Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lack of Ankle Flex... Is it you or your boots?

Poster: A snowHead
JT wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Not been that successful clicking the lean forward in BOTH positions.. getting one is ok but I need to be a bit surer that I have clicked once or twice as there are no visual refs....

I guess you're talking about the Endorphin? It's a total waste of time and widely considered to be so, just a gimmick. For all practical purposes it's impossible to engage, I think Davidoff commented much the same on Pistehors as well.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

First thing to check and correct is the ramp angle of your boots

how do you do that?

ok - I got the links up again for you

skimastery.com

snowind.com

there are 2 articles that are helpful here...but it really is very simple...put your ski boots on and stand on a flat smooth floor in what you think is your natural, ready stance/posture...if you feel your muscles are tensed even slightly to hold you in that position you are not in optimum fore aft balance....try putting a CD case under the heel of eahc boot ...you will probably feel very out of balance now as if you are falling forward over the fron of your boots..you may have to straighten up your back to stay balanced...keep a big mirror at your side to watch what happens...then change the CD cases and put them under the toes...is that more comfortabkle than no cd case..it will almost certanly be more comfortable than with the cds
under yr heels...that demos the principle...now try by putting a 2 pc under each toe...then put 2 coins on top of each other until you find the most comfortable amount of elevation under yr toe...then try again with nothing and keep checking to see what feels most comfortable. If you can adjust the forward lean on yr boots put them in the most upright position possible before you try this...that may be sufficient on it's own..it is not uusally enough but try anyway - if ankels are over flexed it means the knees are overflexed to start with and that is almost always caused by the boots forcing excessive forward lean and then made worse by excessive foreard ramp angle insie the boot, often the shell has an inherent ramp...the heel piece much higher than toe...especially atomics...then bindings...atomic bindings are 2 mm higher at the heel than the toe...rossi and look can be as mcuh as 8 mm higher at heel....MASSIVE DIFFERENCE.....the ramp angle is then exaggerated even more if you have a short boot...the shorter the sole of the boot the greater the ramp angle even on the same bindings ! You see...there is NO consistency between manufacturers...many people prefer atomic skis unwittingly simply because the ramp angle is fairly low...full rcae dept ski bindings are FLAT...NO RAMP AT ALL....many pro racers have their toes higher than their heels...this is not to make tourists look like amateurs..it is because they have had their ski,boot and binding combination set uop to match their INDIVIDUAL physique, skeleton etc..and to find their most efficinet natural position...it should be no different for any level of skier...most skiers are unwittingly disadvantaged by the very design of the equipment they have bought/hired. Boy...you can see how I feel about this can't you. There are tions of full cert pro instructors who haven't looked at this and will say they have done "fine" up to now...i guarantee if they had their equipment checked and optimised for them they will notice the difference and like it..and will get far less fatigued...i guarantee it...but you try and tell them !!!!!! They have all the badges they need !!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ise,

That is ok, as long I don't go searching for something that you can't get... I was thinking that two clicks complicates things and wanted the boot more upright anyway...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
krunchie63, thanks for the links and explanation. I havent had my boots checked but would like to at some point. just last year got proper foot beds and a tighter fit boot and that made a big difference.

will have a good read on everything at some point, cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have found this thread really helpful many thanks.
Just a word of caution, I managed to strain my Achilles tendon last season doing the ankle flex hopping it took six months to recover.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT wrote:
ise,

That is ok, as long I don't go searching for something that you can't get... I was thinking that two clicks complicates things and wanted the boot more upright anyway...

If they're going to do it they need a better feedback otherwise you can't tell it's engaged, utterly hopeless rolling eyes I tried the max forward lean setting and couldn't get on it which surprised me, so it's no loss. I was using my MegaRides today and I'm really impressed with them as well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
krunchie63, that's very interesting and may explain why I prefer the Flexons. they are more upright than many boots to start with (even with the bigger 'bung' in), but I also found the Fischers almost perfect straight away - maybe it was the binding setup or the combi of all the above? I would say that my bootman (take a bow Cedric), has now 3 times managed to make me footbeds that make me feel vitually perfectly balanced. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, It's a doddle when in your binding with the heel fixed. It's the same system as Megaride so one can assume the stiffness is the problem, so as i say this should be fixed if clicking into your bindings first. Do you need help tying up those laces on the liner too? Twisted Evil Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
krunchie63, Balance points will be different for everybody, a CD case maybe too much for you, but not enough for others, dorsiflexion can be tested quite simply or as you pointed out somewhere else, you can play around yourself provided you understand the effects and have the time. Otherwise a Bootfitter can get you there quicker and probably more accurately.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

I can get one click...but no problem, I have only had a little outing with them on snow (MK) so I will see how it goes.

I don't have the zips laced up...yet, still trying to pack down the liner, which I think is getting there. Come Jan, I don't expect
much problems with the fit.

ise, good snow where you are then already? ... We have booked out chalet for Jan so looking forward to that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, This is getting a bit confusing for me... I had always assumed that racing and "expert" type boots tended to have a more agressive forward lean but now hearing that isnt the case and a lot of models are very neutral and have an upright stance as a midpoint.

is forward lean less important to balance than getting the ramp angle right?

would your typical slalom or GS boot these days be set up neutral or iwith an agressive forward lean?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

I can get one click...but no problem, I have only had a little outing with them on snow (MK) so I will see how it goes.

I don't have the zips laced up...yet, still trying to pack down the liner, which I think is getting there. Come Jan, I don't expect
much problems with the fit.

ise, good snow where you are then already? ... We have booked out chalet for Jan so looking forward to that.

It's no easier with the boot in the binding.

Yes, good snow so far :

http://snowslider.net/2007/11/17/all-downhill-in-zinal/
http://snowslider.net/2007/11/16/earning-the-turns-in-grimentz/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret,

I'd say the thinking is that the more upright stance you start in gives greater scope for the stiffness of the boot to work against the ski.....

ise,

Great pics so early in the season.. I think the top cover looks pretty good from here. Expect it to be thin but it is November. I hope the temps stay.
As for the boots, one click is ok...what I don't want is one click on one boot and an inadvertent two clicks on the other...that I somehow miss...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, Every boot, irrespective of level or skier should be checked for dorsiflexion and angles. This subject is so vast and deep i would only confuse by detailing the process further. The upright stance of W/C derived boots is about return to origin, bringing the skier back faster to change direction. I love this subject but between my clients, Epicski and here, i'm chatting about nothing else. "Ramped out" i am.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, fair enough it is saturday night go out and have a beer Laughing
latest report
ise, cool pix as ever Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
krunchie63, Balance points will be different for everybody, a CD case maybe too much for you, but not enough for others, dorsiflexion can be tested quite simply or as you pointed out somewhere else, you can play around yourself provided you understand the effects and have the time. Otherwise a Bootfitter can get you there quicker and probably more accurately.

Thanks for the back up ! I was just pointing out the principle to a sceptic - if I had gone to a fitter like you many years ago I might have been able to qualify much sooner.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy