Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine - reliable snow for weekend in Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of booking a weekend trip Fri-Mon in late Jan. I'll be flying to Geneva. I've come up with some very reasonable priced accommodation in Morzine.
What do you think about snow reliability in late Jan with Morzine being quite low?
Are there any other resorts close to Geneva, suitable for intermediates, where accommodation for singles would be easily found at a reasonable price?
Any suggestions?
Jo
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nobody know, honestly. However, even if snow at resort level is rather lacking in Morzine, you shouldn't have any problem finding snow to ski on, and that area is nicely accessible from Geneva. If you want to be a bit more snowsure, and a bit closer, you could look at Flaine, though Morzine has more character. But Morzine is quite big - make sure you know where potential accommodation is sited, for access to lifts.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Jo66, if the worst comes to the worst, you're only a 10 minute bus ride plus cable car from Avoriaz, which is pretty snowsure.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
last year there were cows grazing on the web cam at that time of year wink , but the web cam is really low, this year may be different ???, I am sure there will be access to snow up at Avoriaz no matter what the conditions will be like at resort level, although I believe the ski passes were restricted up at Av for 'outsiders/independent travellers at soem stage last season when it was really bad. cheap accom is tempting though. personally I would consider somewhere higher, but hey, it is all nice out there and if you have a good deal ...............
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been there (well Les Gets, which is 2 chairs and 2 blues away) for the last 5 years. Of those, 4 have been superb skiing in January, and one was green in the village when we arrived, but we still got a full 6 days skiing in up at Avoriaz.
Of the French PdS, Morzine is the most conveniently placed base. Don't worry about Morzine village being quite low, because Avoriaz is much higher and is very easily accessed from Morzine (either the cable car that brian mentioned, or the Super Morzine bubble)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, if there's nothing up at avoriaz, there'll be nothing at most resorts within easy reach of geneva. I was there in the "green" week last year, and although it was a bit of hassle getting passes on the 1st day (mainly cos everything was being discounted and sold on a daily basis), we got a full week on white stuff.
All of the 5 recent times I've been there it has snowed during the week, even to the extent that I had to bin my rubbish goggles and buy a decent pair so I could see.
I would definitely go there again in late Jan. Only reason I've not planned anything yet is that my usual chalet is self-catering this year, and I fancied a change for my main holiday. Certainly top of the list for January late availability though!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All who have mentioned Avoriaz, would you stay there or down at Morzine?

Anyone know what late availability is like for Manchester-Geneva flights? Is it best to book now when they are reasonable or to wait?

Would it be too risky to book flights now and wait to see where the snow is then book accommodation at the last minute? Will everybody be doing the same thing?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You got to say yes really, January has been IPO the best snow in rescent years. As above, Avoriaz is just a few lifts away if not. Late Jan, Jo.
latest report
 brian
brian
Jo66, stay in Avoriaz if you like ski in/out and don't mind purpose built apartment blocks. Morzine is much more of a real town. I'd stay in Morzine but it's horses for courses.

No probs booking flights now and holding off for accom. January is a quiet month.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jo66 wrote:
All who have mentioned Avoriaz, would you stay there or down at Morzine?

Morzine for me. Easy access from GVA. Easy Access from there to Avoriaz (Super Morzine bubble, 1 easy blue, 1 chair, and then you're in the heart of Avoriaz)

Half of Morzine's skiing is actually Avoriaz, and the other half is shared with the Les Gets/Morzine area.

There's plenty of knowledgeable Morzine/Avoriaz/Les Gets skiers/boarders here if you need to know the best places to ski/eat, and no doubt the thread from last year will be resurrected soon.

Jo66 wrote:
Would it be too risky to book flights now and wait to see where the snow is then book accommodation at the last minute?

I'm very tempted to book a flight to GVA right now (Lufthansa was sub 100 euros all inclusive the last few years for me). Then book accommodation last minute. January is the quietest time.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jo66, book flights now for sure if they are cheap, most on here have probably got a couple of flights to a major ski hub airport already booked, I know I have Very Happy just tend to hold off a bit on picking the resort, but first few weeks of Jan are quiet on the whole so most places should have free rooms to rent
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy