Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort for easy, motorway, stress free skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Cervinia has miles and miles of cruisy blues.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Louis, If you really don't want to risk anything why not just go back to Soldeu. The familiarity will also help confidence.

Of the other recommendations I would avoid mega linked resorts as there can often be a lot of fast skiers on supposedly easy pistes just getting from A to B. Engelberg as previously mentioned is really not a good bet (too narrow a, bumpy and at weekends busy). Puy Saint Vincent might be good. Arosa definitely. I would add Courmayeur.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your Mrs is on her third week of skiing I'd say that the choice of ski school was at least as important as the choice of resort.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rossfra8, agree, I know Banff/ Sunshine well but I feel its a bit far for only a week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buttermilk which is one of the resorts on the Aspen/Highlands/Snowmass circuit. It is the most easy, cruisy, flattering skiing and never very full. You can get a bus to Aspen which is very near for a night out and some shopping! Perfect resort for confidence building.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm torn here, do I criticise my own advice? I think the runs in Selva are pretty soft, the blacks are a red in any other resort, but I remember my wife's reactio to the run off the back of Ciampinoi, steepish short red with soft mogully things in the morning. She crawled down there while I went up and down having a grappa at the grappa hut until I had to sit down. But she really was a mega nervous 6 seasoner. She has lost most of that fear thank god.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for Cervinia. However the runs in the bowl immediately above Alp D'Huez come a close second. As an alternative one of the smaller Austrian resorts such as St Johann would do too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney, The problem with Selva is that one side of the mountain is not the best as one side of the mountain would not be accessable too easily. Plan de Gralba would be better suited as you miss the short red mogul field at the the top of the ciampinoi. Not a lot of motorway skiing though as a lot of the runs are fairly short and then you get a lift again. Corvara has more gentle rolling runs and longer than Selva.

Selva is one of my favourite destinations, beautiful scenery etc. but I would not class it a motorway skiing like Cervinia or La Plagne. However it is a better looking place.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Lecht
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
rjs wrote:
kitenski, None of the pistes are particularly wide, don't get bashed all that often and have many counter slopes.

The beginner slopes are either Klostermatt or at Gerschnialp, which are away from where everyone else skis.

I have been there several times with beginner friends who found it intimidating.

Ok, I've not been there with a beginner, thanks alot, will remember that for future reference!! Esp as some beginners were wanting to come with us in Feb to Engelberg Smile

If you've got begninners skiing at Gerschnialp then its a good excuse to ski the Laub & meet them at the Ritz for lunch (assuming Laub actually as snow cover which it didn't last year when I was there Sad )
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But everywhere will have cover this year (apart from Glen Shee) Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
valloire was great for our group of 8 beginners last year - quiet, easy runs, including some long ones so you don't feel like you are on extended nursery slopes. You can even get over to valmeinier and back without anything scary.

Schladming has lots of very wide easy crusing, especially fageralm and haus hills.

les arcs, la plagne(most of - not the bit over by aime 2000) also get my vote.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with Jonpim et al, La Plagne was a great place to learn when I went even though it was at times quite busy. There are so many blue runs to try that you'll always find a nice quiet spot. Belle Plagne is excellent as the rusn through the village stay pretty quiet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Louis, I have been to Banff 4 times for a week from Glasgow, i think its great and an hour and a half transfer, compared to soldeu which is double that, i rekon its a pretty good deal!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rossfra8, The transfer may be only an hour and a half to Banff as opposed to three hours+ to Soldeu, but the flights are 11 hours as opposed to 2.

And then once you are there it is always a bus ride to the slopes frmo Banff, while in Soldeu/El tarter/Canillo, almost all the accommodation is in walking distance of the nearest lift into a fully lift linked domain.
latest report
I rekon go to La Plange. Im going Les Arcs myself with the gf a few first timers and as you might know by now La Plange and Les Arcs are linked.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-01-08 21:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
alex_heney, is it 11 hours from england? its only 8 1/2 from here!!
snow conditions
Rossfra8, Actually 9 hours 10 mins from Heathrow. I was getting confused with the flight time to San Francisco.

But the point still holds true that total travel time is considerably more to Banff than to Soldeu - and I don't thnk an airline seat is that much more comfortable than a coach seat.
ski holidays
Yeh i guess its down to personal preference, personally i believe that the standard of skiing in Banff, despite the travel, is far superior to my experiences of Soldeu 2004(never again)!
snow report
Rossfra8 wrote:
Yeh i guess its down to personal preference, personally i believe that the standard of skiing in Banff, despite the travel, is far superior to my experiences of Soldeu 2004(never again)!

That, I certainly would not dispute.

Whether the difference is worth the extra cost and travel time is a matter of personal preference, but there is no doubt in my mind that most reasonably experienced skiers would prefer the skiing in the Banff area to that in the Soldeu area, all else being equal.
latest report
Yeh i'll second that! But having never been to either as a beginner, or general cruiser, im not sure
snow conditions
I don't rate Cervinia particularly highly - there are quite a few cruisy blues but it is extremely samey, weather prone, poor standard and organisation of lessons, lacking in atmos and apres, a stupendous amount of steps and icy hill climbing to get to the gondola. etc etc. I took my (in fairness then pregnant OH there a few years ago) and wasn't impressed.
snow conditions
Adamski, Views of the Matterhorn not particualary good but a nice enough resort. We found cruisy bluesy runs ok. But you can venture off the courdroy. Night life was pretty good IIRC. Most initial visitors go to Cervinia so that they can do Zermatt on the cheap. We were at the right hotel however at the top of the main street it was only 50M from the drag lift to get going at the start of the day.
latest report
I'd have thought some of the Pyrenean resorts would fit the bill. Bareges certainly has loads of easy runs, and is relatively empty. Ditto for Saint Lary, Font Romeu, Cauterets etc. All these places are easy enough for a DIY trip.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, sounds like the hotel we were at but the only issue with that drag lift is that the transfer run from the top of it over and down to the gondola is not NOT NOT a run I would EVER recommend taking a nervous skier down - it is awful. We had a really bad experience there when after lunch one day we went up it to find that the drags that go on up the left side of the valley were closed as the wind had just blasted in out of nowhere - that left only a choice of steep runs back to the village - there is simply NO easy way back down and Sue completely lost it trying to come down the transfer to gondola run - she completely froze and actually we had to get ski patrol to come and help her off. Her freak out was amplified greatly because she was pregnant but the weather was totally appalling. It was not an experience that I would ever want to repeat. It would still have been a nightmare if she hadn't been preggers.

There are many better options than Cervinia to fulfill what Louis wants.

Something else which puts me off Cervinia is the altitude - I probably had about 1 hours sleep in the whole week! and coming back over from Zermatt was no fun to me either! but then I just suffer really badly with altitude.
snow report
Villars- switzerland may well fit the bill
Lech Austria. Lots of Austrian resorts other than st anton
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy