Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most over-hyped run?

Poster: A snowHead
This week the Observer treats us to another article about Corbet's Couloir:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/oct/14/skiing.usa?page=all

OK, so I've never skied it, but can it possibly be worthy of all the hype? Is it the most over-hyped ski run?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Sarenne gets rather more publicity than it deserves. Europe's longest black run! 17km!! Er.......... about 100m of black run, a lot of not more than red and two kilometres of blatantly green track back to the Auris chair. Very pretty, it has to be said, but not what you'd call challenging.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard, Cant disagree there Very Happy Just dont tell the boarders about the walk Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Arno, Never been but have read about it, the article was an interesting read tho , have been to the other two mentioned ( La Grave and St.Anton ) but not skied those runs mentioned. Wasnt good enough when in La Grave, and not enough snow in St.A.

Wouldnt mind going to JH, and not just because of Corbets, unfortunately because she has heard of Corbets my Better Half doesnt even want to go to JH and sh generally skis terrain I do Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:
This week the Observer treats us to another article about Corbet's Couloir:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/oct/14/skiing.usa?page=all

OK, so I've never skied it, but can it possibly be worthy of all the hype? Is it the most over-hyped ski run?

Dunno, never been there but I see he says Sous le Tele is 45 degrees, it isn't, it is more like 35 degrees.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, never been to Jackson Hole, but the pics are worth looking at
Don't look so bad from the top
But more scary from this view
Dropping in
So far so good
snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
45 degrees seems a bit generous for Triffides 1 too.

Sarenne is certainly hyped but the ADH tourist office would be in dreamland if it got half the column inches of Corbet's
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Didnt we have a link to a video clip of someone skiing Corbets on here a while ago Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarenne is the overhyped run that comes to my mind, too. The Tunnel - also at ADH - is a different matter. As for Corbetts, Jonpim's pictures look scary enough, I know jacksonhole is no slouch, but he lost a ski going down it. About time we dragged out the video again, Bones.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, Thats the one, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim wrote:
Arno, never been to Jackson Hole, but the pics are worth looking at
Don't look so bad from the top
But more scary from this view
Dropping in
So far so good
snowHead snowHead

It is always hard to tell from photos but it doesn't look like the kind of thing I would do from the front angles. The snow would have to be very good and I imagine it gets extremely sketchy after a couple of runs. I don't fancy a fall on hard and lumpy snow because I dropped in, lost and edge or didn't control the first turn.

Without going and actually doing or more likely... bottling it I would say that it seems to deserve a lot of the hype.

Still I'm not about to fly across the atlantic when I have stuff like this

a few minutes drive away.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 14-10-07 13:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But Jonpim, "View from the top" only shows the starting point - the couloir is out of sight!
My group are thinking of going to Jackson's hole and I'm nervous about Corbetts already. I've never been much into jumping (though I like steep slopes I like to be in control) and since I discovered last season that I only have part of my right ACL I've got an extra reason to be nervous about it. But I can't see how we could avoid it and keep our self-respect.

The back of the Valluga shouldn't be in the same list - it isn't all that steep - but an exciting start all the same (and the boost you get from all those people who came for the view watching you start down). The first time I did it I was nervous because I didn't know what I was in for, but now its just another run.

The Sarenne is just a very long, mostly very flat run with one short bit which is, I suppose, black, but not extremely so.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, now those look really tasty - where are they? Just the sort of thing I like.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball wrote:
davidof, now those look really tasty - where are they? Just the sort of thing I like.

You can see my house in the top one. They are great couloirs to ski from late December to early March in the Chartreuse and Vercors... although neither was really skiable last year to my knowledge. The bottom one with... I think Loic and a friend climbing requires a vertical abseil of about 5 meters which you could huck... like Corbetts, but you would have to be insane to do so... after that the pitch is around 40-45 degrees, excellent in good snow.

In the top couloir you can see Marie Claire - a friend. I've not skied this one but have climbed it. Again there is a 1-2 meter "huck" over a pinch point about a third of the way down and route finding is complicated to find the entrance, especially in winter.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 14-10-07 13:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big marketing machine around JH - note how a lot of the article is based on teh resort's own marketing DVD.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof,

I guess the real point is that you can fly the atlantic do stuff like that on your own and have a ski patrol waiting to scrape you up.
latest report
Sarrene was a big mistake for us...we missed so much to do it and it really is a nothing run. When I think what we could have/should have done in our limited time.... ****** !!!!!!
The only reason I mention it is because I don't take much notice of what runs are called... they are just routes to somewhere else, and for some reason, I remember the name

You have to be bit wary about what you think you will or will not do without seeing it in the flesh.... but generally you should think, yeah, I fancy that and it is never as bad as you might think.. so if you go to JH you will have to have a very good reason for not looking at it very seriously, but these things can be all down to conditions on the day, so....
latest report
Been to JH 5 times, and going again in December. One day I will do CC but haven't done so yet, it is the jump in and the first turn that are tough but after that it is fine. It is more about Nads than technique. I think I would rather do it then Alta zero.
latest report
I *think* the major thing about CC is that it's a marked run on the piste map, I don't know of any other marked run with such an entrance.

I've been there and not skied it, the one thing I noticed is you get some nice powder after the couloir, that you can't get to any other way!

There are some great skiers around Jackson, I saw a guy do a casual back flip off some cliffs under the Sublette chair!

Cheers,

Gerg

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 14-10-07 21:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
the boost you get from all those people who came for the view watching you start down).

It's always fun when your skiing greatness is finally acknowledged by others. wink Skiing lines that other people think they can't is always fun.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
snowball wrote:
the boost you get from all those people who came for the view watching you start down).

It's always fun when your skiing greatness is finally acknowledged by others. wink Skiing lines that other people think they can't is always fun.

Or that terrible sinking feeling when the cornice gives just as your about to drop and you do cartwheels down the slope before coming to a stop in an undignified heap... complete with ski area uniform on... Welcome to Jims Drop at Kirkwood! Embarassed
snow report
Bones wrote:

Wouldnt mind going to JH, and not just because of Corbets, unfortunately because she has heard of Corbets my Better Half doesnt even want to go to JH and sh generally skis terrain I do Smile

Been to Jackson twice and still never seen anyone do Corbets. First time was closed due to slick conditions, second time base was insufficient. It is intimidating standing at the top. Would be interesting to know how often it is actually open - would need to be very good conditions for me to do it anyway ...
latest report
Relating this to an earlier thread - I wonder how many people lose a ski on landing the Corbetts entry who could have skied on otherwise (what I call a pre-release though I've been told I shouldn't). It must tempt some to tighten bindings ... and perhaps cause some injuries.

Is the jump less, later in the season with snow build-up, or more? Or can it go either way?
snow report
I suppose they have to call the Sarenne a black to warn beginners that there is a bit which might be around 30º. But to then market the run as the longest black is cynical.
By the way, even further around the back of the mountain there is some great off piste which joins the Sarenne run for the long, rather boring run-out.
latest report
Couloir Extreme, Whistler - not much extreme about it.

Haute Tarentaise - pretty but skiing is boring - depends how it's sold to you I guess.

Couloir Pisteurs Val d'Isere - looks awsome from a distance, I was quite nervous going in but in reality easy entry, nice snow, nice and steep, didn't feel to exposed - great fun.

I guess with any runs it depends on teh conditions on the day. Do agree with comments ref Sarenne.
latest report
gortonator, It has probably been open half the time I have been there, and last year I stood behind a 10 or 11 year old child (who was a great skier) who was talking about the time he had done it!
snow report
EOSB race track. All newbies absolutely bricking it, when in reality it turned out to be rather tame (but massive fun)
snow conditions
So who here has actually skied Corbetts?
snow report
 brian
brian
Not sure my bottle would be up to Corbett's, looking at the pics Confused

Anyway, my nomination goes to the Swiss wall, Swiss wide open reasonably steep slope would be more accurate.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian wrote:

Anyway, my nomination goes to the Swiss wall, Swiss wide open reasonably steep slope would be more accurate.

The Swiss Wall is like a beautiful woman, promises much but ultimately is a bit of a dissapointment....

oh sorry Swiss Wall not Swiss Toni, Doh!
snow report
brian, I'm with you re "The Wall". Although I would prefer not to fall on it when it's icy from top to bottom - but these days that means it'll be closed. Generally the biggest risk is from all the people skiing it who really, really shouldn't be.

Likewise Tortin, "A little bumpy sometimes at a reasonable gradient".

And I probably have to through in the Vallee Blanche. Sure, the views are amazing, but they're pretty amazing from my garage roof too, particularly after a couple of cheeky ones with the grillade fired up.
ski holidays
Like quite a few others here it seems I have seen Corbetts, in my case the view from the tram was enough to put me of without looking closer. I did meet up with a couple of decent but not outstanding skiers who had been roped into it on a 'Steeps' course, they said that the actual couloir was pretty straightforward but would not have fancied the drop in.

I guess for any run the hype depends on the level you ski at and what the conditions are like at the time. The same run can be easy or horrendous depending on the snow. Personal view of the Swiss wall based on only one visit is that it is certainly steep as far as black runs go, but a few steeper black runs such as Tortin are being regraded itinaires for no very obvious reason.
ski holidays
Haven't seen Tortin for years but I don't recall that as steep even back then.

I think it you are worried about how steep a route is...you probably shouldn't go there.

For example, Grand Couloir (L2A) isn't steep...especially if you are in the middle of it...looks nice from the bottom tho'
You have to stay high on the gully walls to get a steep pitch.
snow conditions
JT,
Genuine question.
Are there any European black runs you would regard as 'steep'?
I have not done the Grand Couloir in LDA or the couloirs in Courchevel but I've not seen any that I think are much steeper than The Swiss wall maybe Mont Fort?
I think the main hassle with Tortin is the 'ledgey' way in rather than it bieng particularly steep.
snow report
JT, wasn't then, isn't now, just seems to have accreted a little reputation to itself.

Corbett's looks interesting though...Only met one chum who's been there, said it wasn't at all bad.
snow report
T Bar, Grand Couloir is a steep black, but in the US there are marked runs which would be off-piste in Europe and are much steeper. And the many similar slopes in Europe are given names and also have reputations so I think we are comparing with those.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 16-10-07 10:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
T Bar, I would be surprised personally if any "marked" runs were genuinely steep...

Mont Fort might be consistently steeper than the well which curves away very quickly from the top. Haven't done it in ages.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 15-10-07 18:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
David Murdoch,
I agree, I was more wondering if there were any.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
David Murdoch,
I agree, I was more wondering if there were any.

There are quite a few blacks with 35 degree gradients over 50+ meters which I think most skiers, at least most recreational skiers, would consider steep.
ski holidays
davidof,
As a matter of interest which ones?
snow conditions
Definitely agree with others' opinions regarding the Sarenne. Did it first time on about my 5th week skiing and othe than a couple of short pitches I was left thinking "was that it?". Did it again (now with much more experience) the year before last as a time filler - and found it very uninspiring indeed. Agree about the much more interesting routes off the back of the Pic Blanc that join back into it - but they are genuine off-piste routes rather than a (rather easy) black piste.

While on definitely a much higher level, once over the rock band at the entry I was also left thinking "was that it" about the Triffide Couloir we did last year (although I suspect that the one next to it was a bit trickier). No complaints about having it 'ticked off' though. There are clearly much more challenging elements in La Grave though. E.g. having looked up the "Rama" that looks a much trickier undertaking.

I was also fairly unimpressed by the Malfata above Alagna: once you get off the abseil rope it's pretty easy. The glory of this though is the ensuing ski out down a long valley into Alagna. I was much more impressed by the "Oh Shit!" couloir, and (although much shorter) the "Pylon 19" (I think) on the Gressoney side.

The Valluga (only done it once as well) I think probably deserves its reputation because of the exposure: while not particularly challenging technically it's definitely a "no fall zone" because of the cliff below it, particularly if remotely icy. To my regret I've still not been in Chamonix when a guide's been happy to take on the "Grand Envers" above the Valle Blanche (I normally go there too early in the season). Looking at it from the other side of the valley that looks a good one to do - reasonably steep and also some exposure to it as well (the Bergschrund below waiting to swallow you up if you get it wrong).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy