Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 07/08

Poster: A snowHead
From the horses mouth (at Nevisrange)

We plan to remain open through next week and into the following weekend, weather permitting as always, when we will then review both conditions and demand for the following week. Currently conditions are great - check out our webcam. We are a little perplexed as to where this info has appeared about our closing this weekend as you are not the first person to ask today.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
firstracks, doesn't anyone ski the headwall of the Cas any more? Clearly lots of snow, but no mention so far as I can see. Seems to look better and better - you must have nearly as much snow as us. I'm not back in the UK until the second week of May though, if there were lifts open then I'd deffo pop up, but I don't do walking up the mountain first!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, excellent Very Happy hope to get a few days in after the Eosb Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Didn't coire cas avalanche the other day?

Its definitely still being skied though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah the Cas Headwall slid a few days ago:
http://www.cairngormmountain.org.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/avalanche2.jpg
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm going to Nevis tomorrow - yippeeeeee!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski,

I've skied it after returning from Macdui on a couple of occassions, and it its regularly skied if its not an avalanche risk.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Everyone drop what you're doing and go to CairnGorm tomorrow! There is such good cover - slide anywhere!

Photos from today here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/cg/winter200708/08apr16/

One of the photos, East Lady:
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How was your return to the Ciste car park? I think I saw you stood on the ridge line for a while.

Nice pictures, there's even one of me in my stupid hat!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Laogh Mor return fenceline was absolutely fantastic - no problems at all, massive cover. Yeah I was stood on the ridge for a while, taking the last photos that appear in the gallery. Hope you enjoyed the rest of the day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
firstracks, That looks amazing Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cool pic.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Today was the best day I've had at Cairngorm by a long way. Everywhere, every nook, cranny and crack is filled with snow, there's fresh lines to be had anywhere you look and the sun shone pretty much all day as witnesses my red face. Embarassed Covered so much new terrain today, it's completely changed my perspective of Cairngorm. Reminds me of the old adage, when it's bad, it's very very bad but when it's good it's ... Madeye-Smiley

Crispy and crusted off-piste early on then by the p.m. it was forgiving enough to make turns anywhere. I could have spent all day on the Aonach and West Wall but the tow out got too busy. Instead had a few runs down the East Lady in the afternoon. Mind the home road (right of funicular as you look down the hill) and be ready to scream to a halt for the broken snow 3/4 the way down. End of M2 is broken too but the pisteur was working that as I left.

Fantastic day. B)

Road up ...

Car park ...

View from funicular ...

Aonach bowl snow ...

West Wall snow ...

East Lady snow ...

Number One Gully ...

Not even sure where this was ...

West Wall Poma ...

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went to Nevis today. I think you Cairngorm bods did better weather wise. The clouds came down off and on and the wind was very fierce whipping up stuff into your face every now and again.

The Goose was pretty solid first thing. Part of it was pisted which helped as the bit they didn't do had death cookies the size of footballs! The far Goose gully had lovely windblown powder in it though. The Summit was ski-ing really well and Warrens was just gorgeous. Never made it into the back bowls though for a number of reasons but they were open.

Despite the weather, it still was a fab day. Long may it continue!!

PS: The beginner areas lower down are getting quite broken just in case some of you wanted or know people that might be looking for those areas.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
moffatross,
Quote:

End of M2 is broken too but the pisteur was working that as I left.

I assume you mean the bottom of the Daylodge, as the M2 looked fine to me when I skied down at 5pmish, but the bottom half of the daylodge was definetly getting dodgy - still it is mid April Very Happy . Ther was a fair bit of pisting going on as I left so today should be another good day and the weekend is loooking pretty good at the moment with sunny spells now on the forecast.
snow report
Indeed I did mean the day-lodge section. I travelled down at about 5.00 p.m. too and that last bit needed some quick and decisive turns through the slush to avoid scarring your bases. Other than that last 100 metres or so, the M2 (like every pisted run on the mountain) was in proper 'hero snow' condition. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:

and that last bit needed some quick and decisive turns through the slush to avoid scarring your bases. Other than that last 100 metres or so, the M2 (like every pisted run on the mountain) was in proper 'hero snow' condition.

I know what you mean, and I'm not sure I quite succeeded. The top of the Daylodge was nice with that really easily skiable scottish spring snow, all soft and sugary, but fast and not sticky. I'd skied the Daylodge first thing after skinning out from the Ciste Gulley and then it was hard and icy cut up crud and not very nice to ski at all.
ski holidays
I'm looking at getting some sliding in next week, Wed 23rd is looking favourite, will decide last minute depending on weather! Will Glencoe be shut on a Wednesday? Nevis won't be running Braveheart, so Cairngorm is currently looking favourite.....
snow conditions
Glencoe will say when they are shut on their website (sometimes it's easier to work out on winterhighland as it's sometimes put on the scrolling newsbar only). They usually shut tues/weds but was weds only this week & it will depend on the forecast. If its bluebird on wednesday but forecast gales thursday then they might open.
snow conditions
Amazing day on Wednesday, more cloud around today (Thurs) but so far it's clear of the tops and there has still been some sunny spells. Wasn't planning to go up today, but a couple of afternoon hours might be in order as the WH webcams appear to have locked up. In terms of off-piste conditions you'll get as many opinions as there were skiers - very variable even over very short distances, on the Laogh Mor Return skied firm grippy snow, windblown powder, wind packed powder, pockets of windslab, soft snow, a section of breakable crust and then spring snow! Amazing cover in Coire Laogh Mor.

^Stacks of snow in Coire Laogh Mor, looking towards Lochan na Beinne - which is below the Ciste Carpark level.

^Looking down into Coire Laogh Mor from above the Laogh Mor Traverse fences (which also provide access to the East Wall from just below the Ptarmigan Tow). The start of the Laogh Mor Return fenceline which sweeps round the hill back to the Carpark can just be seen a short distance in from the RHS of the photo about half way up the photo (see full size version on WH and it's clearly visible).

^The West Wall seen from far out on the East Wall beyond No2 Gully.

Good coverage also on the Aonach Ridge as an alternative (and easier to follow for those not familiar with the area) route to the Ciste Carpark and all routes to the Cas Carpark skiable. Loads more on-piste photos on WH.

Clicky: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=471
latest report
Hi Winterhighland,

Surprised I didn't see you at all yesterday, as i saw jamie, helen and les at various points during the day, and was stood, for ages, in a massive queue at the WWpoma just after the Ciste Tow broke.
snow report
Alan, you have the same weather station as I've got in my garden ! You'll also find my fresh tracks outside the hut and a message written in the snow under the monument. wink

snow report
A few bits of video from Cairngorm yesterday. Spot the snow-kite. wink

http://youtube.com/v/mameUL5Ipn0
snow conditions
moffatross, nice video. Smile No sign of message at the memorial, skied passed it this afternoon but fresh snow was drifting down the East Lady. WRT the weather station I thought a propeller anemometer would be less likely to have the propeller blow away (since it's enclosed) than a cup one, it's recorded 96mph so quite impressed that it survived the winter. I had a fear of the whole weather station taking off!!

Quieter today on the 'Gorm, I think fear of it being overcast and grey put a dent in numbers, but the afternoon turned out to be bright and sunny. So here's a selection of photos from this afternoon...

^The White Lady viewed from the SSC Hut - was pisted to about 5 or 6 machines width this evening!! Superb packed powder awaits.

^Putting in a turn on the West Wall Chair run under bright spring sunshine. WWP beyond.

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=472

A risk that there will be fewer sunny spells tomorrow as the North/Western Cairngorms being projected to be around the Westerwards edge of any cloud coming off the North Sea. However at the moment looking good for the weekend, part cloudy skies giving some good clearances with decent bright and sunny spells. Full cover and possible to ski anywhere on the mountain above mid-station level on both the Cas and Ciste sides of the mountain, also skiable to both the Cas and Coire Na Ciste (Lower) Carparks, with extensive cover on the Aonach Ridge and Coire Laogh Mor routes to the Ciste Carpark.

Promising weekend in store and the last few days have offered up some of the days of the season. snowHead snowHead
snow report
any view on how its looking for Tues/Wed next week alan??
ski holidays
A post EOSB trip is looking like a real possibility...
snow conditions
Planning on taking my son to Aonach Mor tomorrow, has anyone got any idea on the best place for equipment hire for him. Last time at Glencoe the equipment hire took forever even though the hill was fairly quiet.
latest report
The base station is probably better for hire at Nevis Range than Glencoe. Glencoe must be run on an absolute shoestring & it shows at ski hire & the cafe. Nowt wrong with the slopes though! Think Nevisport in FW also still do ski hire (1st Right into a wee car park after the Morrisons r-about, before getting to the hospital). I'm thinking Caingorm tomorrow, Nevis sunday but I'm slightly concerned about the wind.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very windy here in Glasgow at the mo. MWIS seems to have stopped working (maybe just my computer) but Metcheck are still going with average-ish wind speeds.
snow report
Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Thanks for sharing all these photos, it looks absolutely sublime - what an amazing season for Scotland and may there be many more snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
easiski wrote:
firstracks, doesn't anyone ski the headwall of the Cas any more? Clearly lots of snow, but no mention so far as I can see. Seems to look better and better - you must have nearly as much snow as us. I'm not back in the UK until the second week of May though, if there were lifts open then I'd deffo pop up, but I don't do walking up the mountain first!

Does the second week include the May day weekend Charlotte?

I'm intending heading up then Toofy Grin
snow conditions
roga, I'm thinking about it too...but easiski also suggested on another thread that La Grave might stay open beyond 1st May...too many attractive options out there! In which case, if Scotland stayed open till 3rd-4th week in May... Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
^ LOL, if it does I'll be back up for my birthday snowHead
snow report
Photos from Nevis Range today:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/nr/winter200708/08apr18/

One of the photos - Coire Dubh
ski holidays
roga, Was hoping to make it too, but not able to now Sad - have PMed you...
ski holidays
We did a tour up to the summit of cairngorm today and then back down the piste. Knackered now!

Back tomorrow for some lift served fun instead!

Really good vibe around the hill today, lots of happy people, lots of snow and pretty decent weather too.
snow report
turned into a lovely day on cairngorm, things off-piste were a bit hard & choppy early on but did soften up nicely when the sun came out. big crowd out though queues were fine, west wall poma was pretty busy at times. still great ski-anywhere conditions
a few photies:

race course in Aonach bowl, various club fun races around the hill today

East lady from WL tow track

and a few in sneacdha

more of the same tomorrow Very Happy

Barry
snow report
Just back from Aonach Mor, wonderful snow everything complete except for the very botton. Great weather, fabulous day.
ski holidays
How on earth do I find out if Glencoe is open this Tuesday? been on their website and cannot see any info on midweek opening!

Aiming for there or Cairngorm Tuesday 22nd, can anyone recommend some good sites to check the weather forecast on Monday so I can decide where to go?

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
Glencoe should update their plans for the week ahead on sunday evening - they've been varying their days-off based on weather forecast lately, update should be on their website or http://www.winterhighland.info

MWIS is good for weather:

http://www.mwis.org.uk/index.php
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy