Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most over-hyped run?

Poster: A snowHead
jedster, leaping back a few days, I didn't imply Tortin was steep, just over-hyped. At least it was in late '80's - early'90's....

Alexandra, you're either my type of girl, insane, or all three
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch wrote:

Alexandra, you're either my type of girl, insane, or all three

haha nail on the head! Laughing Although usually gung-ho + insanity has the opposite effect on men! Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alexandra, I thought I'd do it, even if I didn't expect to make it. I took a long look and chickened out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alexandra, your forgetting my illustrious employer is BANNING me from doing any kind of extreme sport in which they include hiking rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

so the only option is injury free survival or Skullie
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Two more over-hyped runs................

classic Vallee Blanche..... which is a path for most of the way albeit through fabulous and outstanding scenery which many will not get close to otherwise. But as for the skiiing..?? a good side slip will do for most of it. Far better to do the variants above left which if you do them unguided then you will find some VERY interesting bits, like 10mtr ice chutes/drops..

Monterosa... very long and therefore almost by definition not steep..the most taxing bit will be trying to make ground on the hordes hung up on the dam section above Zermatt. It is long though and you will know you have done some work. 65 kms, IIRC.

That said, I'd go back to both places like a shot and try to get some different routes down.
And again, if the weather/snow is kind then no problem..if not, then a whole new ballgame.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, never done the VB. I don't care if it's over-hyped - I want to have the right to say it, too!

Hmm. Maybe Chanmonix on my March 29 week?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah, okay I was wrong, it is totally overhyped

http://youtube.com/v/3zwUBMrRbSo
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I expect I'll be doing Corbett's early Feb.

Not really through choice, but I'm betting everyone else in my group will throw me down it unless I drop in willingly. Shocked

Being a snowboarder I fancy the slide down until one's fingertips lose grip (as per the earlier video post).

At least it looks like an easy and safe chute but for the drop in, rather than one of those endless, Chugach, 45 degree, narrow, straight-line couloirs. Sad

Any other snowboarders got advice on best entry technique?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd hate to do corbetts on a snowboard.

Saying that, I'd hate to do anything on a snowboard. Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Any other snowboarders got advice on best entry technique?

I am told by the lady wife that it always helps to find the "correct" hole... Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch wrote:
I am told by the lady wife that it always helps to find the "correct" hole... Twisted Evil

Jackson's Hole?

Mmm... perhaps that can be taken the wrong way.

As I said, I'd not really be inclined to do this without considerable pressure from my fellow intrepid skiers who regard me with withering tolerance. rolling eyes

It would be difficult to watch them all drop down the chute and tell them I'll get the chair down to see them at the bottom.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's always Harakiri in Mayrhofen, which is 78 degrees and marked as a black piste - but with warning signs!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ousekjarr, but it is 78% not 78 degrees I believe?? and 78 % is nearer 40 degrees. Nice argument about it in the last ski club mag.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
78 degrees would be stupid, unskiable pretty much.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tell that to the extreme skiers Very Happy
ski holidays
ousekjarr, did it a week ago when it was in what I'd guess is good conditions ie a bit icy, nothing very special, there's a steep bit but the whole run is very short and there's a safe run out, whole thing over in seconds. I'd guess it's always a bit icy and could imagine it being a bit trickier if large tracts were sheet ice but most runs would be.
snow report
Have a look at the promo video - http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/de/100196/100481/harakiri_spot_mayrhofen_steilste_piste_osterreichs.html?S=#

And yes, it is 78% - my mistake, and its a common one - but I'm not sure whether your 40 degrees is correct either, as it is much more than that. My understanding is that 78% is 78% of vertical, so 78% of 90 degrees, i.e. 70 degrees. And believe me, that is skiable. If it was 40 degrees, I've been on steeper red runs...
snow conditions
ousekjarr, Good vid though snowHead
ski holidays
ousekjarr, 100% means a 1 in 1 ie 45deg. Relatively very few people put themselves into the situation of skiing, or indeed are even capable of skiing, on slopes of 70 degrees.
ski holidays
slikedges,
I doubt there are many slopes of 70 degrees that actually hold snow.
Shocked
ski holidays
T Bar, I think you might be right - IIRC slopes much over about 45 deg usually don't avalanche 'cos they're too steep; any excess snow would come straight off rather than build up. Anyone know what the steepest angle cold dry snow can hold onto is?
snow report
Remember reading an article in a ski mag that suggested anything of 60 degrees won't hold snow, apart from in Alaska because the snow is much colder and drier. The article was about extreme skiing and featured the late Doug Coombs. It suggested that skiing anything above 50 degrees was really the preserve of pro extreme skiers. Fall Line I think, a couple of years ago
snow conditions
I dont know about over hyped, but skied Highlands Bowl the other year and that seemed quite steep. Average slope angle was between 40 and 48 degs. Smile

snow conditions
ousekjarr wrote:
My understanding is that 78% is 78% of vertical, so 78% of 90 degrees, i.e. 70 degrees. And believe me, that is skiable. If it was 40 degrees, I've been on steeper red runs...

Arf, I'll smoke what you are having.
latest report
I've done Corbets a load of times and the actual couloir is not hard. Its all about the entry. Its is an offical piste and so to have a drop of between min 10feet and max 25 feet then you can hardly call that over hyped as its certainly not a "gimme" to the majority of holiday skiers. Each year its slightly different entry. The last time I was there you HAD to jump straight off the top. The time before you could slide slip on the left hand side down about 7 feet and then hop round to the right and drop another 7 or 8 feet, then as soon as you land turn the left and off you go.

In terms of it being a piste then its on another level so I think it deserves the hype. If the entry as a simple ski in then it would not have the reputation.

Alex
snow report
ousekjarr wrote:
Have a look at the promo video - http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/de/100196/100481/harakiri_spot_mayrhofen_steilste_piste_osterreichs.html?S=#

And yes, it is 78% - my mistake, and its a common one - but I'm not sure whether your 40 degrees is correct either, as it is much more than that. My understanding is that 78% is 78% of vertical, so 78% of 90 degrees, i.e. 70 degrees. And believe me, that is skiable. If it was 40 degrees, I've been on steeper red runs...

No you haven't.

Most red runs average somewhere in the general region of 1 in 5 - that is 20%.

1 in 1 is 100% - 45 degrees, and you will not find anything that steep pisted anywhere. 78% is somewhere in the region of 40 degrees, and is very steep for a pisted run.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:

1 in 1 is 100% - 45 degrees, and you will not find anything that steep pisted anywhere. 78% is somewhere in the region of 40 degrees, and is very steep for a pisted run.

Who heard Nick Fellows make just that mistake on Channel 4 the other day? Describing part of the St Anton course as 78 degrees Very Happy
ski holidays
ise wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Who heard Nick Fellows make just that mistake on Channel 4 the other day? Describing part of the St Anton course as 78 degrees Very Happy

Heard it, was amused and appalled in equal measures, He really should know better. Still laughed out loud though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have only fleeted through the posts but Marc Giradelli in the 1970's commented that extreme slopes like these are only ever really skied by tourists (in direct reference to the absurdity of the Swiss Wall in PdS circuit). It's funny how so many people claim to have 'skied', for example, poubelle in Chamonix when, in fact, they merely got down in one piece. I cannot see what most of us can gain from skiing silly slopes like this (and I should know) except for testosterone driven one upmanship in the bar afterwards.
snow conditions
I just like coming down steep stuff with powder and not too many bumps. It's fun Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

I cannot see what most of us can gain from skiing silly slopes like this (and I should know) except for testosterone driven one upmanship in the bar afterwards.

I believe you may have just answered your own question wink
ski holidays
I'm not sure which "silly" slopes are being refered to. Most of the ones that have been talked about are 40º or less and, as long as it isn't a tight couloir, that can be skied with linked turns OK - you don't have to be an extreme skier. Even 45º is OK on an open slope, especially in nice powder. Extreme skiing starts at 50º

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 27-12-07 16:49; edited 2 times in total
latest report
It is quite easy, if you fancy it, you do it, if you don't you can take the blue run down and sometimes that is the good idea...but that is a bit difficult when you are out back somewhere and the alternative..if there is one, isn't obvious.
That is when you have to be able to dial in another method..and safe becomes the key word. Skiing 40 on a short section of piste can bring a few problems, but at least it will be ok to ski.
Different types of snow, with a few rocks about can bring on a whole new definition of scary..what was passable one day, isn't the next, but you might not know that until you see it which is too late.

I can't recall my worst time or steepest, but I've had a few and nothing prepares you more for it than doing it.
ski holidays
tetras
latest report
PS I just looked on my table of Tangents and 78% is approx 38 degrees. 40 degrees is approx 84%
The Good Ski Guide used to mention if a black run was 30º or more - which was notably and unusually steep. There weren't many.
The Swiss wall is, I would guess, a bit over 30º ? It is only difficult because of all the bumps.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 27-12-07 18:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

It's funny how so many people claim to have 'skied', for example, poubelle in Chamonix when, in fact, they merely got down in one piece.

Getting down in one piece is always uppermost in my mind and yes I would include that as a definition of skiing Laughing
snow conditions
Poubelle - um, is that the one off the bridge between the two tunnels at the top? If so I haven't skied it or got down it. Or are there 2 poubelles?
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Poubelle - um, is that the one off the bridge between the two tunnels at the top? If so I haven't skied it or got down it. Or are there 2 poubelles?
Nope...its at the top of the Bochard lift at the Grand Montets. Come out the top of the gondola and go straight on and its just there. Last year was an easy entry as quite a bit of snow up top all last year contrary to what some people may think.
ski holidays
Quote:

The Swiss wall is, I would guess, a bit over 30º ? It is only difficult because of all the bumps

Sounds about right. It's about the same as Tortin in Verbier which is 32 degrees at the top (tragically I went out in Verbier one day with a clinometer to measure some of the slopes). Skier's right of the front face of Mont Fort is the steepest piste I measured, if you go in right at the top over the fence it's 41, if you cut across the rocks and drop in a bit lower it's 38. As someone said above the angle probably isn't as important as the snow conditions, exposure, width and so on. There is some crappy helmetcam footage of me skiing Mont Fort with a mate here
http://youtube.com/v/OmPGWfuhiJQ The bit you can see when I start skiing is 38, then it drops off to about 30 half way down.
snow conditions
There's also the Poubelle on the Midi, it's on your right as you head down the ridge...Don't turn left unless you fancy the Mallory...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy