Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Sports Cover

Poster: A snowHead
snowskisnow, I agree about the need for Carre Neige in France - though that is really a separate matter from admin's query.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin, Elizabeth B, Fogg seemed the best to me and they were very clear about what is and isn't covered.

In addition to off piste they were very clear about what they would pay out if you have your (or hire) skis stolen.

I have always felt the Carte neige pointless if you have good insurance. For instance Fogg is very clear that they cover rescue and repatriation. Am i missing something?

Also if anyone is thinking about doing a BASI course check your fine print as most insurers are for "holiday" only and courses are considered "professional" skiing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
.......I have always felt the Carte neige pointless if you have good insurance. For instance Fogg is very clear that they cover rescue and repatriation. Am i missing something?......

Yes. See the other thread.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 16-10-07 10:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have annual multi-trip insurance as a 'free' add-on to household insurance with The Woolwich (now Barclays). This includes ski cover, although I haven't checked the detail of unguided off-piste etc.

My experience with them last year when my son broke his leg was generally very good, and their repatriation team were extremely helpful arranging ambulance transfers etc (which they paid for directly).

The only thing that seemed a little unreasonable - so would add to my wish list for 'perfect' ski insurance is that while they paid for loss of my son's ski rental / lift pass, they wouldn't pay for mine, even though I could prove I had returned skis etc the day of his accident. In my view, if one parent is travelling with one child of 7 and the child is injured, that pretty clearly terminates the parent's skiing as well. So, perfect insurance should cover losses incurred in the course of looking after another member of the insured party.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PaulClark, i have barclays travel insurance (wife is staff) but also carry Fogg as Barclays doesnt cover un guided off piste....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Off piste skiing Act reasonably and not ski in closed/avalanche risk area. If not skiing with
guide/instructor, always check are is suitable to skier at your level. Not to
ignore, warning signs/advices. Fogg

Surely this is a massive get-out clause? Any european off-piste is in an avalanche risk area, and the resorts always have warning flags and risk scales showing non-zero risk. Has anyone using Fogg successfully claimed while skiing off-piste without a guide, in say risk 3 or 4 conditions?

BMC is still the gold standard for anyone serious, going more than 2 weeks per year. Having said that, 2 of my weeks this year are in the US where in-bounds avalanche risk is as close to zero as it'll ever be, so I'll probably take my chances with a cheaper policy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plake, BMC may be the Gold standard, but it also costs a lot. I agree that if you are needing cover for mountaineering then it is the best option, but for your average skier it seems OTT.

I can't say I've ever claimed for off piste skiing without a guide at risk 3 or 4....because I wouldn't ski those conditions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of folks giving + to Fogg. Does anyone recall that Fogg use (or used to use) the same underwriter that refused to pay out when 2 seasonnaire's were killed in Tignes. Your insurer does not pay out, it's the underwriter. I also seem to recall that it was an Irish company, so not subject to UK regulation.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/08/17/ninsurers17.xml
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jonesj71, Be very careful please unless you are 100% sure of your facts in the post above.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That reads like a threat. Do you work for, or advertise for the company?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonesj71, Sorry if you read it like that, I was mindful of this site's reputation and the need to stay legal Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 16-10-07 11:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I appreciate your concern. Perhaps you could also give advice to PisteHors as well. Especially considering the 3rd paragraph on the page in this link.

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/mountain-of-debt-for-tignes-avalanche-families/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jonesj71, Fair point Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has anyone used the BMC insurance while race training ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
david@mediacopy wrote:

What is the definition of race training from an insurance point of view?
ski holidays
rob@rar, Fogg covers dry slope and glacier race training skiing but excludes competitions
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
I have heard Dog Tag is very good and has had some good reviews on sH's in the past but Fogg has a clearer and less ambiguous Off piste definition.

Neither off proper off piste cover, if you read the schedule.

Here's what I recommend

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Articles/Off-Piste-Insurance

either, as some have said, BMC, Ski Club or Snowcard do the trick - the page is a Wiki so I will have to double check some of the companies that have been added. Most UK insurers don't provide adequate cover for off-piste.
snow report
Well I'm certainly going to buy snowHeads insurance if it covers all of the above Laughing Very Happy
ski holidays
david@mediacopy wrote:

I know Masters racers that use it for training and racing.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, Fogg covers dry slope and glacier race training skiing but excludes competitions

They also provide a policy for SSGB that includes FIS races.
snow conditions
I think that we had a thread on this a while ago, and someone who works in the industry summed it up as, you can either have good cover, or cheap cover, but not both.

I use the Ski Club insurance myself.
snow report
Kramer, That's why Admin Ski insurance is going to be unique, it will be both, hopefully........ Toofy Grin
snow conditions
if from the eu and sking in the eu, a e111 card (european health cover card)is very useful and costs 0 to get, badly sprained my ankle when sking early this year, OK, I LIE. i was on a sking trip and during a ruf night out at about 5ocl in the morning in a sort of strip club i managed to do my ankle and was shipped off to the hospital the next morning. receptionist asked if i had the e111 card and she was surprised i didnt. she said it would have made things much easier if i had one. it cost me 300 eu on the spot (worth every penny for the good service) which i claimed back from the insurance when i got home but it did not cover the first 60 eu, where as if i had the card i would have paid 0!!not a cent!!+ with no paperwork either. i had no insurance or card cover for the painful embarresment do!
snow report
creedgearoid, the E111 is no longer valid. You have to have it's replacement, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Does the same thing though...and as you say, well worth having. As well as the EU, it is valid in Switzerland.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:

UPDATE, i just called to renew my policy and was told fogg Does not cover race training of any kind!!

I went for Direct Travel in the end. They cover racing and race training (Non FIS races), off piste w/o guides, ski instructor courses less than 2 weeks in duration and ski touring.

Eliminating personal money and possessions cover the cost for an annual multi trip ski package was £38 !!!
snow report
Personally, I can do without all the 'extras' that just clutter up the policy reading.... I don't want crapo like piste closure or valuables or cancellation..just the medical and Evac with no postering about what is covered.

I have used Snowcard and seem satified with their rates and their cover..never had to call on it tho'.. and I like BMC.

I generally use an annual for the normal stuff and top it up with Snowcard, Carre Niege or that countries local basic 'get you into hospital' deal with the lift pass......if applicable.

You do indeed need a recognised method that the rescuers can easily deal with, IMV..no questions asked.

I am not sure a Snowheads policy would fit all...just reading all the above..
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
homphomp, I have 17 day limit with Lloyds. I confirmed with them last week that it means skiing days not trip days, so when I only skied for 3 days out of a 7 day trip to Canada it only counts as 3 days of my ski day limit, so 3 days in Canada, 6 at the EoSB, 5 for PSB and 3 for atomic boot camp is (happily) 17 days.

Yes, that's what they told me too but only if we are on an organised ski package tour holiday abroad or prebooked accomodation for 3 days or more when skiing in the UK. I presume so that it can be checked up on. How would they know otherwise how many days out of 17 in the year we have skiied if we went skiing independenly Which i got the strong impression that they would wriggle out of paying up on a claim.
One of the reasons i went for a Lloyds TSB platinum account was the holiday insurance that is part of the perks. We were offered a 30 ski days per year upgrade cover for about £65.
We like the flexibility of independent ski holidays which booking our own itinarary on the internet gives us. Insurance companys want us to be accountable package holiday fodder it seems. rolling eyes

Is there a company that meets our needs?

Rob & Gill

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 2-11-07 7:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Is there a clause in any of the policy small print out there that makes cover null and void if there is any degree of alcohol in the claimant at the time of accident Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cc_7up wrote:
Is there a clause in any of the policy small print out there that makes cover null and void if there is any degree of alcohol in the claimant at the time of accident Puzzled

From my Dogtag Policy, General exception 9: We shall not be liable for "Claims arising directly or indirectly from the influence or abuse of intoxicating liquor or of a drug or drugs (unless prescribed by a registered medical practitioner)....".

I would expect other policies to have a similar exception.

Whilst on subject of Dogtag, I am finding their claim service to be a nightmare. I submitted a claim for cancellation of a holiday on 05th October, with all supporting documents specifically requested. Having chased claim I received an email on 31/10 just saying they had sent me a letter regarding the claim. Today I received the letter telling me that they could not process my claim until I sent them my original insurance certificate. I phoned them to point out 1) they represent the insurers, surely they can confirm that my insurance is valid without me needing to send in certificate, and 2) why the original certificate, could they not accept an emailed copy, and 3) as I was travelling soon I was reluctant to send off the original, particularly as it takes them a month to deal with their post!! Mad

The robot dealing with the claim could only say that it is their policy to have an original certificate, and would not budge from that, obviously couldn't care less and actually said it was up to me, if I didn't send in the original they wouldn't deal with claim. I insisted speaking to a supervisor and she agreed to accept an emailed copy "on this occasion".

On this experience I definitely will not be renewing my Dogtag policy.
latest report
Insureandgo for regular on and off piste skiers, 17 or 24 ski days, but if racing / training you have to tell them and pay a bit more

Policy allows for a helicopter mountain rescue if deemed a medical requirement

£80 for Family cover (worldwide) for the year

I've never claimed from them so can't comment on their service. Anyone have any experience of them?
latest report
I broke my leg badly last season in North America and needed surgery to insert a 40cm long metal rod inside the shin bone. I was insured with InsureandGo. They did pay all the claim, but it was a bit slow, including numerous phone calls to their US agents. I suspect that it would be a similar situation with many other insurers and so I would use them again.

As important as who you insure with is that you always have your insurance details and a credit card with a limit of at least £5000 with you at all times, as well as the phone number of where you are staying. If you’re with a package tour operator, don’t expect their reps to be of any use.

All told it cost the insurer over £10,000, but I had to pay about a quarter of this up front, most of it before I was allowed to leave the hospital. This was because the surgeon is independent of the hospital and would only take payment by credit card.
Like PaulClark, I got a refund for curtailment of my holiday, but my wife didn't, even though it effectively stopped her skiing too.
snow conditions
Another Annual travel Inurance query, will the cost of my annual ski pass be covered if I lose it?
snow conditions
I had Paradiski season pass last year. I was told to keep receipt. If lost ski pass, they would cancel ski pass and issue new one. I know doesn't answer your specific question, but may help.
snow report
boredsurfin, if you ski at a resort that made it into the 21 century then you can cancel and get it re-issued....you just need the number on the electronic card.
ski holidays
Just to add my £0.02 about Dog Tag who were mentioned right at the beginning fo this post. I was insured through them 2 years ago and they refused to pay out when my wife had her barnd-spanking-news Salomon Streetracers pinched in Austria. We followed their instructions to the letter (even missing a days skiing to travel to Solden for a police report) and they still stiffed us. May not be the case for all but I will never, ever use them again.
ski holidays
Is admin going anywhere with this? I have just had my snowcard renewal reminder through the post/
ski holidays
Should have news for you within a week achilles.
snow report
admin, Ta. Cool
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
boredsurfin, if you ski at a resort that made it into the 21 century then you can cancel and get it re-issued....you just need the number on the electronic card.

Silly me, of course Laughing
ski holidays
SNOWSKISNOW,
what happens with the Carre neige ? do they just take your insurance details rather than demand imediate payment ?

ALL,
anyone know of successful claims using Direct Travel ? esp following say a broken leg ? or their off-piste cover ?

Gareth.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy