Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tahoe 07/08

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Vin C,

See embedded answers (BTW am slightly jealous!)

Vin C wrote:
I'm thinking of driving from San Francisco (SFO) to South Lake Tahoe, probably Heavenly, on 3rd March. A couple of questions that I would really appreciate any answers to, if possible:

* I'm thinking of pre-ordering the '7 resort' lift ticket and ski equipment hire online from http://www.skisafariextras.com/
Has anyone used this service before?

Prices with skisafari are excellent as is their service.

Vin C wrote:

* Do I really need to hire a 4x4 car or is the bus system sufficient to get from/to SFO and around the lake to the different resorts?

I've done both and would thoroughly recommend a car as it makes life so much easier - more freedom.
However the buses are good if you want to do that.
From Heavenly you can get to Kirkwood and Sierra by bus in a reasonable time (<1 hour)
But the other resorts can be (+1 hour), so be prepared for an earlier start.
Haven't bussed from SFO, but did from Reno and unfortunately we had a 2 hour wait after 12 hours of airline travel.
The drive from SFO is easy enough and the hire companies will rent you chains for around $30 if used $8 if not.
We hired a mini-van (Skisafari) through Avis - very easy to throw gear in the back even with 4 of us.
Drive from SFO is easy but takes 4 hours so be prepared after your transatlantic flight! Preferable to share the driving.

Vin C wrote:

* If I do hire a 4x4 from SFO they (AVIS / HERTZ) don't seem to provide snow equipped rentals etc... do I really need all-weather tyres and snow chains etc? Does anyone know a rental company that does snow equipped rentals from SFO?

They will provide chains if you request see comment above.
Vin C wrote:

My flight is already confirmed but I'm a little unsure about driving in snowy/icy conditions, and even slightly anxious about possibly driving without the right equipment!

Roads are kept clear, it's only IF they haven't had a chance to clear them that you will need chains. We didn't and driving was easy even after a night of heavy snow.
I'd suggest a car/4x4 as the freedom will seriously enhance your holiday experience. Go for the 7 resort lift pass and then use it to your hearts content. Thoroughly recommend Northstar.

Which ever decision you go with (you will) have a great time.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bones, thanks for the info and the link.

On 9th January, DELTA were offering flights from London to Reno for under GBP300 but then over the next few days the price went quickly & steeply up to over GBP400. The price factor and as Reno (apparently) sometimes closes due to bad weather; and the total door-to-door travel time appears to be as quick or quicker via SFO, I choose that option.

Although the '8 of 10 days Ski Lake Tahoe 7 Resort Pass' costs GBP221 or about GBP28 per skiing day, I'll sit down and think some more about lift tickets as this lift ticket might not be such a bargain as I originally thought.

Thanks again.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So here's the scoop. We did get 15-18" on thursday but everything except 3" got blown into the stratosphere on friday. It started snowing at 9 this morning (sat)and was nuking by noon and was still dumping when I left the hill at 2. Maybe 5" fell in those 2 hours. Supposed to continue full-throttle till tommorrow morning then snowshowers thru monday morning.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
10am (pst)Nice little system appears to have left behind 20-30+" overnight to the Sierra. I'm here on the nevada side of heavenly waiting for stagecoach to load. It should have opened 1.5 hours ago... Its turning, people are waiting but I'm still in the jeep, eyeing the situation. If the parking area is deep in snow, no telling what the mountain is going to be like. Can hear them setting off charges in mott canyon.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Twas an epic day yesterday. I got parked at 930 or so and was about the 10th car in the lot. Knew I was chancing it since windy conditions were forecast but my heart was lifted when I saw the bullwheels turning. Stagecoach lifted opened at 10am even as the official website was saying 12pm, plus it was superbowl sunday when the slopes are vacant and some roads were closed due to avalanches so a lot of the people that wanted to be there weren't even able.
So I rode stagecoach for about close to 2 hours. Fresh tracks for a while there then just a tracked up bottomless snowy love fest hitting my favorite lines one at a time down the many different ridgelines that lift offers. Kept an eye towards upper nevada side each run. Lightning strikes as I see dipper turning and I make the call to traverse over around the backside of stagecoach. After the hike up from between the two halves of eastpeak lodge I am rewarded with an empty corral, empty slopes and the lift attendants standing in the control building for that lift ...I guess I had dropped down a little early So I loaded anyways and the guys didn't come out of the control. Unbelievable!! I rode up that lift and every run I could see was basically untouched. My first run down was straightlining a trench down dipper bowl...nice! When I got to the bottom, there were just a couple people hauling ass down the connector runs towards dip/comet base area...oh poo-poo gotta load fast. I did makes turns my second run up top and now there are some people whooting cus remember they are just getting their first peek at the goods and I'm headed down for my second run...awesome awesome awesome. Highlight of the season so far.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cold nights and mild days is what weather prevails for the time being. Powder-->packed powder conditions possibly beginning corn cycle soon (3-4 days). Right now above 8500' its still powder on a sponge where many things are possible. A little firmer conditions below that elevation.
Right now at heavenly probably close to half the runs have some kind of ungroomed bump action going on. three thumbs up.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back from my week in Tahoe had a great time,great snow,great place,will definately be returning

3snowboards, you're very lucky to be living a fantastic part of the world
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When one visits a place that gets 300 sunny days a year, a person has to expect some blue skies. Sorry that's all you got, but I guess you were happy with what we had. Now that you have returned home we are returning to a stormy cycle. And its about time.
Updates posted later.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First wave coming thru the region arrived last night somewhat wetter then expected, now spilling over the crest into the great basin. With the amount of precip. seen down here (mixture of snow/rain @5000') on the eastern slope, forecasted amounts of 6" for last night and today are sure to be surpassed. Next wave forecasted to be wetter and colder then today is due tommorrow, and the third wave (and supposably the strongest) is due sat thru sun.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
10-16" since wed. A possible 4-6" more today and a forecasted 24-36" on sat/sun. Gonna be a good weekend!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was looking at the Forecast for Kirkwood for Sat:
Snow Potential
38 to 46 inches of accumulation.

Wind:
increasing to S/ SW to 20 - 35 gusts to 55mph (gusts to 90+mph above timberline

Pffff......

To whoever is going to South Lake Tahoe in early March and flying into SFO, I found the cheapest and easiest way of making the trip was using Amtrak, taking the Train to Sacramento, from where a dedicated train link Amtrak Coach service takes you on to South Lake Tahoe. There is a bus link from the airport to the train, but I used the BART system to get out to Richmond where you can go from the BART network onto the Amtrak service. $28 for the trip.

www.bart.gov
http://www.amtrakcapitols.com/

Just sit on the left side of the bus going to South Lake once Highway 50 becomes single carriageway if your a bit queasy about heights! Twisted Evil

Edit - should add that the airport information desks were always happy to find out if the amtrak bus links were running if there was any weather issues on the roads.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mon feb 25
Rode Heavenly yesterday (sunday) during the tail-end of the last low pressure system that cleared out this morning. Near whiteout conditions at times, but I got first tracks down the places where I know the snow pockets are the deepest and was greeted with thigh deep which was actually too deep for me to plow thru. After digging myself out several more times I was resigned to hitting stuff that was already tracked up a bit. Lots of good inbetween stuff all day.
I believe the mountain is walking a little off kilter after the whupping I put on it yesterday.
I think south shore got around 30" out of the last front so not a bad week snow wise.
High pressure returns for most of the week. Sun/sun/sun.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Winter returned for a brief time last weekend dropping 20-30" over the tahoe basin. Saturday was faceshots on crust but sunday was faceshots on fluff in many locations. Now back to our regularly scheduled spring.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
22 APR 08

Well Tahoe has been getting just dustings for the last month or so, which is basically just keeping our base depths abot average up to now. Heavenly is sitting at around a 60" base, kirkwood is still around 100".
Pretty strong disturbance is moving in 10-12"+ expected tonight/tommorrow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
6-10" reported around the basin over tues/wed with more reported the further north you look.
Though closed yesterday due to high winds, spring conditions returned today at Heavenly for the recently announced extra two weeks of season. Sweet!!
Decent base depth of 40-70 at the base of adventure peak@ 9136' EL.
Good coverage on nevada side. 40-60" above eastpeak lodge 8625' EL.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy