Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best value lift passes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So what is the best value lift pass?

I'll start by suggesting the Salzburger Super Ski Pass, buy early and get season pass for 482euros

http://www.salzburgerland.com/eng/tid_uniqa_helmaktion_129654/direktlink.html

Covers 23 ski regions, 2200km piste and 800+ lifts

Having paid for season passes in Val d'Isere, St Anton and Fernie (BC) this does seem very good value.

Val is 980Euros for this season but I guess it includes the thrill of skiing with hords of brit toffs, ski bums and of course a few french.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bh1, Not looking for a definitive answer but the 2 I quoted represent a huge range.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grand Massif does season pass for E399 Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waynos, what's the best value for money ski?
what are best value for money boots?
what's the best value for money car?
what's the best value for money toaster?
what's the best value for money hotel?
what's the best value for money ski cos?
what's the best value for money insurance?
what's the best value for money value for money? rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My next year's season pass will be 213 Euro.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good question.

In terms of quantity, the best value liftpass will be one that offers the most lifts and runs for the longest amount of time.

The Salzburger Super Ski Pass does appear to offer very good VFM, at around 60 cents per lift, 22 cents per piste-kilometer and €4.3 per day (assuming a 16-week season).

Val d'Isere is roughly €10.9 per lift, €3.4 per piste-kilometer and €5.6 per day (25-week season). It is up to 18 times more expensive, but you get a longer season and tougher runs.

In terms of quality, this will depend on what the buyer wants.

If they want tough pistes and a long season , then somewhere like Chamonix or Val d'Isere will win.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A season pass for Whakapapa or Turoa NZ. Get in Early and you can get them for around £140.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waynos wrote:
Val is 980Euros for this season but I guess it includes the thrill of skiing with hords of brit toffs, ski bums and of course few french.

This alone makes it excellent value! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the Espace San Bernado 6 dya family lift pass at about €518 is excellent value. Even more so when you consider how long you actually spend on the lifts Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold, Val certainly offers some of the best lift served off piste around but the piste are generally just motorways like most places.

The Salzburg pass runs from 10 Nov to 4 May, longer than val. However not many resorts covered will be open for that period of time.

The with Val season pass what I found annoying was the lack of days you get elsewhere - 1 day at Les Arc, 3V, reduced cost here and there. Maybe that will change with the new left company in charge.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
75sfr for the select few for the jungfrau region season pass, and no I am not one of the the select few Sad

Are those tourist prices for the season passes? That's crazy money.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stab, who you asking? Salzburger - yes that's bog standard tourist rate
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If bought before end April for the following season, the TopCard covering Flims/Laax, Lenzerheide and Davos/Klosters (you do the piste maths) was CHF 915
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Espace Diamant prices for next year include an 8% discount on the early season promotional rate for anyone who had a season pass 2006/7, because of the poor snow conditions last year. That makes my season pass, if bought before 1 December, just 279 euros, which I reckon is a bargain for almost 200km of quite varied terrain. No use having hundreds of kilometres if half the runs resemble the other half too closely!
latest report
 brian
brian
pam w, wow ! Under £200, that's impressive. The Anniviers one is nearly £300 for 220km but I think you get 10% off if you buy a group of 3 or more. The weekly passes are nice and cheap, 7 day pass is £95.
ski holidays
waynos wrote:

I'll start by suggesting the Salzburger Super Ski Pass, buy early and get season pass for 482euros

http://www.salzburgerland.com/eng/tid_uniqa_helmaktion_129654/direktlink.html

Covers 23 ski regions, 2200km piste and 800+ lifts

Having paid for season passes in Val d'Isere, St Anton and Fernie (BC) this does seem very good value.

Val is 980Euros for this season but I guess it includes the thrill of skiing with hords of brit toffs, ski bums and of course a few french.

And an incomparably better area in terms of skiing - if not in terms of mountain restaurants. Does it really have 'brit toffs' these days? What are they? Fellow snowheads? When I used to go, the skiers just seemed ordinary folk. Still last time I went was something like 6 years ago. I know it's fashionable to knock Val D. I wonder if that's because those in the trade can't afford to set up there, and want to attract trade away from a long favoured area.
snow report
achilles, well i'm not in the trade. I've skied val loads in last 5 years, had fantastic time, i'm not knocking it but no where is perfect. There are certain weeks in the season when the toffs do come to town - I've had an incident with a whole herd (sorry family) on the piste. They had clearly been on the wine for lunch, one of them skied into my wife who was sat down (snowboarder) at the time, but at the side of the piste and not over the brow of a hill. The skier who skied into her was looking backwards at the time, head between his legs, going quite slow but even so! I had some polite words to say and before you know it his brother harry chucked a punch my direction. Brave little public school boy, only had about 15 friends and family with him against my wife and I. Several of them joined in giving me a good pleb bashing. I'm not sure mummy was too pleased with her boys and I might add girls. An ESF guy looked on in amazement, brits abroad - well val anyway.
snow report
waynos, Shocked
Maybe I have been there at the right time to avoid such company - usually January to keep the cost down. Perhaps that's too cold for the beasts you came across.

PS I enjoyed the week - all too long ago - when I skied the Salzburger area, too.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 25-10-07 21:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
brian, you do have to be 60 to get that price, though we oldies only get a small reduction. The passes cost a lot more if bought after the end of the promotional period, so it's vital not to forget to get the order in during November. Our season pass, if bought before end November, costs the same as about 2 weeks pass bought during the season, so it's well worth thinking about for anyone thinking of more than one holiday, and I think the same holds good in many other ski areas.
snow report
Quote:

Does it really have 'brit toffs' these days?

Oh yes. Offensive late teenager trying to jump a long lift queue, being told off (politely) by an instructor, got embarrasingly abusive and 'my Daddy owns yada yada....'; when this didn't work resorted to personal abuse in English which the instructor chose not to understand. I got bored eventually and told him he should learn some manners and get to the back like everyone else (which he did - amazing what a strategically broadened Scots accent can do), then apologised to everyone else. Embarrassing, really.
ski holidays
Lizzard, truly surprised. Not seen/heard anything like that - perhaps times have changed - for the worse. My memories of Val D are of an extensive skiing area, but with good skiers who would ski out powder rather quickly - though there were areas above Le Fornet which thankfully not trashed too quickly. And Precision for getting boots. Oh, and the icy Verte down to La Daille - which used to catch out beginners who believed the piste map. Had trees, though, and was not offensive to the eye - and so had the edge on Tignes for me.
snow report
achilles, I think most people would probably share your experience. L'espace Killy is an impressive, well managed ski area, and is an area for all types of riders, which unfortunately means it sometimes attracts all types of riders. This will result in meeting people we are going to get along with, it also means we will meet people we do not get along with. I am sure it will be the same in any big resort, so we can either live with it, give up skiing or buy the ski area and ban anyone we don't like. But then that would cost a lot, considerably more than the price of a Mt Hutt midweek seasons pass for NZD 179 which is about £70. Did you see the way I came back to the beginning of this thread?
snow report
achilles wrote:
And an incomparably better area in terms of skiing - if not in terms of mountain restaurants.

You really think that Val D isincomparably better than the whole of the Salzburger region? Wow. I'm glad that there are people like you out there......keeping the Austrian slopes quiet for me wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy