Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going for a 5 day trip to Innsbruck this winter. (Hopefully there will be snow). I've driven through there on the way to st. anton but I have never skied in the areas around the city. Where is the good skiing? We are all experts so we are looking for challenging terrain/off-piste etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
j, There are a lot of places within shouting distance of Innsbruck. The main areas used by the locals are Axamer Lizum and Patscherkofel or if you are mobile then drive up to Stubai or even to Kühtai ( which is where the people who live in Axams go to ski Puzzled About 45mins from Innsbruck ). Off piste / challenging terrain can be found in every resort, even in Seefeld which is billed as a beginners area!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm off to Seefeld this xmas for my first ski holiday in quite a few years and just to make it more interesting we are driving there. I'm not worried about the trip or holiday at all, but would appreciate any handy hints or tips from anyone who has been to Seefeld before or driven in Austria.

In particular I'd like to know about motorway vignettes, local ski schools, ski passes etc. I used to ski well enough a few years back but since then the kit has changed and I got older, but I'm looking forward to having another bash.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Motorway Vignettes can be bought at petrol stations, motorwas service stations (obviously you need to get it before the boarder). From what I cna remember you ould buy one that covered you for 10 days and was fairly cheap
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hugh Jarse, if you drive to Seefeld via Garmisch you don't need a vignette (unless you're planning on driving elsewhere on Austrian motorways during your trip).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
j, for the steeper terrain, Innsbruck locals tend to go here http://www.nordpark.com/bahn.html?&L=2
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hugh Jarse, This website has useful info on driving regs in Austria. Note that you have to have a high visibility reflective waistcoat/jacket with you in the car (not the boot!) These can be bought in the UK or at service stations at the Austrian border.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, in Seefeld, if you take the cable car across from from the Rosskopf middle station to Härmelekopf you look straight down onto one of the steepest couloirs I have ever done ( including St.Anton, Val D, Tignes, Verbier etc etc ) Like I say, you can find steeps and deeps in the most unexpected places Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
j, there's a delightful little resort called Steinach just off the motorway beyond the Europabrukke. Only about 5 lifts but lots of great off piste tree stuff. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Innsbruck:
I was impressed by Axamer Lizum, disappointed by Stubai. There wasn't enough snow to ski Nordpark, but it's reachable from the city while the others require a bus. I found the bus system to be really poorly organised and a royal pain. Unless the snow is really thin, I wouldn't mess with taking the long trek out to Stubai.

Seefeld:
For a little more money you can get the 'Happy Ski Card' that includes Mittenwald, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the Zugspitze and the Austrian areas just beyond the Zugspitze. Getting to the other Austrian areas would be a little too much effort logistically, but Garmisch and the Zugspitze are good for a day and more extensive than Seefled, and Mittenwald has the Dammkar if you're into ungroomed snow. Avoid Garmisch on the 31st if you want peaceful skiing. It is full for the ski jumping the next day, and the pistes are full of drunks by about 10:30 am. The atmosphere in the village is great, though.

Seefeld is massively expensive. If money is an issue, you can save a lot of it by spending yours just over the border in Mittenwald. Mittenwald also happens to be about as quaint as you could ever want, and there are some nice traditional restaurants. The local brew is damn good, too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ami in berlin, yes. The Dammkar. When you get it on a good day it's about one of the best runs I've ever done. Seven Km of heaven. On the other hand it really can be misery on a bad day though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just a few other questions: It is impossible to get to Kutai with out a car? What was good about Axams? I have heard mixed reviews about it. Nordpark sounds like a great place but do you need a guide and is it all off piste and gnarly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hugh Jarse, we also have a Hugh Jarce
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can get a free Postbus to Kuhtai from Innsbruck. My girlfriend did this to go cross-country skiing while I was at Axamer Lizum. It took a while to get there, though.

What was good about Axamer Lizum? Keep in mind this was last year after Christmas, so we were dealing with really bad snow conditions. In comparison to Stubai, the runs were steeper, longer and more extensive. They had done a fantastic job with the snowmaking. Lift pass was also a cheap €29.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Hugh Jarse, we also have a Hugh Jarce

Hmmm... I wonder if he's related? Razz
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy