Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a good resort to take my non-skiing mum to.

Poster: A snowHead
snowball, if you want chilli in France, the thing to buy is the glass jars of whole chillis in brine. Recently discovered these and they are excellent - much better than mere chilli powder.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lizzard, A lot of that sounds like kid's food, so perhaps they had children who were fussy eaters? I know what you mean though. Things that people have brought here from the UK which really puzzled me were honey (?), ham (??), olive oil (???) and filter coffee (?????!)

We've taken our non-skiing parents (both sets) to Chamonix and they've always enjoyed it, but since you've been there and are after a change, I think Les Gets or Morzine would be a good choice, too. The Portes de Soleil also has some nice areas where she could take a bubble up to meet you at the midstation for lunch on the mountain - our parents have always really enjoyed doing this when they've visited. I agree with what's been said about the trade-offs..
Val d'Isere, Serre Chevalier and Wengen also come to mind. I suppose another possibility would be Les Houches?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
firebug, what on earth is 'kids food' anyway? (Apart from the pureed stuff for those titchy ones with no teeth.) We used to be given food and a choice of eat it or don't. None of us has died of starvation yet. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Indeed, and anyway I never met a kid yet that didn't like raclette! Or French mountain food in general, for that matter. Melted cheese and potatoes rarely fails to please. Maybe that's why they didn't need it, and left it all behind for you. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, I have even been known to bring my own wine to France wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, you are a weirdo. Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also, I don't know if you're serious about her bringing her own saucepans, but I would really recommend anyone wanting to cook a lot in a self-catering place to bring their own knives (not in hand luggage obviously!) as they are rarely up to much.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
firebug wrote:
raclette! Melted cheese and potatoes rarely fails to please.

Went out for a meal in Montchavin, starving after a days skiing, the wife persuaded me to try this dish. I have never been so disappointed wiht a meal. Sorry it was dull and just plain boring. rolling eyes Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gwaelod, awww what a shame! I meant for kids though, rather than adults.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
firebug wrote:
gwaelod, awww what a shame! I meant for kids though, rather than adults.

It was disappointing as being Irish, spuds and cheese in any combination should be the number one meal Toofy Grin I just think a hard days skiing sends my tastebuds towards steak and red wine snowHead

We have gone the last few years wiht Esprit and it great watching the kids eat. It is amazing what a hard days exercise and no ability to pick at anything does for their appetities. Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les gets and morzine would both be good. Plenty to do for the non skiing and a good selection of shops. Both have loads of self catered options and some are ski in/out.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NIKKIWHITE,

I stayed at Samoens about 3-4 years ago and have only been once so my memory may be faulty, but from memory:

The skiing area of Samoens and Morillon are all part of the Grand Massif area and connect up. Morillon is a small village a few ?3 miles along the road from Samoens. It used to be the main access into the Grand Massif area from Samoens and there was a frequent bus service between the two. A new gondola has been built just outside Samoens and how this has affected the bus service I am not sure, when I went it was still operating and the gondola had just been built.

I think that the appartment in your link is in a purposde built satellite village of Morillon above the original village. From memory it is reasonable attractive as these things go but not really a great place to walk around for a non skier, I only skied through it rather than staying there though. I would guess there may be a convenience store but not a lot else in the purpose built bit and a few shops at Morillon itself. As a place to walk around the shops Samoens would be delightful to get there I think your mother may have to take a lift down and then a bus but am not sure. If you give the tourist office a ring they are often very useful on this type of thing.

As far as the area goes it is fairly low lying , the Flaine part of the area is higher and has I believe an excellent snow record. We had great snow in our early February visit as did friends who went the same year in January but I would guess that there is a risk of needing mainly artificial in the lower parts if the winter is warm or dry. The skiing is really pleasant with plenty of good blues and reds with mainly sheltered tree lined bits for the children.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree about raclette, gwaelod: once every other year is quite enough. But tartiflette - I can't have too many times!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gwaelod, snowball, how can you ? If it's served with nice cured meats and pickles it's the most wonderful rustic mountain food, if a little heavy !

We look forward to our annual raclette holiday, with the occasional bit of skiing thrown in. Have even started bringing raclette kase home with us, gosh are we the only ones ? Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
boredsurfin, you are a weirdo. Shocked

ROFLMAO ! ( But surely there are 8,000 of us here).

People always ask us what we want brought out to France ... rolling eyes Most usual things we are asked to take to the UK:- Real Coffee, Various cheeses, Rosay wine (an area thing) and Jameson Whiskey!
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Wengen is a lovely place for a non skier - sunny, traffic free, fantastic views, even from the village. She can go up the mountain in the cog railway to Kleine Scheidegg and, if she wishes, on to Grindlewald (or further up through the Eiger - stopping to look through a window in the north face - to the highest glacier at the very top). Or she can go the other way, down then up to Murren and the famous revolving restaurant, or up the cable car to watch the skiers set out from the top of the Manlichen.
But perhaps it isn't snow-sure enough (though the village is high above the valley), and Austrian resorts don't go in for self-catering much (anyone know?).

Add Interlaken, very nice little city, which is about half an hour away by train from Wengen. If the mom wants to do all of the above, probably the cheapest option is to also buy her a full-fledged Jungfrau area skipass (which includes all means of travel in both the lutchine valleys all the way to interlaken and grindelwald.
ski holidays
Lizzard, and a nice bit of stilton wink Laughing
ski holidays
boredsurfin, I will forgive you the Stilton, king of blue cheeses.
ski holidays
masmith, I must say that reading back she does sound good.. I must remember this when she is driving me insane!

ski-finder, What a good idea!! brilliant!
Re Babysitting Alas not much in the evening .. Her idea of perfect would be sending the men out for a beer after dinner whilst I helped her do the dishes and make sandwiches for the next day…. (Never goin to happen!! wink )
latest report
Quote:
Her idea of perfect would be sending the men out for a beer after dinner whilst I helped her do the dishes and make sandwiches for the next day…

Sounding better ... if you have a spare room let me know, I'll bring my 2 kids along, ski all day, drink all night, and my wife can stay at home and decorate the hall !
latest report
Well I have never used google maps and searched so many sites so much in 24 hours.. I thank everyone for taking the time to make suggestions. I will look into everyone of them and let you know how we get on.

T Bar, A very helpful review. Thank you.
snow report
NIKKIWHITE, have you thought of psychiatric intensive care for your mother?
snow conditions
masmith wrote:
Quote:
Her idea of perfect would be sending the men out for a beer after dinner whilst I helped her do the dishes and make sandwiches for the next day…

Sounding better ... if you have a spare room let me know, I'll bring my 2 kids along, ski all day, drink all night, and my wife can stay at home and decorate the hall !

Now you see my mum would never decorate... that's Mens work!!
latest report
NIKKIWHITE wrote:
Now you see my mum would never decorate... that's Mens work!!

Yes, must admit I got a bit carried away. Still, the carpets could do with a good clean, there's a backlog of ironing and my socks need darning, so if that room's still available ...
latest report
NIKKIWHITE, As the daughter of a non skiing mum, i've had a bit of experience. We've been to Arinsal (twice-good for kids and beginners and a nice village), La Plagne and Courchevel - she hasn't skied in any of them except an afternoon in La Plagne. She just likes to wonder round, settle on sun terraces, read her book and drink Vin Chaud. In Arinsal there were some good shops ( easy to get into Andorra La Vella) and some lovely spas, or she would come up the gondola, sit read and drink hot chocolate, we'd all meet for lunch and then again at about 3/4 in the afternoon.

Dont panic too much about loads to do in resort, sounds like she'll have her work cut out cooking and getting over to meet you lot! Have a great time!
snow report
Quote:
Add Interlaken, very nice little city, which is about half an hour away by train from Wengen.

Interlaken is a long hike to pick up kids from ski school - Wengen a much better bet, I would think. Interlaken is a long way from the action (and well below the likely snow line).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy