Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North face or Nike ACG trousers?

Poster: A snowHead
Which one would you rather have,has one brand got better quality etc, im talking about the £150 range,not the free thinker pants or anything.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TNF Hyvent is more than adequate for most peoples needs.

I'd probably plumb for the ACG gear though as most of it is really impressive.

Between the two? Get the ones that aren't black...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jim4571, I've had 2 pairs of ACG Pants and for the money the materials, quality, cut and above all design are unsurpassed IMHO. Took a pair of £200 eiders back in favour of another pair of the All Mountain Pants.

Note...only bought another pair after slicing the first pair open on the butt with my edges...don't ask how
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks, was hoping you were gona say the acg ones,rang chesire oaks the other day and enquired about the acg range to the nike outlet,they said they got some in stock for £60,so shes reserved me some till weekend Blush
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just need a jacket now,i like the softshell ones,does anyone recommend any for around £150,price abit flexible. Got my eye on a nice helly hanson one,anyone has any experience with helly hanson, quality etc Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arc't....oh, no wait a minute Toofy Grin

Helly Hansen have a very good rep in sailing gear so I'd imagine their skiing kit is very well made. Looks good value too (compared to the likes of Eider, Schoffel)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The new Columbia gear is looking pretty good for function vs cost too.

HH is always a good option.

Or team it up with an ACG jacket?

Check out TK Maxx...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jim4571, you could look at the "non-ski" softshells. I had last years Marmot one (no red zips) which works well.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sharkymark, Oi, wink

I have a very good Eider shell which was made in France, so none of your pacific rim tat.
I didn't use it last year but still can't bring myself to sell it. And when I ripped a hole in it by hitting a rock they replaced the panel perfectly for pennies, well euros, and returned it from France in 10 days..!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jim4571, just make sure the trousers that Cheshire Oaks are keeping over for you are Gore-tex and not Nike's Storm-Fit or the £60 might not be such a good deal.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wahwah,is there 2 different types,i was planning on bringing the page i printed from the eliis bingham site (all mountain range), then decide which i like,baggy of normal.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
this is the helly hanson i liked

http://www.snowandrock.com/pd5_100_100103_100103102_HEL_HEL0003EES.htm
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just got a pair of the ACG All Mountain pants, £140 for goretex - there great if like me you've got claustrophobic hot legs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jim4571, there are 2 different types of 'all mountain' and both are Gore-tex. What I would watch out for is if they try to sell you ski pants that use Nike's Storm-Fit fabric rather than Gore-tex. This might not apply to their ski pants, but I've seen plenty of Nike ski/outdoor jackets that only have Storm-Fit waterproofing, which will not perform as well as Gore-tex.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
iv just rang them up and spoke to the head of one of the departments,he got the pants out infront of him,and he said there all mountain range,gore tex. So there the right ones Smile

Just need to decide baggy or the gtx ones, what use reckon?
snow report
5stitches wrote:
I just got a pair of the ACG All Mountain pants, £140 for goretex - there great if like me you've got claustrophobic hot legs.

Did you get the free fit ones, or the gtx ones
snow report
jim4571 wrote:
iv just rang them up and spoke to the head of one of the departments,he got the pants out infront of him,and he said there all mountain range,gore tex. So there the right ones Smile

Just need to decide baggy or the gtx ones, what use reckon?

Nice one. I prefer baggy but then I would prefer to keep a youthful appearance on the slopes Wink.
latest report
Laughing Probs just have a look which looks and feels best, just rang the northface outlet store and theyve got the free thinker at £228, think there about £350 on the ellis bingham site. But theyve got no stock till the end of november Mad
ski holidays
jim4571,

That is a hell of a discount for the UK... must be seconds or discontinued, not that this is all bad...
ski holidays
the guy said its last seasoned stock that didnt get sold,so they just unload it all onto the outlet stores over UK, so there brand new,will it mean the style is slightly different or something like that, think i might just get that at that price
snow report
jim4571, it is last season's stock (I've just bought a Free Thinker jacket from their outlet store in Bicester) but there is virtually no difference between the 2007 and the 2006 versions as far as I can tell. The only thing I spotted was a slightly different shape/design of the Recco reflector. They do have a bit of Free Thinker stock in Bicester (jackets in grey, red and white, in a range of sizes, but no pants that I could see). I was also told more stock towards the end of Nov, but no idea what they will get.
ski holidays
when i rang they only had white in stock, the other colours wont be in stock till end of november to. Im after the asphalt grey one. Wheres bicester? snowHead
ski holidays
how much did you pay for your jacket rob rar
snow report
jim4571, I've got the free fit ones.

Just watching Blizzard of Ahhs to get ready for the season!
snow conditions
jim4571 wrote:
how much did you pay for your jacket rob rar

£228. They had a few grey jackets in stock yesterday. Bicester is near Oxford, just off the M40. There is also a Helly Hansen outlet store there. http://www.bicestervillage.com/
snow report
5stitches wrote:
jim4571, I've got the free fit ones.

Just watching Blizzard of Ahhs to get ready for the season!

how baggy are they, compared to the other style. Whats blizzard of ahhs Puzzled
ski holidays
oxford Shock quiet a way from manchester,il just have to wait till end of november Sad
ski holidays
blizzard of ahhs - look it up, retro ski movie, Glen Plake, Chamonix need I say more!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jim4571, the All Mountain pants are a fairly loose fit. The baggy ones have a slightly pin-striped finish and seem ridiculously baggy...
snow report
what do you think of them sharkymark
ski holidays
jim4571, I'm not a big fan of pin stripes...
snow conditions
i am a massive fan of TNF kit, always have been. think i will have to get the free thinker pants for this season.
latest report
im off to chesire oaks in about 30 mins,just going to get a load of prices together,im going for the acg all mountain pants, just need to decide baggy or loose
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
jim4571, the All Mountain pants are a fairly loose fit. The baggy ones have a slightly pin-striped finish and seem ridiculously baggy...

what do you mean stighlty pinned stripe finish,i got mine today,it didnt state whether they were the free fit(baggy ones) or the GTX ones, they only had one style in.i cant see any pin stripes on mine,what does it look like.but they are very baggy,not sure if there meant to be like that.

does your pants have a little number at the bottom leg.something like

acg_IM......... Just what style mine are

They also have like abit of grey rough patterning on the back of the very bottom legs?

Mine havent got them braces on,have yours. i hope i aint got the right ones. There defo all mountain though,because it came up on the till when the girl at checkout swiped it
ski holidays
Hey jim4571,

Did cheshire oaks have a lot of ACG ski stuff in?

Im after a mens all mountain jacket in the lazer blue but dont fancy paying ellis brigham £200 for it!!
Also how much for the GTX pants?? There £140 at ellis bringham!
snow report
no not really,they didnt have any jackets at all,except one big duck down one. They sell one style of all mountain pants,but im not sure whether there the GTX style or the baggy ones,i bought them on yesterday, there £60.both versions on the pants are £140 on the ellis bingham site,so no matter how you look at it,its a bargain.just depends on style!

Sharkymark,said there fairly loose anyway,so mine could be either one Puzzled Laughing
ski holidays
To anyone who wears the ACG pants

Do you wear anything underneath them, thermals or think pants,because they seem quiet thin,they dont have any insulation do they. Especially compared to the tresspass ones i have,which i use for chill factore. Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
jim4571, it is last season's stock (I've just bought a Free Thinker jacket from their outlet store in Bicester) but there is virtually no difference between the 2007 and the 2006 versions as far as I can tell.

the older version of the Free thinker 2006/2007 is Gore-Tex XCR whereas the new version 2007/2008 is gore-Tex Pro Shell.
The Lining of the fabric is also quite different.
Other than That they do look very similar.

I have bought a 2007/2008 version but prefer my older one as the hood has a far better fit in my opinion (possibly not helmet compatible so it fits the head better ?)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy