Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis for a heavy weight?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a bit of a big boy and I'm not sure what would be the best piste ski for me. I've looked at the Fall-line equipment guide that came in the post yesterday Razz but still not sure if the ski was tested by people who would blow away in the wind or some one of a more sturdy disposition. rolling eyes So what should I be looking at and for what reason.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hogh end Atomics, Fischer and Heads - tend to be built for burly Austrian ski racers (scuse possible racist generalisation wink )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Headplant, It depends what you like in terms of performance, but I was very happy with my Head GS Race Dept skis
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob wrote:
Hogh end Atomics, Fischer and Heads - tend to be built for burly Austrian ski racers (scuse possible racist generalisation wink )

Are you reading this Jerry & Easiski? I know you both ski Fischer skis so I'm assuming you must both be "burly Austrian ski racers" Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In my defence I did get talking to a Canadian national team race coach on a chair once who said that a couple of his lighter ladies had kit problems as their equipment was Atomic and they were struggling to get the race room make them skis that met their requirements
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FenlandSkier wrote:
fatbob wrote:

Are you reading this Jerry & Easiski? I know you both ski Fischer skis so I'm assuming you must both be "burly Austrian ski racers" Toofy Grin

Yes but don't forget the additional weight of their wallet/purse. Wink

An Austrian friend of mine is 140 kg and not a particulary good skier but he has to go for stiffer race skis with plenty of metal otherwise the skis are too unstable for him.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Headplant,

Don't know what weight or skill-level but you'd be looking at longer than normal for your height, whatever it is.

90+ kg is ridiculous on a 170-ish ski, for example, IMV, unless uber/Race stiff.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Headplant, Using the same logic as Fatbob (which i agree with) I find K2's are pretty stiff and burly for the typical American XXL sized skiers. Your typical Rossi or salomon ski is more flexible...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I. 95 kg and ski fischer RX8 (05/06) at 175 and AMC 79 at 182 length which are both very good for their respective uses. the AMC 79 probably wouldn't give me enough float for powder days. both very stable at speed more so the AMC 79
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dan100, Same skis and size for me in the RX8, love em but no such thing as powder with an extra 30kg on board.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, 125kg? Have you had a leg amputated? Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Charlatankfc, No, I now ski with a large hydrogen balloon on a long rope
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh I know why you binned your RX8s.....only rated up to 150kg wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Headplant, How heavy/tall are you?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, played for and got. Here fishy Wink
snow report
Thanks for the advice. Still not sure. rolling eyes I thinks it's the flex that's the main point, not sure if there is some sort of scale. I'm late beginner or early intermediate, not sure if that makes sense, I'm a returner after years of hiding in the wilderness. I'm 6ft 2in tall, when I hit the slopes in April I should be around 125kg, I'm a bit bigger now but we won't go into that. Embarassed Not sure if they helps, spyderjon, It's a bit difficult to pin point what I'm looking for as a ski for my level would probably be too soft so I might need to go to a higher level ski to take the amount of force I'm going to put on them, I don't like the idea of a long ski either and want something with a grippy edge that's easy to turn. Once things click again I hope to be up and away skiing most reds. Not sure if I'm asking the impossible? I'm thinking of taking a look at some skis this week at the show in London so any suggestions of what to run my hands over would be helpful. snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
Headplant, wait until April. Find a decent shop (where are you going btw?) in resort. Have a chat with them, armed with your research, and try a few skis out. If anything clicks for you then April can be a good time to drive a hard bargain wink

Most shops will at least deduct the hire cost if you decide to buy something.
snow conditions
Headplant, I'd suggest the Head GS skis though possibly not the Race Dept ones which are a little difficult to get hold of and very stiff, we're of similar weight and build and I love those skis, I personally think that Head produce some of the best ski edges on the market if you're looking for grippy edge and the GS ski will give you stability without being overly long
ski holidays
brian wrote:
Headplant, wait until April. Find a decent shop (where are you going btw?) in resort. Have a chat with them, armed with your research, and try a few skis out. If anything clicks for you then April can be a good time to drive a hard bargain wink

Most shops will at least deduct the hire cost if you decide to buy something.

Good advise. Hopefully there will also be more brands at the EoSB to try a load out.
snow conditions
If you're planning to ski europe then I don't have anything to offer (motorway pistes etc).

However if you're heading to the west coast canada/usa then *my* personal research this year has led me to 4 skis suitable for that type of terrain and geared towards a heavier skiier:

i) Atomic Blackeye
ii) Rossignol Bandit
iii) Nordica HotRod Afterburner
iv) Volkl AC40 (actually this is probably falling in to an "on-piste" category")
snow report
Headplant, Elan Magfire 10 or 12's matey. I have the 8's and they carry my ample back bottom round no worries Wink Find em much better than the RX8's (which I got shut of for the Elans)
snow report
Charlatanefc, A good choice. The RX8s are fairly advanced ski for those that can carve a turn wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, come back when you can beat me down a slalom course Wink
latest report
Charlatanefc 2 - 0 Frosty the Snowman, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

EDITED Crying or Very sad

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 25-10-07 13:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, no, I'll think you find it was 2-0, 06 & 07 Wink
snow report
My hubby is 6'5" and 110kgs - his problem with most skis is the flex, they're not stiff enough. He's now bought K2 Seth Vicious and he loves them. They are 189cm and look like 2 large planks of wood!
snow report
nuttyprofessor, the Seth Vicious is quite a soft ski. Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
parlor, seems to work for him! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeh i was convinced the Seths were a wee bit bendy! Each to their own i guess!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy