Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving To Midi Pyrenees (Advice Required)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, I am new so please be gentle with me. I am planing a trip down to the Midi Pyrenees, I haven't done this area before and there appear to be loads of resorts, I guess I need advice on three fronts really. I will hopefully be getting to the region 30th December and leaving 6th January, I would love to go to three or four resorts to get a flavour of what the area has to offer, I will of course go to Grandvalaria, but what I'm not sure about is the other French and Spanish resorts, can anyone give me advice on which ones are good for novice and expert level skier and boader to go to? We would really like to go to resorts that offer a decent amount of terrain and are favoured by the French/Spanish.

Also I would appreciate some advice on accomodation in Pas De La Casa.

And finally I would appreciate advice on the route down there, I think I will probably be staying overnight, but would like to stay within two hours of Grandvalaria so that I can get up early and get on the mountain the next day. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Big Feet, welcome to snowHead s. I've never been, sorry, but I'm sure someone will be along soon.......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you can get there then I'd advise havnog a look at Baqueira Beret in the SPanish Pyrenees, and to complete the triumvirate of countires head further west to try Bareges and La Mongie in France - not skiied at the latter but I have done Grand valira (separately in the old days) and BB.

there's plenty of skiing in Andorra alone though, no need to drive miles and miles
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Font Romeu which is quite a nice resort, worth a couple days. There are a few others also on that side of the Pyrenees (Mediterranean side).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, I've always liked the idea of Baqueira Beret (apres ski tapas and Rioja has to be a winner!), any tips on where is good to stay?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ctskifam, I skied Baqueira for a couple of days last March, really enjoyed it & am looking forward to a return trip sometime ( pre-xmas if there's enough snow ) As we were after modestly priced accomodation we stayed in Vielha which is about 20 mins easy drive down the mountain from Baqueira & being the local ' capital' city it has a good choice of reasonably priced hotels, shops for those that are into such things, & most importantly, plenty of good taps bars !!.
Another advantage of Baqueira ( & vielha) is that it is very easily accessed from france as it is effectively up a valley that opens to the french side of the pyrenees, hence is an easy drive from, say, Tarbes. I've also had a couple of really enjoyable days at Bareges/La Mongie, but would personally go back to Baqueira in preference because it's a larger & more varied ski area &, as importantly, I really enjoy cava & tapas !
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big Feet, welcome to SnowHeads.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello people,

I think for 1 week you don't need to travel between Baqueira and Andorra. There is a big travel!!! More than 2-3hours, and 3 big mountain passes that always are the firsts to close in snowy days.

Another thing is that Baqueira is NOT the place to spend Christmas and New-year because the jet-set go there....the Kings, some expresidents of spanish and catalan governments, and "nice" people".... So full of stupid people, a lot of queues at lifts and roads......

And if you're based at Pas de la Casa, can be better do 2-3 days in grandvalira, if snow its good and you like off piste you can go 1 day to ordino-arcalís. Then at less than 25min by car you have AX 3 DOMAINES, a nice area, you can do here 1 day, and if you like you can repeat.

Then at 10minutes from pas de la casa there is PORTE PUYMORENS, a nice, quiet and cheap place to spend 1 day (if the snow is good, it have steep couloirs with often good snow, pure north face)... The problem of this area is that don't exist intermediate level, It have green and blue slopes, only 1 or 2 real reds, and then pass to steep blacks don't pisted...

And at 40minutes from pas de la casa there is ALP 2500 next to puigcerdà in catalunya (la molina+la masella).

A personal choice if you want to try plus resorts, you have a good ski level, and don't look for best slope preparation or best lift system, in the french-catalan side can try PUIGMAL2600, the highest resort in the pyreenes (2750m; the mountain high up to 2910m), with a nice freeride bowl from 2750 to 2250, and next to this bowl a nice descent starting with a gentle slope at 2600 into a forest from 2300 to 1950m.

My recomendation is: the firsts days (peak days) try Andorra, they have the best lift system, and then the last 3 days try the others (or the 1st january, if you get up early you can try wherever)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nickH, thanks for the tips, will have a look into the different options.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think AlTom, did a comprehensive guide to the resorts so no need to go back over that! Very Happy

Driving route ( from Calais I assume): my parents, living in Toulouse, have done it a few times now to come and see me in Essex, and think this is the best way:

A16 south to Abbeville
A28 to Rouen
A13 then turn off onto N154 past Chartres and onto A10
(this way you by-pass Paris, always a stressful experience..and you do not lose much time)
A10 to Orleans
A71 to Vierzon
A20 all the way to Montauban
A62 to Toulouse
then depending where you're aiming its A64 or A61/A66 (to andorra).

My parents ain't speed freaks and they've done Southend-on-Sea -> Toulouse in 12 hours , ferry to Boulogne included.
This is the motorway/fast route, easy driving but mortorway tolls.

Hope this helps.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ctskifam, we went out with Ski Miquel, very good tour op and the only british tou op in town - was quite odd when one day we heard other british people on the slopes - so apart from saying I thought that thei Chalet Hotel Salana was quite good, I'm afraid I can't give any more advice
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big Feet, welcome to snowHead snowHead I can't help you personally but you could try sending a pm to the user called In Garbure We Trust he's based in the Pyranees so should be an excellent source of advice.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy