Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mogul skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to buy a new pair of skis for this season to complement my 1080 foils 06-07 models. I really enjoy the foils and am looking forward to using them in the park more and they have been a good all mountain ski for me so far but I do want to upgrade this season. The fall-line review has been great but there is so much choice out there and what I really do enjoy skiing is bumps and moguls as well as the off piste.

What characteristics should I be looking for in a ski with this in mind. In terms of stats and also stiffness etc. Any pointers would be great thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The experts tend to wear them short and thin for moguls, I've noticed.

Go for the 1080 guns. My friend loves them!! (mind you, they're not very thin...).

I'd recommend Rossi B3's personally (or the B83 as they're now called). My last skis were 1080 thruster equivalents (bought before they did different types of 1080s).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the_aliasskier, They used to recommend detuned slalom skis with less stiff tails. Short radius turn specials.

I would have thought a narrow waist would be a bonus too. Old Salomon Superforce 3s used to have 61m waist back in the old days before shaped skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't believe that I am the only person in the world that thinks it's easier to ski moguls with fatter skis?

I've not got the best mogul technique in the world but I can ski the zip line. It freaks me out on narrow skis as I have to really lever the ski over to get the edge to bite. On fat skis it's so much easier...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
parlor, Rossi Scratches popular, including the BC, Line/Karhu, scott p3

I think the fatter tips (way over 120mm) on higher shapes are more objectionable than waist.

and...how far apart are your feet in natural stance?

Will you have to be careful in Minneapolis/St. Paul?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

on narrow skis as I have to really lever the ski over to get the edge to bite. On fat skis it's so much easier...

Puzzled

I'n really confused... Why is it easier to do that on fat skis?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the_aliasskier, bumps and moguls? Not just one or the other?

There was a thread recently where one of the manufacturers has produced a bumps ski for this year, Elan IIRC. Given that their headline ambassador is Glen Plake, they'll probably resemble a pair of DH boards.

Any decent piste ski will do. Maybe a "2nd" line slalom or GS - I.e. not a full on race ski more a race carver. Ah, I see that's already been suggested. I rather like my old (4 years?) 9XOs in a rutline. They're quite short...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 25-10-07 18:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, why are you needing to get the edge to bite? And you surely are the only person who finds wider skis easier wink Give that you're hauling around on those big fat barges of yours (110mm underfoot?) that implies your feet going to find it hard to stay together which may be part of the reason behind the quality of your technique... Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the_aliasskier, stats don't tell you anything. You just need to go out, find a bump run you like and try lots of pairs of skis in it till you find a pair of skis you really like.

Maybe you should start with a bump run you really don't like and see if you can find a pair of skis that gets you liking it?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc, I think it might be easier for parlor to get the underfoot edges to bite, and nothing more general than that.

I was wondering whether there's a bit of knock-knee there, hence my Larry Craig reference.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch wrote:
Maybe you should start with a bump run you really don't like and see if you can find a pair of skis that gets you liking it?

Heh heh, yup.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, in natural stance my feet are actually quiet close together, I think? Certainly narrower than my shoulders. I have to concentrate to move them further apart.

When I ski bumps my feet are very close together.

David Murdoch, Sorry, not really edge bite. I enjoy scraping the back of the mogul with the edges under my feet. My barges are 130mm underfoot, and I find them easier to ski a good line in mogul for instance than my everyday 112mm. 84mm and I'm looking to get out of the mogul field ASAP. I don't dislike mogul fields, I just a have a preference for skiing away from everyone else. For those that know Verbier, I consider Tortin a warm up and ski the zip line top to bottom without stopping.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor, we are not worthy.... definitely not worthy... Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor wrote:
......For those that know Verbier, I consider Tortin a warm up and ski the zip line top to bottom without stopping.

Cool.

I'm looking forward to witnessing that in Jan.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother, don't sell yourself short Wink

spyderjon, me too. Bring it. Twisted Evil
snow report
parlor wrote:
I can't believe that I am the only person in the world that thinks it's easier to ski moguls with fatter skis?

I've not got the best mogul technique in the world but I can ski the zip line. It freaks me out on narrow skis as I have to really lever the ski over to get the edge to bite. On fat skis it's so much easier...

A mid fat is a great compliment in a quiver for moguls.
something 85-92 ish, sound right?
ski holidays
SnowHot, see above. I don't think he's looking at anything thinner than a PR or SD, so neither compliment nor complement.
latest report
David Murdoch- Thanks yeh I guess bumps as well - I might try that out hopefully early this season then. Might take my dads 2nd line slalom ski out and test it - its in the 170's I think and then go from there
Parlour - I have heard similar things but damn a 130mm that is hell of large I would have thought for moguls but awesome for powder charging haha!
Cheers for all the advice and good to see debate is even here about mogul skis Very Happy!
snow report
parlor wrote:
I can't believe that I am the only person in the world that thinks it's easier to ski moguls with fatter skis....

My skis are 65mm and 90mm underfoot, although not massively fat I find it easier on the 90mm's. I'm crap on bumps though.
snow conditions
Quote:

I really do enjoy skiing is bumps and moguls as well as the off piste

the_aliasskier, if you want something good for moguls AND off-piste you want the width underfoot for float, but not something too long which will hinder you through the bumps. Go shorter & fat & reasonably flexy. Unless you can find a specific mogul ski (which some manufacturers produce), go for a freestyle ski. Ignore those who have recommended slalom skis as they are cr4p off-piste.

As for which freestyle ski, I haven't tried that many new ones so can't really make a personal recommendation, but that is def the type of ski you should be looking at. I used to own a pair of soft twin tips and they did what you are wanting.
snow report
the ice perv, My F.I.S. factory SL-Rs are just fine off piste thank you very much.

And the implication was that his existing skis were fine off piste., non?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 26-10-07 14:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
parlor, What a stupid thing to lie about, skiing bumps. Puzzled Twisted Evil
snow report
The new Head Mojos with the nice ladies on seem to be finding favour with a few bump skiers, according to da word on da street. From a tech point of view it's because they're quite straight, got good pop with light tips and tails. From everyone else's point of view it's because they've got the Graaf Sisters on the topsheet wearing very little.
ski holidays
fallliner, is it the ski properties or the nice lady? Wink
snow conditions
The twin tips help............
snow report
SnowHot, it is purely the remarkable technical properties. Very Happy
ski holidays
the_aliasskier, you might want to see if you can get a preproduction version of these> http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=745720#745720
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
parlor, What a stupid thing to lie about, skiing bumps. Puzzled Twisted Evil

You gotta feed the animals sometimes. Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch Is that at my expense hahaha? Very Happy Razz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy