Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lib Tec Magne Tech edge snowboard. Any opinions?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm due to change my board, and am off to Canada in a day or two.

I like the reports of greater grip (especially on "hard snow"), but are there any trade offs?

I still use an old Ride Timeless, but it's too flexible for the majority of my present riding, and I'm looking for a stiffer board around 162/163.

Any you guys rode/own one?

Cheers, John.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr Lizzard has one and loves it - enjoys the hardpack these days instead of whinging incessantly about it. But he reckons it only works if you're carving your turns - if not, you won't notice the difference.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BCjohnny, heard the same thing as Mr Lizzard . . . you've really got to have good carving technique and use it most of the time for it to feel any different than any other board. I like the idea and am looking forward to playing on one. Any chance of you trying before buying in Canada?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hard carving is where I spend most of my day, hence the question. Powder days obviously the exception.

I intend to try a few boards when out there, but wanted to narrow it down a bit. I like the thought behind the edge design. Just wondered if the trade offs outweighed the gains.

Cheers, John.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I looked at this board but was worried about its ability to schuss and thought it might lose speed quickly on flattish bits. is this true?
I board with alot of skiers who i reckon take me on flat bits deliberately!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Magne traction has been around for a few years now. It is generally believed to be quite good. The truth will out when the patent runs out. If other manufacturers copy it then they were on to a good thing. The same with Flows.

I am suprised that you think a Timeless is too flexible as it is one of the stiffest boards around. I have a 2003 model.

If you want stiff and fast then I recommend an Option Vinson, Salomon Burner or a F2 Eliminator ltd (regarded as the fastest soft boot board on the market).

But for carving on hard pack the Lib with Magne may be your answer. Lib graphics rule aswell.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Phil......

Sorry about delay in replying, just got back today from Canada.

The board selection was poor, this time of year, so wasn't worth the trouble to test.

My Timeless is a 158 circa 1997, so is an old board (but can still be made to go). Compared to one or two other boards I've tried, it's not that stiff (Salomen, later Timeless 163.....). On really hard pack I just need more edge at speed. The supposed forte of the Lib Magne........

As it turned out it snowed every day bar one, so it didn't matter that much. I still intend to try a Lib Magne. Not because I'm the type of bloke who needs the latest gear (evidently.......), but it's now what is actually required. Guess it'l have to wait 'till next year.

Cheers, John.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BCjohnny, it you want a stiff board you should try one of these:

http://www.donek.com/01_products/freeride.htm

I've had one for years - top stuff.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, the 2008 Lib range has magne traction on the vast majority of its range now, so there must be something in it. I would give it a go if I were you.

Get your mouth watering with this link -

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=327720#327720

They have new technology called skate banana. I think they replace the normal camber (they way the base usually lifts up in the middle) with reverse camber (banana effect). Lib seem to be at the forefront of tech innovation at the moment. Technical innovations within the snowboard manufacturers excellent at the moment. Laughing

Take Bataleon. Small manufacturer now has a decent market with its triple base technology. There are new board manufacturers starting up every season. Great stuff. Plenty of technology for the ski conglomerates to copy no doubt. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What were they on when they designed those things? Bleedin' marvelous Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought I might chime in as someone who has just spent a season out every day on a Lib Tech MagneTraction. Mrs Lizzard reported my opinion accurately, you have to be on your edges to notice any difference. Once you're there you can stick an edge in all over the mountain, even on groomed ice. I still find sheet ice a wee bit tricky, but I'm working on it.

As for speed...the board comes with a sintered base as standard, holds more wax = faster, but the very fact that you're on your edges means you're faster anyhow. I am often overtaken by rad boarders in sick gear hooning past me on the steep bits as they point their boards straight down the mountain. I continue making my pretty curves across the 30 degree slope - going as fast across it as they are down it - then overtake them on the flat, still carving. Putting your board flat on piste is generally a mistake. It's slower and risks catching an edge, non?

The one advantage that no-one has mentioned yet is that when the conditions get a little hard and all the gnarly boarders are in the bars complaining about it, you're still out having fun on the slopes. Very Happy

I am currently looking to buy an all mountain freestyle board, and the one thing I am certain of is that it WILL have magnetraction.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stephen bleakley wrote:
BCjohnny, it you want a stiff board you should try one of these:

http://www.donek.com/01_products/freeride.htm

I've had one for years - top stuff.
Yeah!! Donek makes some great boards. Another company to check out is Palmer. Those guys make some good top end boards that rail on hardpack/ice. If you can find a Palmer Crown anywhere, that'd be the one to pick up. My husband rides a Palmer Crown now, he use to ride a Donek and race hardboots. So he's very into being able to hold an edge on any sort of conditions. He got the Palmer Crown last season and couldn't believe how well it rode!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Didn't find this thread first time around or could have saved writing a new one. Thanks Lizzard for replying anyway Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Didn't find this thread first time around or could have saved writing a new one. Thanks Lizzard for replying anyway Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Going out to Fernie in 9 weeks (5/3/2008) so hopefully will get some loaners to try out. Nothing worth looking at last year in Jasper so didn't bother. Too much powder anyway.

Will post opinions on return.

Anyone out in Fernie early/mid March? Missus having another crack at skiing, but I'll be on my jack most of the time.

Or Soldeu 7-17/2/08? With my mates but they ski. rolling eyes

Mr Lizzard..............all the things I'm looking for, by the sounds of it, thanks.

John.
snow report
Palmer Clutch/Carbon circle. Amazing for hard carving. Better for carving that anything Ive ridden from Burton. You can always find them discounted on ebay (because they do not hold there value well - though it don't make it a bad board).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy