Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

geneva airport.....french side-----swiss side

Poster: A snowHead
can someone tell me what the difference is if any between french and swiss side related to geneva airport noticed it when trying to book a car..is there two different addresses as far as car rental and pick up point is concerned? hope this message makes sense Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
go to the swiss side. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andybabes, perfect sense. Your plane will land in the Swiss sector, unless you are on a domestic flight from Fance, so it is far easier to rent from the Swiss side.The desks are just outside baggage collection. If you rent from the French side in winter, although it may be slightly cheaper, the car may not have winter tyres, so will end up costing you more. The car will also not have the motorway vignette, so you will either have to buy one, or avoid the Swiss motorway. IMHO, not worth the hassle for the small saving, so rent from the swiss side.
If you select Switzerland as your destination, you should rent from the correct side. Try this link for a decent price.

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andybabes, I agree with everything that Helen said - Swiss side is a much better option even if it costs a few quid more than the French side.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, I remember being filled with worry myself on our first DIY trip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
rob@rar, I remember being filled with worry myself on our first DIY trip.

Smile Me too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andybabes, definitely Swiss side as the others say, French side just not worth the hassle.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swiss, loads cheaper.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Swiss, loads cheaper.

Not by any means always true, but it IS true that the Swiss side is far easier. Getting into the French side can be quite difficult, though not a problem with the right directions, which can be found elsewhere on Snowheads. But if you're a bit tight for time getting back to the airport, and not familiar with the weird geography which requires some miles of driving to get to the other side of a fence, finding your way to the French side can be a bit of a nightmare.

It is also not always true (despite being frequently asserted on Snowheads!) that you inevitably get chains thrown in on the Swiss side. Always check.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I agree not always, but there is less price difference than there used to be a few years ago. Certainly this next week for PSb was cheaper on the Swiss side. If you use the link I gave above, we have always had snowchains in the car.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, Do be careful...we always book that way too and have been without chains, it depends who their partner car hire firm is at the time of booking!

We've recently booked a car...admittedly for October....and it was cheaper to book for the Swiss side than the French, most unusual!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
pam w wrote:
[ But if you're a bit tight for time getting back to the airport, and not familiar with the weird geography which requires some miles of driving to get to the other side of a fence, finding your way to the French side can be a bit of a nightmare.

As long as you know in advance not to follow signs for the airport it's not hard at all.

Follow signs for Ferney, cross the border, turn left immediately and you're there. If you're coming from Lausanne it's no further, from France it's probably an extra mile or 2 at most.

Which side is cheaper varies a lot, so it's always worth checking both, imo.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you choose the french side do you avoid the border crossing? The only time we have flown into Geneva and hired on the swiss side it took us nearly 2hrs. queuing on the motorway to get over border.
latest report
 brian
brian
kevinrhead, you emerge from the airport on the French side of the Ferney-Voltaire border post. Typically, to get to the alps, you go straight into Switzerland and join the A1 motorway as you would exiting the airport normally in Switzerland. However, you can stay in France and drive round, I guess you'd be adding maybe half an hour of driving or so. I've never done it.

Try this map to get an idea.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevinrhead, Shocked I have passed though many times and the only time we have had a delay was after last years PSB when we were stopped and questioned. We had admin and Lord Whitenoise in the back so you can't blame the officials Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, me too, with max delay of about 30 seconds !

kevinrhead, was it the Bardonnex customs on the motorway ?
ski holidays
brian, Not sure just joined the motorway from airport an shortly afterwards joined queue eventually funneled through
a sort of contraflow system which appeared to be border. Were later told they were probably having a purge on checking motorway vignette
ski holidays
We did this DIY trip for the first time last year and hired a car from Geneva for Chamonix.....absolutely no problems getting out and to the resort as we took Tom Tom with us which directed us straight to the hotel in Chamonix. So really i couldn't tell you what side we went in and out of as it was all taken care of.

We have booked this years trip and are staying in Switzerland going to Verbier and again the first thing packed will be Tom!!!!!

An absolute must for no hassle arrival!!! Laughing
latest report
holyjasper, does your satnav show speedtraps? I seem to recall a thread which said that would be illegal in Switzerland.
snow conditions
Not sure if it shows speedtraps or not.....i have heard mention a few times now of speed traps in Switzerland....should i be worried?? Isn't it just a case of see the camera then the lines and slam on quick sharp like I tend to do in the UK or are our Swiss counter parts more cunning???
ski holidays
SWISS side no doubts unless you fancy a few trips round Geneva centre and directions from a nice Swiss policeman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Embarassed
snow report
holyjasper, Tom-Tom to Verbier from Geneva? No disrespect but easier than circum-navigating the M25 in terms of directions ! Twisted Evil so stick to speed limits. And it's the Swiss police you should watch out for ...none of this 'look-at-me' static nonsense for them in terms of visible speed traps !

Original Question - Hire from Swiss side..we always find it cheaper and easier ....and we usually arrive from France.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 22-10-07 16:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 brian
brian
holyjasper, yes, they are considerably more cunning, sleek speed cameras hidden in central res foliage, disguised as bollards, etc. Oh and the autoroute limit is 10kph lower than France, ie. 120.
snow report
 brian
brian
Agenterre wrote:
Tom-Tom to Verbier from Geneva? ..... and the amount of time you spend in Suisse will be so small it

Eh ? What route do you take to Verbier then ? via Shammynicks Puzzled
snow conditions
brian, Apologies ... a mix-and-match as you well know Embarassed

BTW - via Chamonix not that bad a route ( in Summer!) , I did it after visiting the zoo and A1 fun to Martigny !! ( But not the answer to the question Embarassed Razz )
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
andybabes, perfect sense. Your plane will land in the Swiss sector, unless you are on a domestic flight from Fance, so it is far easier to rent from the Swiss side.The desks are just outside baggage collection. If you rent from the French side in winter, although it may be slightly cheaper, the car may not have winter tyres, so will end up costing you more. The car will also not have the motorway vignette, so you will either have to buy one, or avoid the Swiss motorway. IMHO, not worth the hassle for the small saving, so rent from the swiss side.
If you select Switzerland as your destination, you should rent from the correct side. Try this link for a decent price.

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount

Hi thanks for that have looked at a quote from holiday autos for a mondeo estate £184.50 but it doesnt say anything about winter tyres or chains?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andybabes wrote:
Hi thanks for that have looked at a quote from holiday autos for a mondeo estate £184.50 but it doesnt say anything about winter tyres or chains?

It never does, although you might get the option to pay extra for 'winter equipment'. By law (AIUI) Swiss rental cars are winterized between certain dates. I have 8 to 10 rentals from GVA each year and have never paid the extra charge through HolidayAutos for winter equipment. On every occasion the car came equipped with winter tyres, and on every occasion except one there was a set of chains in the boot (although on at least one occasion they were the wrong size rolling eyes ).
snow conditions
kevinrhead, if it was the first few days of Feb then yes, quite probably checking the vignettes. Otherwise Bardonnex can get v busy on a Fri eve rush hour as all teh weekly commuters go home to France as well as the daily ones - better then to cut across the city, still slow but quicker than sitting in a 2-hour queue
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch wrote:
kevinrhead, if it was the first few days of Feb then yes, quite probably checking the vignettes. Otherwise Bardonnex can get v busy on a Fri eve rush hour as all teh weekly commuters go home to France as well as the daily ones - better then to cut across the city, still slow but quicker than sitting in a 2-hour queue

what the hell are 'vignettes'
snow report
 brian
brian
andybabes, a vignette is a sticker. In this case, it's the Swiss motorway tax sticker. All cars rented in Switzerland have them so nothing to worry about (unless you rent on the French side, in which case buy one at a petrol station for 40 CHF, about £17).
ski holidays
Vignettes are Swiss (and Austrian) motorway road tax - and cars hired on the Swiss side should have them automatically whilst the French side will not (cost 40 SFr). But watch out - not infallible - if they're short of vehicles, they'll line up the Brit for a non-vignetted car and hope to get away with it - you'll have to pay on the motorway but keep the receipt and claim it back from the hire company.

And when you're checking prices, make sure you add that 40 SFr in to the equation - you can't live without it - as anyone who has tried to negotiate Geneva on a Friday night weekend arrival will testify. (We've never hit a real delay at customs, sometimes a minor slow-down ; we have taken an hour to get over the bridge - more than once, never again)
latest report
Hi andybabes, we've always hired cars from the Fench side and never had any problems at all. Saying that there does seem to be a divide with other people, some say much better from Swiss side and others differ but it really is not difficult at all from French side. I have full directions that we give out to guests and never had anyone go missing yet. PM me if you would like a copy of these.

Cheers,
Dan
snow report
MrDan, I am sure it isn't difficult, but why complicate matters at all when it isn't necessary.....
ski holidays
Quote:
Were later told they were probably having a purge on checking motorway vignette

presumably this was a purge on vehicles leaving Switzerland, so any without vignettes would automatically be fined, plenty of scope for delays there. Personally, have never had more than 30 minutes delay at Bardonnex, and that was exceptional. But the question of whether to go through Geneva centre, or along the motorway and back into France at Bardonnex, is quite separate from the question of whether you hire on the Swiss or French side of the airport. You can easily do either, from either side of the airport.

I now go to Geneva airport so often (most recently this afternoon!) that I can very easily get in and out of the French side. But I also remember big problems before I knew the way - including one stress inducing occasion, with three hire car loads of people already a bit late for a flight, when we stopped somewhere in Geneva to fill the cars with petrol, asked a couple of locals the best way to the French side of the airport. They then proceeded to argue about it, quite amicably, but at length. One was Italian, or at any rate had a very Italian way of speaking French, which makes it far easier for me to understand, so I went his way. For a newcomer to all this the Swiss side is definitely a lot more straightforward and the French side only worth considering if there was a really big saving on the car hire.

The route through France, to get to the Chamonix motorway without crossing Switzerland at all, is quite complicated. I had to do it once because of having visitors with no papers to get into Switzerland. It needs a good map, and a sensible navigator, especially in the dark. I can't think why anyone with immigration rights to Switzerland would go that way. It's a pain at the moment because of the foul up on the St Julien junction work, too. To avoid paying the 40 francs for a vignette you can, however, easily drive across Geneva. It's clearly signposted and not often a traffic problem. But 40 francs is not a lot of to make things a bit easier, especially for a first time DIY trip.
snow report
pam w, I think you have hit the nail on the head, if you are familiar with the airport and the journey, it is easy but perhaps not so on a dark morning when you are already pushing it to catch your return flight. 40 swiss francs is after all a drop in the ocean compared to someones bar bill on a skiing trip.
snow report
pam w, I'd go along with your take completely. I go in and out of GVA a lot too and unless there's a big saving on the car hire (which there can be occasionally - its worth checking) it's simply not worth the bother of going to the French side.
snow conditions
brian wrote:
andybabes, a vignette is a sticker. In this case, it's the Swiss motorway tax sticker. All cars rented in Switzerland have them so nothing to worry about (unless you rent on the French side, in which case buy one at a petrol station for 40 CHF, about £17).

do i need a french vignette to drive through france? or any other for of paperwork....
sorry for sounding so thick Puzzled Embarassed
snow conditions
andybabes, no, you can just pay cash at the French toll booths.
ski holidays
andybabes, it can be easier to hand over a credit card. If you're not too sure of the system, it's easier to drive up to one of the manned booths (usually a green arrow, or a little pic of a man). It's embarassing fumbling for the right change, or trying to work out which end of the credit card to stick in the machine, with some automatic French voice telling you to put it in the other way round, with a growing queue behind you!

Where are you driving to?
ski holidays
bourg st maurice
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy