Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB Forum latest topic ..... it all begins to make sense

Poster: A snowHead
On the rocks wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

WTF? no wonder SCGB banned you, get a life
You'll get used to his humour. (There are often better examples than this.)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the rocks wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

WTF? no wonder SCGB banned you, get a life

Look, I don't mind you taking that attitude at all, but the role of clubs isn't necessarily to ban people. [and, yes, if only I had a life]

If you look at the history of the Ski Club of GB (at least two books have been written, by Arnie Wilson and Rob Tillard) you'll see that there was an early stage when commercial members were banned. Interestingly, this included the Lunn family (since they were pioneer tour operators) ... but the son of Henry Lunn, Arnold Lunn, went on to become one of the most revered people in the history of skiing, and became the Club's president!

If that isn't a lesson from history, I don't know what is. And we also know that Clubs Mean Rules. !

One of admin's strengths is a deep reluctance to ban people (which used to be called 'blackballing' in the old days of London clubs).

Best wishes

David
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Groucho Marx had it right.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Krakatoa?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, east of Java
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a volcano which exploded
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:
Boredsurfing, west of Java

Fixed it for you... wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the earth is round, so technically you could go either way Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink, OK, yes, the big part of Java is to the east of Krakatoa but the very western tip of Java is to the west of Krakatoa. They clearly got the film title wrong tho'.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:
Groucho Marx had it right.

What, you mean there aint no such thing as Sanity Clause ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Talking of clauses (yes, Santa's), the new rules of the SCGB chat forum are interesting and quite original ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/guidelines.aspx#.UM7cAKx7TTo

For example ...

Quote:
Take care not to dominate the forum. Only post as frequently as others do. The limit for each member is 4% of the total post count within any 24 hour period. Exceed this limit and will be contacted in regards to your over usage.

Because I'm banned from the members-only sections of the forum, it's not been possible to count the total number of posts on the forum over the past 24 hours. If anyone else (i.e. a non-banned member of the Club) is able to do this, it would be interesting to know the correct total. People visible to non-members who have posted in the past day are Ian Christie, Keith Gissing, David Talbot, Paul McCarthy and John Smith (i.e. 5 persons)

It may be the case that all these 5 posters have breached the rule above, but it would need the full analysis.

To be on the safe side, I've thought of recruiting a minimum of 25 other people who are willing to make one post on the forum over the next 24 hours, with me doing the same. This might, however, leave me open to an accusation of conspiracy. Any views on this?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You cannot resuscitate a dead parrot or in this case a Forum Sad
DG give up now before it envelops you. Stick to Comedy on snowHeads which is appreciated by a much wider and cosmopolitan audience.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I disagree with you. Frankenstein did it in 1816, he didn't have the benefit of 21st century electronics, and it didn't involve a parrot.

This dead thread was resuscitated by Smokin Joe. It was dead from 21 Feb 2004 to 15 Dec 2012. What more proof do you need?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith, so you could do a small number of really really long "War & Peace style" posts and be within the rules? Or is there a rule about post length too?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comedy Goldsmith,
Quote:

I disagree with you.

This dead thread was resuscitated by Smokin Joe. It was dead from 21 Feb 2004 to 15 Dec 2012. What more proof do you need?

Ah but, this forum is not deceased
latest report
Ski Club of GB seem to have just revamped their website (yet again). But, having opened the forum to non-members, I challenge you to find it on there!
snow conditions
A further development this a.m. The SCGB website has had a massive makeover. But I got a call this morning from someone I can only describe as an 'Aviemoron' who can't find the chat section. He'd spent 30 mins in vain, looking through all the headings etc.

In this situation it's always best to consult what internet boffins call the 'piste map' ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/sitemap/default.aspx#.UM7zl6x7TTo
ski holidays
Swiller, as you can see (we clearly cross-posted), you're the second person I've encountered this morning who has made similar remarks. The site map is your friend.
ski holidays
Quote:

an 'Aviemoron'

that wasn't me
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Swiller, as you can see (we clearly cross-posted), you're the second person I've encountered this morning who has made similar remarks. The site map is your friend.

Which neatly illustrates what an Internet dinosaur you are. The general aim of a website is not to make people think... everything should be easy to find and customer journey intuitive. You certainly shouldn't need to go to the site map to find what you are looking for. Looks to me like they have deliberately hidden it away.
ski holidays
Fair point. Maybe 'Ski Chat of Great Britain' is what you're looking for. Get it upfront and obvious, and then the chattering classes will overwhelm the ruling classes.

Without wishing to get political (god forbid) I think it was this perceived threat that led to the lock-out in Feb 2004. The idea that a club can be a product of its members discussing things ... giving each other advice ... getting together ... organising holidays for each other ... and in every way mutually supporting each other ... and giving The Committee a more background role ... would seem to be a sensible 21st-century web-based solution!
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I met an SCGB rep in Jackson - he was trying to get into the knickers of a Crystal rep, is this what you guys pay for?

I didn't think this normally required an exchange of funds ?
snow conditions
dsoutar, as a Ski Club of GB member, of course I don't pay for knickers or for anyone to get into anyone else's knickers.

Since Wear The Fox Hat is an old friend of mine I'll take his observations at face value (though one wonders if he really saw what he claims to have seen - who was actually present in this changing cubicle?). If the SCGB rep had a waist measurement compatible with the Crystal rep, then I can't see there was a problem.

As to who was male and who was female, or whether they were both the same gender ... this is the 21st century and I'm just a SCGB member. Thank you for the knicker report, though. 'Best knickers on upper slopes'.
snow report
Ah Comedy Goldsmith, you've fallen into the old SCGB reps' trap of filing an 'off-the shelf' report without checking it matches actual conditions.
I think you'll find the best knickers are usually found at the lower end of the domain.
snow conditions
admin, That would be in the foothills of the Pyrenees also known as the pyrenankles
snow conditions
Guys, can you keep this brief
snow report
Maybe he just wanted to thin a thong?
snow report
dsoutar wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I met an SCGB rep in Jackson - he was trying to get into the knickers of a Crystal rep, is this what you guys pay for?

I didn't think this normally required an exchange of funds ?

Nope, but fluids certainly...at some point Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Fair point. Maybe 'Ski Chat of Great Britain'

Ski Chattering of Great Britain, though, might be something one would wish to eradicate...
latest report
Ha Ha, looks like my login got deleted! Laughing
snow conditions
Winterhighland, you are too far away from Wimbledon.
latest report
To be fair Smokin Joe, distance from the club house has very little bearing on suitability for membership: after all, some of the chaps rarely ever leave Switzerland. No, it's most likely because this highland chappie's from the North.
ski holidays
If he was Winter-Highland he would have survived the cull.
snow conditions
Taking a further look at the new SCGB chat rules [Clubs Mean Rules] ...

Quote:
Duplicate IDs for the sake of posting a joke or a troll are not permitted.

This is to be applauded.
Peter Sellers, in the movie Dr Strangelove, played not only the Doctor himself but President Merkin Muffley and Group Captain Lionel Mandrake. I was astonished that he was given permission for this.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Taking a further look at the new SCGB chat rules [Clubs Mean Rules] ...

Quote:
Duplicate IDs for the sake of posting a joke or a troll are not permitted.

This is to be applauded.
Peter Sellers, in the movie Dr Strangelove, played not only the Doctor himself but President Merkin Muffley and Group Captain Lionel Mandrake. I was astonished that he was given permission for this.

From the man who has eleventyfour logins on here...... Laughing
latest report
Quote:
From the man who has eleventyfour logins on here.....
but was once a spirited advocate of real names only. wink
snow conditions
Dubaian wrote:
Quote:
From the man who has eleventyfour logins on here.....
but was once a spirited advocate of real names only. wink

I'm also a spirited advocate of real ale, and an aled advocate of real spirits
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, nice one. Mine's a pint.... wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy