiday in Bansko. I had assumed it should be about €400 a head, flights, transfers and accomodation. Extras are alway "extra"!!!! Dave Canski, I like your banner!
snow conditions
Are there any previous years month by month snow report archives available for the bulgarian resorts?
Hope there's enough snow there in early Feb '08. rolling eyes

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 2-11-07 8:02; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
I like the fact that taking your own ski equipment + storage at your resort only costs £17 (round trip) with Balkan ski holidays to Bansko
ski holidays
cc_7up wrote:
Are there any previous years month by month snow report archives available for the bulgarian resorts?
Hope there's enough snow there in early Feb '08. rolling eyes

You shouldnt have any problems in Feb. From what Im told Borovets and Bansko are usually skiable by late December. We were in Borovets in very early January last season and despite poor conditions then we were able to ski every day, even down at the village level. The locals are forcasting a harsh winter, well they would wouldnt they, but there has been some snowfall already so we will have to wait and see. I will have a root around for historical snow records and post a link. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, I am paying £600 for a week in feb in a 5* hotel (B&B) 50 meters from the main gondola. That includes flights, transfers, ski (and boot if reqd) hire, lift pass and 4 hours a day ski school for six days. We could have picked up a hotel for around £100 or more less than that but opted for convenience and comfort
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy