Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich Airport to Flachau

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are booked to go to Flachau next February at half-term. Flights to Salzburg seem horrendously expensive but cheapish ones are available to Munich. What is the driving like in that area in February? Does traffic flow reasonably well or will we sit for hours in a jam? Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
autobahn all the way, should be okay, probably 2 hour drive. get a sunny day and the scenery is great. not driven it that often but never hit much traffic.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have only done the trip once and it was at Feb holiday. There was very heavy traffic onthe autobahn and it wasn't particularly quick but it was not horrendous either, about 3 hrs when we did it I would guess. Very easy driving / route finding though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As per waynos, it's motorway all the way so a very easy drive (probably a slightly over 2 hours though), and although it can get busy, it improves after the turnoff at Rosenheim for Kufstein/Kitz/Skiwelt etc, and then again at Traunstein for the road to Saalfelden/Zell/Saalbach etc. The worst bit is the first third. Getting closer to Salzburg and beyond it is normally fine.

And although Saturdays in peak season can get busy, it's not often ground-to-a-halt busy, just slow, especially in bad weather, and it really does depend on the time of day.

German car hire tends in my experience to be more expensive than Austrian though, and there may be extra charges for winter tyres which are standard on hire cars in Austria (don't know that they're not in Germany, just saying it's good to check), and you will have to buy the motorway vignette when you reach Austria, so make sure you are comparing the whole cost of flying to Munich rather than just the fare IYSWIM.

D

Edited for typo.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 27-03-08 17:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
casnbs, I'd say avoid friday afternoon/evening. Normally it's a breeze.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Deliaskis wrote:
As per waynos, it's motorway all the way so a very easy drive (probably a slightly over 2 hours though), and although it can get busy, it improves after the turnoff at Rosenheim for Kufstein/Kitz/Skiwelt etc, and then again at Traunstein for the road to Saalfelden/Zell/Saalbach etc. The worst bit is the first third. Getting closer to Salzburg and beyond it is normally fine.

And although Saturdays in peak season can get busy, it's not often ground-to-a-halt busy, just slow, especially in bad weather, and it really does depend on the time of day.

German car hire tends in my experience to be more expensive than Austrian though, and there may be extra charges for winter tyres which are standard on hire cars in Austria (don't know that they're not in Germany, just saying it's good to check), and you will have to buy the motorway vignette when you reach Austria, so make sure you are comparing the whole cost of flying to Munich rather than just the fare IYSWIM.

D

Edited for typo.

When I hired at Munich Airport with Avis in Xmas 2006 summer tyres were standard so you had to pay extra for winter tyres and/or for snow chains.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy