Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets for girls/ladies

Poster: A snowHead
I finally decided I have taken too many chances with my brain, and if I continue this way, my luck will run out, so its time to buy a helmet!

What sort of things do I need to take into account (other than how pretty it is and whether it co-ordinates with the outfit, obviously). I ski a fair amount with children, and on my days off I tend to stick to the piste/just off piste, if my skiing style makes a difference?

Final problem, I have a rather small head, so am I best off getting a kids helmet, or do they not protect so well? Any advice or recommendations of good/shady brands will be much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
swisssnowbunny, I just tried on a lot until I found one which fitted well - it needs to be a close fit, so that if you move it gently up and down on your forhead, your skin moves with it, so your eyebrows move too. Different makes have different fittings (like shoes) so go to a shop which has plenty of choice. I found that out of quite a lot of helmets, only one was really right - a Giro, as it happens. However, I quickly came to love it; especially with built in music, and now wear it almost all the time.

Well, not to bed...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obvious gag advoided, phew. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
swisssnowbunny, don't think in terms of Things To Take Into Account: think in terms of fit.
Treat the process the same as for boots. Go to a place with lots of helmets. Give yourself a clear morning or afternoon. Find someone with expertise in heads and helmets. Forget looks and get the one that fits best and is comfortable. Expect to pay between £60 and £160.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Once you've found a make and model that fits you may find they have it in more than one colour! Mine is silver grey with white flowers on Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Most girlies I know prefer them in pink or purple.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, wow as subtle as a brick Razz

Mine is a cebe one in silver and I wear it because it seems to stop my head getting smashed in and it sets a good example to my younger brother, who wont ski without one now.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nadenoodlee, I've been trying really hard to resist all weekend, but I was weak.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer, you're a naughty naughty boy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got on quite well with the R.E.D Rena which is a women's specific, but have had small men's helmets in the past. So whatever fits best and is most comfortable really! Try on a range of helmets in a store
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I too wish to buy a helmet for my next ski trip. Following a horse riding accident in May (wearing a riding hat, thankfully) and the subsequent 4 1/2 months of concussion and whiplash symptoms, I don't think it's a good idea to risk skiing without a helmet. I don't want to go through the last few months again and if I do happen to bash my head again I want to limit the damage as much as possible.

I'm based "up North" in Cheshire, fairly near Manchester. Can anyone suggest a shop in this area that as recommended by Jonpim, has a lot of helmets and people with expertise in heads and helmets?

Also is there any difference between helmets worn by skiers and boarders?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer wrote:
Most girlies I know prefer them in pink or purple.

WHAT?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jo66,

Ellis Brighams just off Liverpool St in Manchester
Wellington Mill, Duke Street, Castlefield,
Manchester, M3 4NF
Tel. 0161 211 6200 Fax. 0161 211 6242

Snow and Rock
Manchester Superstore, Unit 1, 751-807 Princess Parkway, Princess Park, Didsbury Manchester, M20 2ZE

Tel: 0161 4484444

Chill Factore - still Slush & Rubble

Trafford Way, Trafford Quays

Manchester. M41 7JA

And there are probably others up there as well
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks kermit,
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On a whim when I got my helmet I paid a bit more for ventilation I can open and close without taking the helmet off (kind of a eagle eye action man lever at the back) I would say it was WELL worth the extra money.
latest report
I have a R.E.D in white. I look a plum but it has improved my boarding & my confidence.
snow report
Jo66, maybe worth looking in Decathloin as well. Mrs NBT got hers there
snow report
I don't think there's any difference in the helmets sold to skiers and snowboarders, Jo66.

I have a giro 9 (dark grey). I put a nice flowery sticker on the back to make it a bit less masculine. My friend has a giro 9 which is white with fushia coloured straps. I doubt, that was intended as a men's helmet (but each to their own!). wink

Just try them all on and see which you like best. Smile I bought mine in McCoos in Whistler, but then they have lots of choice there.
ski holidays
swisssnowbunny, I have a Giro "fuse" in XS. It's grey, has a slidy thing to open and close ventilation holes and removable bits to aid even more ventilation. You need to try on as many as poss and go for the best fit. Like others, you can always pretty it up with stickers.
snow conditions
I ended up getting Red-Trace. It seems to fit nicely, and the guy in the shop discarded a lot of others because my head was too small?! so I was happy to find one that fitted. Its a nice matt black, by the way. Kramer, my one criteria was not pink. NehNeh
snow conditions
Quote:

you can always pretty it up with stickers.

I know people do this, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. They certainly tell you not to do it to motorbike helmets on the grounds that the glue isn't good for them.
latest report
Can I just remind people that just because a helmet fits, it doesn't mean you should buy it. There are some other very important aspects of helmet selection. Like, do I look like a complete <<insert>> wearing it?

1. Avoid helmets that are designed to make you go faster. This could just be the stickers / paint job, lots of stripes etc or it could be the shape. What's with those ridiculous cone shaped helmets? If the helmet has stripey patterns or lumps of plastic that are not found on the natural contours of your head, don't buy it.*

2. If you insist on wearing sunglasses with it (don't), then FFS get one that looks nice with sun glasses. I would only recommend one with a sun peak / visor like a Giro MX, Salomon, Bern or perhaps Sweet**. (FWIW Mrs P wears sunnies with hers, and looks hot with a visor, stupid but hot).

3. Americans have a great term "gapper" which is used a little like "punter", this is because of the gap that forms between the helmet and goggles. Don't do this. Buy a helmet, then take it to a shop and buy goggles that actually fit.

4. Don't get a full face helmet unless you are really hucking stuff. You'll look like a tool if you're skiing doesn't match up. However, buy your kids FF helmets from Argos, cos they're cool and they'll like wearing them, and they're cheap.

5. Wear it. Don't ever ski with a helmet attached to your backpack. Skinning / hiking sans lid is OK.

6. Hard ear protection. This is a tough call, why wear a helmet if your ears aren't protected? Just be aware of how some of the ear protection looks. Go for soft / removable if possible, but NEVER remove your ear pads unless you are way way off piste. Have a look below for the correlation between a cool helmet and one that isn't.

7. Buy a specific ski helmet. Yes you look "redunckulous" in a bike helmet and even a climbing helmet, unless you really are going climbing.

8. Don't have extra things on your helmet. Like, can holders for on-the-go liquids, visors / built-in eye protection (not to be confused with sun visor), even music is a no-no for real skiers.

If you are still confused as to whether you are buying an alien lid you can help yourself out by buying a Giro, Salomon, RED, Bern, Pro-Tec or Sweet***.

* - this actually may not apply to you if you like to look like you ski really fast. For example you wear Spyder, Phenonix or another excellent quality, "I want to ski really fast outfit". Please see point 3.
** - tres cher
*** - other lids may be available. Please post pictures if you are unsure, I will advise.

Some help:

A 'helm' with a go faster fin and some sort of goggle thing. NOT COOL:

Nice paint job! Team this up with a nice Sypder number:

Fast as a fast thing:

And a couple of cool helmets:

Sun visor, cool:

Hey, this acceptable helmet comes in "go faster composite", tone down your Spyder rig with one of these, pretty expensive mind:

You may be wondering "what does Parlor wear?" I've got a custom made number, but let's not forget I am a cool, hard skiing, cliff hucking homo.
snow report
parlor, cliff-hucking homo? Well, congratulations on coming out of the closet. How does Mrs P feel about it?
snow report
parlor, Interesting post, espec the 'Buy a specific ski helmet. Yes you look "redunckulous" in a bike helmet '. Surely the likes of Pro-tec, Bern et al have a great deal of similarity with their bike and ski stuff.

Only asking as I'm in the market for a bike lid (looking at pro-tec at the mo, though the new Fox one is pretty cool, just cann't find it anywhere) and was thinking that it may 'double up' for skiing? BTW, never used a helmet whilst sking before, but will be doing in the future.

Not sure this post makes too much sense, but any advise would be good. Ta.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
How does Mrs P feel about it?

With both hands apparently Shocked
ski holidays
Lizzard, it was in fact Mrs P that pointed it out to me. Us homo sapiens are a lot tougher than we look, first they said we wouldn't last long, now we ski tall on two legs.

IMT, I think it would be possible to buy a decent helmet that works for both. When I started wearing a helmet (10 years ago, but only for park and pipe) I wore a Pro-Tec BMX helmet. IME most bike helmets don't offer enough warmth to ski in. Fox make some great FF helmets, I don't know their full range. If you follow the rest of the rules you should be OK, it was more specific to people wearing helmets like the one below to ski in:

latest report
parlor wrote:
Lizzard, it was in fact Mrs P that pointed it out to me. Us homo sapiens are a lot tougher than we look, first they said we wouldn't last long, now we ski tall on two legs.

IMT, I think it would be possible to buy a decent helmet that works for both. When I started wearing a helmet (10 years ago, but only for park and pipe) I wore a Pro-Tec BMX helmet. IME most bike helmets don't offer enough warmth to ski in. Fox make some great FF helmets, I don't know their full range. If you follow the rest of the rules you should be OK, it was more specific to people wearing helmets like the one below to ski in:

Totally agreed - they are not the helmets to wear whilst skiing Shocked Nice on the MTB though...

There's a new Fox pisspot helmet called the coalscuttle, or something like that, but I've been unable to find them anywhere yet - maybe next years model - only seen a pic from a trade fair. Don't tend to get too cold (benefits of late season skiing), but I take your point. Thanks for the clarification.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy