Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marmotte. Love it or hate it?

Poster: A snowHead
Walking through the Alps yesterday, my sister asked me whether marmottes were/are eaten? I had no idea. I've not seen any marmotte saucisson. What's the answer?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, I would guess that they're at least as tasty as guinea pigs...which some folks find very tasty...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hasn't Paddington Bear recently ditched marmalade for it ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jerry, rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They used to be trapped for food, fur and their fat, which was thought to be good for rheumatism. Don't think they are any more though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a guy round here who hunts Marmottes. Not sure if its for food though.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 21-10-07 9:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Love it, especially thinly spread on hot toast, yummy Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find it's usually one of those quite good fun 'cruisy' runs...

rolling eyes oh, you meant the animals and not the piste(s)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love my cute furry whistling marmotte!

(OK, I admit it, I can be very kitsch at times... )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I seen puffin on a menu in Iceland. No I did not.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saw loads of em this summer and they didnt seem too worried about us humans, might be protected?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob, puffin is a delicacy in Iceland and the Faroes - people catch them by leaning off cliffs with big nets, Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Isn't there a rule that every French ski resort has to have a run called Marmotte?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I understood that you could eat any mammal with the exception of polar bear.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chalky, you can eat polar bear provided you avoid the liver, which contains lethal amounts of vitamin A, apparently.

You have to catch one and subdue it first though.
ski holidays
I have heard stories of marmot stew being served in mountain huts. I reckon it would be quite nice - a bit like rabbit?
ski holidays
In mongolia they love 'em...tasty, tasty, very very tasty.....

For those above who seem very keen (perhaps a little too keen) I have copied the recipe for you..How you catch them is not at all clear..

Marmot Boodog

With the opening of a marmot-hunting season, Marmot Boodog becomes a very popular and fun outdoor activity for Mongolians, especially men. Marmot hunting and boodog cooking is a prerogative of men. A freshly killed marmot is separated from intestines and cleaned. Then, a prepared marmot is filled with preheated hot stones and tightly sealed. The marmot meat is cooked by the heat of stones from inside. Additional heating is provided by open fire or gas burner. The same amount of precaution as described above must be used for handling the marmot cooking process. When done, the marmot meat is very tender and tastes like wild duck according to some foreigners.

Ingredients (5 servings):
1 medium marmot
Salt

Cooking gear:
From small to medium sized smooth stones
Firewood

Cooking time:
Approximately 1.5 hours

Clean the marmot, separate the intestines and slightly remove hair from the skin. Rub the inside with salt, fill up with hot stones and seal tightly. Additionally, roast the marmot on slow open fire or with a gas burner. Usually, Mongolians do not use seasonings in order to keep the specific taste of marmot meat. When the cooking is done, the stones are pulled out, rolled in hands, the meat is cut into pieces and served hot.
ski holidays
cfc5mu0 wrote:
In mongolia they love 'em...tasty, tasty, very very tasty.....

For those above who seem very keen (perhaps a little too keen) I have copied the recipe for you..How you catch them is not at all clear..

Marmot Boodog

With the opening of a marmot-hunting season, Marmot Boodog becomes a very popular and fun outdoor activity for Mongolians, especially men. Marmot hunting and boodog cooking is a prerogative of men. A freshly killed marmot is separated from intestines and cleaned. Then, a prepared marmot is filled with preheated hot stones and tightly sealed. The marmot meat is cooked by the heat of stones from inside. Additional heating is provided by open fire or gas burner. The same amount of precaution as described above must be used for handling the marmot cooking process. When done, the marmot meat is very tender and tastes like wild duck according to some foreigners.

Ingredients (5 servings):
1 medium marmot
Salt

Cooking gear:
From small to medium sized smooth stones
Firewood

Cooking time:
Approximately 1.5 hours

Clean the marmot, separate the intestines and slightly remove hair from the skin. Rub the inside with salt, fill up with hot stones and seal tightly. Additionally, roast the marmot on slow open fire or with a gas burner. Usually, Mongolians do not use seasonings in order to keep the specific taste of marmot meat. When the cooking is done, the stones are pulled out, rolled in hands, the meat is cut into pieces and served hot.

The last line of this gag usually reads "all that remains is to discard the meat and eat the stones"
snow conditions
I don't think I could bring myself to eat the above recipe, purely because I know that the asian marmot was responsible for the black death. An alpine marmot might just get it though... Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy