Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2007-2008

Poster: A snowHead
shoogly,

Interesting stuff..... ? well, chris is local so he will know but you can spot all sorts of stuff and never be too far away..just little cuts through here and there.

But take the Balme lift and explore the right hand side...or go over the top onto Cucumelle and look right.. that will take you down into the Village de Fresus which is a nice resto for lunch..head back upto Tete de la Balme and ski off to the left and then at the big fork drop left again into a gully which you will/should have spotted coming down Cucumelle....back up again and do the Cucumelle ridge off the side and over the top..
all sorts...!!!

Next day do the Monetier sector, go to the top and come straight back down under the Yret lift as much as you can...you will see the tracks and route over the Yret chair..pick any line you like and as steep as you dare.. all lift-linked stuff and then go up again to the Pic de l'ret and look for the netting on the right as you go up..you'll want to hit this on the way back...duck under that and take a nice ride down to the bottom of the valley.
You can spend 4 days just getting to grips with those laps....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dan100 wrote:
shockingmoment wrote:
Great news. Davina (www.snow-connections.com) has come up with the goods. She's set up a new ski school so has been a bit busy....

Anyway, from what I gather, the lessons will be based in Villeneuve.

do you where the new ski school going to meet?

Dan - good point. Don't know. Apart from Villeneuve. I posted the link to the website - S/C 1400 somewhere!
I'm hoping they'll collect us from Chantemerle.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shockingmoment, not usual to collect from another village.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually, dan100, thats a very good question.

Does anyone know where ski schools generally meet on the mountain above Villeneuve?

And, how easy / quickly can we get there from Chantemerle (at about 09.00) if we ski over?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shockingmoment,
Ski schools usually meet at the bottom of the mountain.

Buissonierre usually start of going up the Aravet Gondola.
ESF go up either Casse de Boeuf or Frejus gondola
The top of the Aravet gonddola is readily accessible from Chantemerle.
Casse de Boeuf a little longer and Frejus would take longer still.
You would usually need to contact the ski schools about meeting anywher other than the bottom.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar wrote:
You would usually need to contact the ski schools about meeting anywhere other than the bottom.

Especially as they will have other commitments during the day apart from your lessons. So unless you are booking them for the whole day, they will be reluctant to meet anywhere other than their normal meeting place.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thought i'd just let you all know of a new service we are offering in serre che this year.

FOr the first year we are offering GROOMING SCHOOL!

For 50e on top of your day pass (55 with no day pass) you can have 15 minutes learning how to groom a piste! This takes place at l'aravet at around 5pm (i think)
If your interested just go to the ticket office in any part of the resort to enquire!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowangel., what happens to those of us who book our passes online? The website says photos are necessary, but when you use the booking form, they don't ask you to upload a photo. As the lift pass office managed to lose our season pass applications, it isn't worth us paying the full season pass price.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are hoping to go to serre che in march - but can't decide which village. I like the sound of the eurekaski instructor for our kids - but if we stay in monetier will our 5yr old (plough parallel) be ok with runs to the village? Helen Beaumont, lovely apartment Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, do you not pay tax d'habitation? if you do you should be able to get season pass for less. Take your tax form to the Mairie they will give you a form which you bring to the ticket office.
Alternately you may be better off getting a relax pass, which offers you 10- non consecutive days, which you can use throughout the season.
I'm not sure about the internet, but i go back to work tomorrow so i'll ask for you
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shockingmoment, i think they're meeting at l'aravet, but might be able to meet up the mountain if you ask.

My daughter is doing a weeks skiing form 30th dec too!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowangel., we only got our first bill this year, as apartment complex was not said to be complete until July. I just paid it last week.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, worth trying surely! its 425 with that. Good luck will tell you about the photo's on line when i find out!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowangel., oh, that will be great, if I can manage to get a form from Mairie on Monday morning.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
However, as the Mairie won't be open then.............. rolling eyes
snow conditions
about the montgenevre lift pass.

with the monts de la lune, which is just montgenevre and claviere you get a free days skiing in serre che or the milky way.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, should be open from 9 even on christmas eve
latest report
snowangel., not usually open on Monday mornings.
Christopher, http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Serre_Chevalier_snow.html
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, cheers

yeah, as ive gathered from snowforecast and snowfix its snowing on/off saturday, sunday and monday. It is suppose to then brighten up for the rest of the week.

Brilliant snow conditions i imagine!!!
snow report
Helen Beaumont, that will be monetier only! Our mairie is open!
snow conditions
rpft wrote:
We are hoping to go to serre che in march - but can't decide which village. I like the sound of the eurekaski instructor for our kids - but if we stay in monetier will our 5yr old (plough parallel) be ok with runs to the village? Helen Beaumont, lovely apartment Very Happy

Yes, they'll be fine in Monetier, there is a fairly easy route back down, although if you stay at the top end of the mountain, you can always take the Bachas chair back to the village.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, thanks - monetier looks perfect for all of us. How long does it take you to drive?
latest report
rpft,

From Calais, you can be around Grenoble in around 9 hrs and that is a good pace and no overlong stops.
From Grenoble up and over the col should take 90 mins plus depending on the weather. You should have chains for the Col ..but you'll have them for the mountains anyway.
snow conditions
JT, thanks Very Happy The chain bit sounds a pain Sad
ski holidays
rpft,

The uplift from Grenoble is steady until you get to the dam and then you'll not be too far from the Col which can get its own weather systems IME. One side could be very low clouds and the other could be clear. It would be foolish not to plan for chains as a) the Police will probably not let you drive too far out of Grenoble if snowing, without them..and b) you'll not get very far without getting stuck anyway.... Both roads up to L2A and ADH are very twisty and therefore steep and the Col is very exposed. not taking chains isn't an option, IMV but agree they can be a pain to use if you haven't put them on before....as you'll get wet and dirty and cold...
ski holidays
rpft, we have crossed the Col during the winter twice each year for the last 4 years, and we have had loads of guests make the journey too. Only one group failed to make it, and had to stay in a hotel on the way (Villar d;Arenes I think), and another had a long detour. Keep an eye on the weather forecast, and you can also telephone for an update on conditions
Eurekaski's fact sheet gives you more information. As for us, we have had to go via Frejus tunnel on one occasion because the Col was closed, but that's a good thing, as it means lots of freshies in resort. It doesn't add much to the journey time either, but it is helpful to know before you leave the airport. We have also crossed it in heavy snow, but as we have a 4x4 weren't required to put chains on.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, phew - thats good - we have a 4x4 too. I expect mr.rpft knows all about this, but I'm not allowed to talk about skiing until 6 weeks prior to the holiday Sad
Your apartment is lovely - looks like you have to be quick off the mark to book Very Happy

JT, sounds horrible, glad we won't have to - though the 4x4 is to be swapped in oct for an audi - so will remember this advice Very Happy
snow report
rpft, you'll stilll need to carry chains though. Yes, we've been booked up for ages now, only a week in January and April left now.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
didnt manage to get over to serre che. but i was having a conversation with my mother, 2009 will be monetier for us.
snow report
Christopher, not sure of your age but you might want to consider a more lively part of the resort, monetier is just a little limeted as to decent night life.
snow conditions
snowangel., great - perfect for us then Very Happy btw - my girls love looking at the pics of your kids playing in the snow - will you post a pic of your 7yr old snowboarding? rpft8 really wants to have a go when we are in serre che in march - she ski's pretty well - but has always wanted to snowboard, as does my 5 yr old - but I suspect the latter is too young to learn.
ski holidays
snowangel., it'd probably be my last family holiday. so i wont be going mad, all i need is a decent bar.

I havent been there for 2 years and that was in the summer, but i remeber there is a quite a steep walk from lifts to accomodation. is this strictly true?

Im thinking of going for a ski weekend and doing the whole apres ski with my friends as well next year. my friends will want to go to Austria probably, so i wont be too bothered about night life in monetier.

More fussed about good snow (which monetier does have) and level of ability of my sister (so we can be more adventorous together).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 30-12-07 18:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Christopher, it depends where you stay in Monetier, our apartment is right opposite the lifts, so no hills at all, and you only have a short uphill walk to the village in the evenings. Monetier is fairly quiet, but there is often live music in the Alpen bar.
latest report
shockingmoment wrote:
dan100 wrote:
shockingmoment wrote:
Great news. Davina (www.snow-connections.com) has come up with the goods. She's set up a new ski school so has been a bit busy....

Anyway, from what I gather, the lessons will be based in Villeneuve.

do you where the new ski school going to meet?

Dan - good point. Don't know. Apart from Villeneuve. I posted the link to the website - S/C 1400 somewhere!
I'm hoping they'll collect us from Chantemerle.

Top marks for great organisation.

Davina at snow-connections.com has arranged for a ski instructor to meet us at Serre Ratier (outside cafe?) for the lessons. Must remember my red Carnation.

Saves us a lot of hassle travelling and means we get an extra 1/2h in bed!

Not long to go.
latest report
snowangel. Hi could you please give me the name/contact details of your fab instructor friend and the discount shop - we arrive in SC Chantemerle on 6 april. Thank you!! Liz F
ski holidays
Liz Freeman, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

If you don't get an answer (and haven't sussed it out of course), try sending a private message - the process auto emails notification to the recipient.
ski holidays
hi the ski school is snow connections if you search on snow connections sure you will website and contact details. Snowangel's contact is Davina. She is very nice and speaks incredible english - sadly i didn't have my lesson with er but can reccomend her colleague jules if davina not availiable. My friends on our trip also had rivate lessons.I think I was the most positive about my instructor so if davina not availiable ask for jules. pretty good value at 37 euros per hour.
snow report
dan100, Davina is English.
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
dan100, Davina is English.
Embarassed thought her accent sounded amazing
latest report
dan100, Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy