Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

6'4" and 11 stone - tall and skinny - need advice on new ski gear

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads

I have worn out the secondhand ski gear that has got me through the last 6/7 years and need to replace my jacket and ski pants and also buy my first pair of boots. The gear I have had has done a reasonable job but was pretty badly fitting so if you can help me out with manufacturers or certain lines that cater for the tall and thin then I would be most greatful. I'm also not laden with a bag of gold so if there is a sale on somewhere that would be great too. Or for that matter if you are my size and are selling off some used gear, that's also a possibility.

Ski Jacket - sleeves 25 inches (65cm) from underarm, chest 38 inches (98cm), neck 15.5 inches (40 cm)
- if it helps, my workshirts are 15.5/37 (thin neck, long arms)
- the problem I currently have is that anything with the sleeves long enough is far to big in the body and gaping around the neck when done up as tight as it goes

Ski Pants - I've got a 30/31 inch waist (76-80 cm) and inside leg of 36 inches (90 cm)
- again the problem I have here is that anything long enough in the legs is far too big in the waist and generally far too big all over

Ski Boots - Well for the last 6/7 years I've hired all sorts and generally been in many different types of discomfort. So it's time to invest in quality.
- I'm generally size 10.5, my feet are fairly narrow and very shallow, a medium/high arch, very thin ankles and achilles, very thin and very long shins and legs.
- My general stance isn't that good but I am quite an agressive skier and I would like to lean into the shin more, so I have normally found that having taller boots with 4 buckles and extra strap have been more comfortable and supportive.
- I think I've just read that Lange might be a good option?

Any help on the above would be very well received, particularly if you are a similar shape and have found a good solution to any of these problems.

Mant thanks, Chapstarr
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have found in the past that eating lots of pies has helped me fill out my ski gear quite nicely.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chapstarr, For clothes, you could look at stuff designed to be worn as warm up suits by racers. I'm very happy with my Beyond-X jacket and pants which were not all that expensive.

For boots, the advice is to go and talk to a bootfitter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chapstarr, excellent advice from Kramer, If you are not a pie man then can I suggest you search ebay for Goretex javelin protectors wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chapstarr, 6'4" isn't a prob but coupled with 11st, it is. You might be looking at the wrong time of year for sales as the new stock is hitting the shops. Summer would have been a better bet and also look at the US markets..although expect to add duty to those prices and PP..!!!

Some manufacturers do long lenghts, such as Arcteryx. Have look at the US sites but the choice is limited now, I think, but then you are an unusual size so might be in with a shout

For their sizing chart check out the ofiicial website
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Consider board pants rather than ski ones - they tend to be worn concertina-style around the ankle, so might fit a man with long legs.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I'm 6'6" and a couple of stone heavier. To get arm length in jackets I use an outer shell by Mountain Equipment and a tight base layer with a fleece on colder days. Because the inner layers aren't bulky the shell can droop over my feeble frame and the arm length is OK. For gaping necklines I use a loop of fleece with a drawstring which I think 80's New Romantics used to call a snood...

I use Helly Hansen trousers and my inside leg is the same as yours and I don't have a problem.

Boots were a problem because of my "beaten with mallets" super low volume feet. Lockwoods got me into some Flexon Pros which have been great for fit as well as being really good all round boots. Only a good fitter will be able to offer sensible advice here. Lange were the loweset volume other boots I tried but I still had heel lift. I think someone else now has the Flexon-style rights?

If pies don't work you could also go for the Stella Artois food supplement to bulk out a little.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chapstarr, might be worth having a look at www.walktall.co.uk as they do ski kit as well as shoes for flipper footed folk.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chapstarr, Sounds like you need a day out to Bicester to see CEM re your super slender feet. Our son is 6' 3" and only 9 and a bit stone so we know your problem! He was sorted on the boot front by CEM.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi to all who replied
Just a quick note to say thanks for your replies. Sorry it's overdue - been eating pies non stop!
chapstarr
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chapstarr wrote:
Sorry it's overdue - been eating pies non stop

Been to see CEM then Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy