Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Fall-Line out with extras

Poster: A snowHead
Could someone help me here? There's a picture of the new issue on our website but I'm struggling to haul it across the mac and onto this thread. Apologies for being such a technically inept *rse.

But those who know about it already will know that the issue is GOOOOOOOOOLD because I love gold - insert little finger into mouth, stroke cat, reset monocle - and has quite a lot of extra things with it.

The thing that will get most snowHead juiced up is the Ultimate Gear Guide book which also lives online. Plus there's the B'ham Show Guide which is basically a Resort Guide and Useful Thing.[/img]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This what you are after?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heroic! How did you do that?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saved the image to my desktop, and then uploaded it via the post pic function.

Easy wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now I think that was what I tried, so there are probably dozens of cover images washing around the site in unlikely places. Apologies in advance to anyone having a serious thread about bootfitting being interrupted in a 'Where's Wally' style.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fallliner wrote:
.......... Apologies in advance to anyone having a serious thread about bootfitting being interrupted ....

You must be thinking of another forum.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's true - I was just on the G-Wagen Owner's Association forum. They know a lot about bootfitting, that lot.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fallliner, sorry to hijack your thread (and I am looking forward to the new issue and gear guide Very Happy ) but I subscribed by direct debit (direct debit instruction was set up 21 Sept as far as I can see) and still have not received any of my free gifts - Skull candy icon headphones, snozone discount pass, 2 stickers and tshirt, which supposedly should be despatched within 28 days. Any way you can check - am desperate to use my snozone discount pass snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've subscribed too and not received anything yet either, not even a mag! Can you help? snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fallliner, just got my stickers, headphones, t-shirt and get out of jail card in the post. Very generous - I'd pay the subscription without the freebies - but thank you Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skibomb, smudger, hello there - if you drop janet@fall-line.co.uk an email she is currently sitting under a large pile of subs gifts and will let you know if one of them is yours. Or if not, why not. Er, better use your real names...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fallliner, Thanks. I will email her, so that her seating arrangements can hopefully become more comfortable wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Splendid. I could have sworn I saw the top of her head shortly before I left work.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ahh still not at uni shop, will have to go into town and pick it up at WHSmiths once I can drive again Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
what were fallline thinking when they printed this in the gear guide:

"In terms of shape and camber, K2 are by far the most experimental player out there. Straighter skis for steeps and powder (Coomba), reverse camber for switch powder operations (Pontoon and Hellbent - and no, we don't know anybody who can do it either...) and, more usefully, a 'nearly twin tip' on the tail of their Apache series skis facilitating the fabulous switch fooling around that makes all-mountain skiing such a ball. From now on we'll call this a 'semi'"

Puzzled
ski holidays
Arno,

It's a tail that's not quite a stiff enough? Is there anything in there on ski construction that they call a "woody"?
latest report
fatbob, i thought the "semi" thing was quite funny in a very purile way; i was just bemused by the assertion that K2 was leading the way on playing around with camber and sidecut (what about the Spatula?) and that reverse camber was for riding switch Shocked
latest report
Arno wrote:
fatbob, i thought the "semi" thing was quite funny in a very purile way; i was just bemused by the assertion that K2 was leading the way on playing around with camber and sidecut (what about the Spatula?) and that reverse camber was for riding switch Shocked

I just read K2's pioneering status as an invisible "among mainstream ski manufacturers" - and after all its probably fair to say that the Pontoon & Hellbent are direct descendants of the Spat given McConkey's involvement with both companies. It would confuse the hell out of the general British skiing public if fall line started banging on about DPS, Praxis etc after all most people are still getting to grips with the idea that a ski >75mm in the waist might be a good thing.

Don't know about the reverse switch powder riding but it seems to work for Andy Mahre in the trailers I've seen, possibly some "science" in it that it maybe bends the tail further out of the snow to facilitate switch riding in a less than perfectly balanced position but this is pure speculative bollux on my part and not something I'll ever be trying except by accident.
snow report
fatbob, i always saw reverse camber as being mostly for float and making turning easy - ie the ski is decambered already so it doesn't rely on the skier pressuring it
snow report
Arno, That was my perception too & is obviously of wider application. It isn't just skis - snowboards are now getting the rocker treatment
latest report
i'm sure i heard that rocker had been done on snowboards but had died out and is now making a revival...

what time are you arriving at the PSB? we can continue this over a beer while everyone else keeps a safe distance and whispers about what a pair of nerds we are Laughing
snow report
Arno wrote:
i'm sure i heard that rocker had been done on snowboards but had died out and is now making a revival...

what time are you arriving at the PSB? we can continue this over a beer while everyone else keeps a safe distance and whispers about what a pair of nerds we are Laughing

I'm sure we'll be there by some beer o'clock of the evening, my navigation and RogerC's mad drivin skillz permitting- you hanging around on the Saturday to demonstrate the art of the powerslidslip on the most inappropriate skis you can find on boilerplate glacial ice or do you have to get off to the zoo?
snow conditions
Would be nice to get any mag, rolling eyes but I'm sure we can blame it on the postal strike, and my fault for living outside the UK. Oh yes, and for having a Scotish bank account instead of an English one.
snow report
fatbob, I'm around on Saturday but will be heading over to Chamonix in the evening. power sideslip will be in evidence all week Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I got some ace headphones and a lovely T shirt in the post today. Both have been snaffled unfortunately Evil or Very Mad (kids) Many thanks falliner snowHead
snow report
Timmaah wrote:
Ahh still not at uni shop, will have to go into town and pick it up at WHSmiths once I can drive again Sad

Couldn't be bothred to wait anymore so I took the splint off and drove into town and got it Very Happy Driving was a bit interesting at the beginning though...
snow report
I am still trying to find someone who sells it locally ...anyone any ideas the nearest I know of is Southport which is an hour away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad
snow report
Arno, sorry - been away from the pooter for a while. Yes, we found a pic (line drawing) of a reverse camber ski made by a viking but it never got into general production and seems to have been off sale for the last 1100 years. We decided that K2 were the most experimental of the mainstream makers - Volant et al are barely available but you can go into an Ellis Brigham or Snow and Rock and get (or look at) some Coombas, Hellbents, Pontoons or other distinctly niche skis. Mind you, the only reason K2 can have fun like this is because they're selling a lot of mainstream models.
redrunmarcus, if you ask the newsagent they'll stock it, though your sub should be through - might be issue 71 that it kicks in, though?
Timmaah, delighted you risked life and barely repaired limb for the cause.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fallliner, fair enough - I'll stop being pedantic now because I reckon Fallline is probably the only UK ski mag to show any interest in these things and therefore gets a thumbs up from me. and i am very grateful because your article on Alpe d'Huez didn't give away any of the secret off-piste which I want to keep to myself wink
ski holidays
fallliner, ok will try to get newsagent to get hold of this months copy for me
snow report
Perhaps I should set up an outlet in La Plagne to keep the flag flying
snow report
Arno, Yes, but you have to let me know where it is... I'm heading for Serre Chevalier for New Year and it's just up the road AND I personally haven't ridden there before
latest report
fallliner, get an IGN map of the area and look at the area around Pic Blanc. The Sarenne is one way down but there are plenty of others if you are up for a little bit of walking. For example:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25907
snow conditions
Arno, Thanks v much for this. Off to browse right now...
ski holidays
Hey hey, it arrived today Monday, the issue number 69 (is that the first one?) complete with "T" shirt and head phones, thank you, thank you.
latest report
Woohoo!
My january issue just arrived along with a little parcel containing a t-shirt, some headphones and a lovely letter from Hannah promising a discount pass for Snozone in January. Citin'.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all of fallliner's crew. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Still waiting for mine Mad

I wonder why some people have theirs already and others not?
snow conditions
I wonder why I get a snozone discount card that runs out the end of December 2007!? Twisted Evil snowHead Puzzled
latest report
Well, Fall Line is alright if you're unable/incapable of sustaining articles of any great length, penetration or wit. It appears to be aimed at the non-reading visually stimulated generation and frankly makes the pap that is the DMS&S magazine seem like Shakespeare.

Now Skiing UK (RIP) was a decent magazine.........
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy