Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb or March - when's best?

Poster: A snowHead
Just booking time off for a group holiday but with everyone being skint, it looks like the earliest we'll get away will be the start of Feb. However, I know this falls on French school hols so which is the best month if we were to go somewhere like Meribel or Val Thorens?

Also, what’s the situation in Austria and the US/Canada – are these months rammed out or are they pretty good
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Specialman, the French holidays cover 4 weeks from Saturday 9 February. So best bet might be the week starting 8 March. Meribel or Val Thorens will be a lot less busy then, but because they get stuffed with Brits on packages, still a lot busier than a less well known resort.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Specialman, I know President's Week is best avoided for North America. I think it starts 16th Feb 2008. Whistler is pretty busy that week too. However, the other weeks in February in Whistler were OK from what I remember.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geetee, President's Week in Breck last year was not at all busy when compared to European resorts at holiday times. There were plenty of times when we were the only ones on a piste Very Happy. I wouldn't say it's to be avoided.

I orefer March in North America - a little warmer, less liklehood of whiteouts, glorious blue skiy cruisin' Very Happy (depends what you're after, of course)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Specialman, if you keep out of the school holidays in Feb, you should be ok in Austria. I've been there in the first week of Feba nd it's been fine.

Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx, I guess I've forgotten what the European crowds are like - sadly I'll have to find out in 2009. I do remember Whistler having lift queues that week but quieter in the weeks before and after. The really busy time in Whistler though is between Christmas and New Year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Specialman, yes, the very first week in February should be fine. But avoid the rest of the month like the plague...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman, February, March is when all the locals and seasonaires get their 'Kiddie Killers' out and start catching those kids in their teeth, you'll be straight back to the Chiropractor. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Specialman,

Why would you want to go to those places and pick a week to avoid crowds. Go to somewhere else that isn't on the TO map, and is just stuffed with locals from down the valley and maybe the biggest city 2 hrs away. Then the only crowds you are likley to see would be weekenders on a blue bird day.

I can't think of much worse that a big French resort with ants all over the place..!! the big exception to this being Chamonix because of where you can get to from the crowded lifts..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were in Panorama last year at the same time as President's week and the Alberta(?) half term. It was the busiest week in the resort's history and the locals were really moaning about how crowded the place was.

I think we saw one queue that lasted more than a minute. And it was easy to find places on the mountain where you wouldn't see another skier from top to bottom.

Crowded is a relative term.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, we want facilities, loads of cruising runs for the beginners in the group and good apres. TTV seems to fit the bill. Plus they are cheap and that's the main factor.

Anyway, my missus has to put in her holiday dates tonight to have any chance of getting them next year so we've plumped for the week 22/23 March - 29/30 March (depending on whether we go Sarurday or Sunday). The rest of the group are cool with that because it gives them enough chances to hunt for coppers down the back of the sofa to fund the hol!!!

Think I'll treat the wife to an early Jan getaway, but it looks like mid-March it is for the group holiday. We're gonna chance it and do a last minute deal with one of the big TOs like Neilson to try and get a proper good deal. It means we can pick and choose the resorts based on what's in our price range.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Specialman, easter week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Early Mar is the best part of the entire season in the Northern Hemisphere.

Good snow, modest crowds and sunny.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, agreed, I usually go around 9th March
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not-quite-hijacking the thread. If I wanted to go with my parents and my 6-year old to Alpe D'Huez, would you rather recommend the week of 2-9 February (before French hols) or the week of 15-22 Mar? (can't really do 8-15 March as I'm already skiing 22 Feb - 1 March).

Last year we went in the second week of March to La Plagne, quite high up, and the snow was melting fast. Would have been less good on the third week.
snow conditions
horizon, 4th week of March was the best weeklast season with stunning conditions.
ski holidays
4th week of March is Easter. Might be busy.
La Plagne is usually fine well into April
Before EOSBs we went to Belle Plagne every Easter from 1998.
Conditions were always good.
ski holidays
I should have explained that I'm skiing half a day with my son and half a day with friends, offpiste...hence fresh snow is much more interesting than packed piste!

Link to trip report from last year's trip here:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80789
ski holidays
I personally think the end Of Feb - beginning of March is the best time (in Bansko anyway). Once the Feb half terms are done a dusted, there are never any queues. No queues also means uncrowded pistes. The days are longer and warmer and the snow is usually at its best.
snow report
id go mid feb-to canada. although ive been to banff in december,january,february,april and not once experienced the levels of queues youd expect in europe!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy