Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Much Gear is Needed for an Extended Ski Trip?

Poster: A snowHead
As if you didn't already know, in 37 days time I will be commencing a month-long trip to Banff. What I need to know is how much gear would be needed for this, i.e. would I need to travel like Noah's Ark with a least two of everything with me or would two pairs of ski pants, for example, be too much and unnecessary?

What do you guys/gals think? What do you bring with you for extended stays?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thewahwah,
Ideally I would probably take a second pair of socks and pants but I'm a bit choosy about personal hygiene.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1 pair of pants, jacket. Maybe a down jacket for evenings and emergencies.

2 lots of mid & base layers
A few pairs of socks'
Spare gloves/googles

Save room for packing your hardware.

You can always buy more kit there if you split your pants etc
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've not done an extended trip like that but I'd assume you'd need no more than for a weeklong trip, as long as you've got access to washing/drying facilities.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thewahwah, there are a few folk round here with laminated ski trip packing check lists. Hopefully one will be along soon Toofy Grin

Banff has plenty of ski stores if you forget stuff. And a launderette, as does Lake Louise. At LL once I chucked a wash on, asked the fella next to me to bung it in the dryer once it was done, drove to the ski area, skiied for a bit and came back to clean gear.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar wrote:
thewahwah,
Ideally I would probably take a second pair of socks and pants but I'm a bit choosy about personal hygiene.

Laughing. Loving it. The kind of response I was expecting. Smile

fatbob wrote:
1 pair of pants, jacket. Maybe a down jacket for evenings and emergencies.

2 lots of mid & base layers
A few pairs of socks'
Spare gloves/googles

Save room for packing your hardware.

You can always buy more kit there if you split your pants etc

Have gone mental on the baselayers and will be bringing 3 lots. As far as the ski pants go, I was concerned that after a couple of weeks of exerting myself in them that they would start to take on a 'fragrance' spoo and may need washed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:
At LL once I chucked a wash on, asked the fella next to me to bung it in the dryer once it was done, drove to the ski area, skiied for a bit and came back to clean gear.

That's the Canadian atmosphere for you. If you said that in the UK to someone, god knows what would have happened.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd take a 4 day cycle of clean everything, and 2 jackets and 2 ski pants...... ie 2 complete ski outfits
It works out the an 80 lts bag with my ski boots inside takes that and a small day pack over the shoulder ( for hand luagge ) is all I need to carry.

I travel like that all the time now and it means I wash most stuff like pants and socks in the room so it hardly makes any difference after 4 days how long you go for.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, 4 day cycle, good thinking. I worked on a 7 day cycle for inter-railing (many years ago) but then again I wasn't lugging ski boots around. I might extend it to a 5 day cycle just to reduce the number of wash days a little. I was also thinking two complete outfits might be needed. Basically it's going to come down to weight. 20kgs is my limit for the BMI leg of my journey. Also, I'll be bringing Xmas presents back with me (spoiler: everyone will be getting Roots gear) so I'll need to factor that in too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From a gals point of view, this is what Id be likely to take for a month Very Happy

30 pairs of ski trousers
30 matching ski jackets
60 pairs of shoes/boots (so I can change my mind twice a day)
1/2 of M&S lingerie section - all matching of course
30 evening outfits with matching handbags/jewellry etc

Shall I go on?? No thought not! Confused

Just jealous youre off on your hols for a month! Have a great trip though wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
katiebeagle, Laughing
katiebeagle wrote:
From a gals point of view, this is what Id be likely to take for a month Very Happy

Phwoar crikey. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
katiebeagle wrote:
30 pairs of ski trousers
30 matching ski jackets

I can tell you she aint joking! Shocked

You should see the amount of stuff she's preparing for 2 weeks in Seefeld Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thewahwah, before you get excited, she didn't say which half of the lingerie section. Could be the bit with the huge pants and 'control' tights.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
katiebeagle wrote:

30 pairs of ski trousers
30 matching ski jackets
Shall I go on?? No thought not! Confused
Just jealous youre off on your hols for a month! Have a great trip though wink

You obviously dont fly EasyJet or Ryanair Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
thewahwah, before you get excited, she didn't say which half of the lingerie section. Could be the bit with the huge pants and 'control' tights.

Have you been peeking? Shocked

Linds wrote:

You obviously dont fly EasyJet or Ryanair Shocked Laughing

No, they'd just lose it all Razz
snow report
This keeps bothering me - am I the only one that has trouble with describing anything other than my boxers or similar undergarments as 'pants' ?! Confused
(I've got a ski jacket, and a pair of salopettes)
snow report
thewahwah wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
At LL once I chucked a wash on, asked the fella next to me to bung it in the dryer once it was done, drove to the ski area, skiied for a bit and came back to clean gear.

That's the Canadian atmosphere for you. If you said that in the UK to someone, god knows what would have happened.

Really?

It's north American vs. Europe then?

I do that often enough traveling around, although usually due to someone else was using the machine I want to use. I sometimes just left the coin on the machine and a load of clothing. Whoever got done with their laundry had ALWAYS been nice enough to throw mine in there, fed the coin into the machine and push the staart button...

I always figure the worst was I lost the money. Never occur to me what might happen to my clothes... Shocked

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 14-10-07 16:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
As for what to take on a trip, I always end up with two jackets, one heavy one light. You never know what the weather will be like anyway.

Paired with different weight middle layer, you have about 4 sets of outfits covering from spring to artic conditions! Wink

But only one goggle and one pair of mitten. Wait, I also have sunglasses. And a pair of light weight gloves for walking around the resort, which can be pressed into service if I lost my ski mittens. So I do have TWO sets of everything! Just not two of the same.

Hat and helmet, wide ski and narrow ski, the list goes on...

But there's no way I'll carry two pairs of boots (I only own one pair of boots)!
latest report
thewahwah wrote:
What do you bring with you for extended stays?

Four days' gear and presents for whomever I'm staying with:= one 150l bag.
snow report
'Fraid I always take 2 jackets and 2 ski trousers: the first time we went to Courchevel it rained and I discovered the hard way that my then jacket was snow proof but not rain proof and it wasn't much fun having to put it on to go out in the evening.... I also never forget an acquaintance of ours ripping her ski trousers on a T-bar (!) and since I find trousers that fit extremely difficult to find, I don't want to risk the consequences of sth like that!
latest report
eng_ch, see, I always assume that those clever locals have had the foresight to build "shops" for such eventualities. And there's always duct tape for running repairs. I say travel light and buy if needs be... thing is, you never need to and still come back with unworn gear. These days, with smoking bans all over the place, your evening clothes don't get to stink as much as they used to either. It's the "just-in-case" syndrome that causes airport congestion and helps lead to all those entertaining excess baggage arguments you see.
snow conditions
thewahwah, why is your BMI leg only 20kg, did you book the tickets separately? If going BMi to Heathrow, and then Air Canada, your allowance should be the higher of the two. Or it was when we did it.
latest report
For an entire season I have:

Skis/board, boots and gloves for both
1 x shell jacket
1 x windstop fleece jacket
1 x shell trousers
1 x board pants
2 x thermal underwear
1 x thin fleece
1 x thicker fleece
2 x fleecy neck thingy
2 x beanies
3 x socks
1 x helmet
1 x goggles
1 x washing machine

If I was only going away for a month I'd leave behind the ski stuff, windstop fleece, one pair trousers, the thick fleece, one each of beanie and neck warmer, and the washing machine.
ski holidays
You can't have enough pants
snow report
johnboy, real men go commando. Laughing
ski holidays
It's just a practical idea, but long with the duck tape if I was going for that long I'd take a couple of strong needles and a reel of strong thread just to cope with the unexpected.

B.t.w. Of course I'm not the teensiest weeniest bit jealous that you are going skiing for that long Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
eng_ch, see, I always assume that those clever locals have had the foresight to build "shops" for such eventualities.

These would be the "shops" that only stock trousers for American teenagers with no waist, right? Took me a year to find the last pair of trews that fit rolling eyes
ski holidays
I used to take my own ski servicing gear (including travelling iron for waxing) but so many hotels now don't have anywhere to do it and if you also take backpack, transciever, skins, harscheisen, shovel, probe, first aid kit, water bottle (and in my case a hip flask of Lagavulin) not to mention touring binding converters before I had proper touring bindings - it takes up a large part of the weight allowance on Ryanair.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 15-10-07 11:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
before you get excited, she didn't say which half of the lingerie section. Could be the bit with the huge pants and 'control' tights.

Ardour well dampened. Sad

eng_ch wrote:
the first time we went to Courchevel it rained and I discovered the hard way that my then jacket was snow proof but not rain proof

No problems there - i'm gore-texed to the max. wink

Bode Swiller, it's not so much a "just-in-case" attitude, it's more like "bug9er, I have that at home already and now I have to shell out eleventeen hundred quid to buy it again and have two" Evil or Very Mad.

Helen Beaumont, yep I booked my tickets separately. Air Canada were going to charge £80 for my skis so in comparison to BA, who let them go free, it was no contest.

abc, in N. America it's a 'can do' attitude, in certain parts of Europe it's a 'f**k you' attitude. I was considering bringing a light jacket but it's Banff, so it's going to be cold or bloody freezing Skullie. In which case i'm going to need an insulated jacket and a duvet Shocked.

Megamum, wouldn't know what to do with a needle and thread Smile. I'm only going for that long to cheer myself up as Mrs TheWahWah and I are separating Sad.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
I used to take my own ski servicing gear (including travelling iron for waxing) but so many hotels now don't have anywhere to do it and if you also take backpack, transciever, skins, harscheisen, shovel, probe, first aid kit, water bottle (and in my case a hip flask of Lagavulin) not to mention touring binding converters before I had proper touring bindings - it takes up a large part of the weight allowance on Ryanair.

snowball I put all that stuff, apart from the transceiver which goes in my carry on, in the ski bag along with harness and associated toys. Normally comes to about 13kg in total - although that's probably helped by the fact that I had lightish skis (Legend 8000s) and Freeride bindings. Backback is my carry on, containing boots and transceiver. Wear first day's ski gear to avoid anything non-hirable getting lost by the baggage handlers. Spare set of midlayer ski gear (which may also double as civvy), couple of changes of scruns and one set of civvies in main pack doesn't come to much - normally around 11kg - although that bulks up a bit now I normally take body armour too.

That would do me for a longish week's trip. For an extended trip I'd probably put in a casual jacket and some extra shirts to stave of sartorial boredom and that'd be it. Wear one set of ski gear while the other is drying - or have technical stuff that dries really quickly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy