Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One day in resort by Overnight Eurostar

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know who does the Eurostar trips with the following itinerary

Leave London evening Friday
Arrive resort Saturday morning
Ski Saturday
Back on train Saturday evening
Back into London Sunday morning.

I need to know the actual company, not just lastminute etc.

Thanks
Liz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Er, Eurostar ? Looks like you want to go to BSM and then ski Les Arcs for the day ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eurostar would be the obvious choice however, latminute have tickets for £99 at the moment, Eurostar £299 therefore I'm assuming they've given some sort of discount out to another company. I can't book it today as I need to organise the group but it says it's a special price till Sunday and no one at Lastminute can tell me anything about it so I need to find the source of the tickets!!

Any help anyone?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
why do you need a company other than Euro$tar? Jump on the train. Arrive about 7.30 am; jump in a bus or funicular up to the resort; ski; head back down for the train; go home
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
liz09,

Sounds like the snow train which would Eurostar into Paris and then get an overnight train to BourgSM.
There is THE snowtrain from the UK but this sounds like it is a contenental service
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry perhaps I'm not making myself clear, I would like to go on Eurostar but I would like to know how I get discounted tickets as no-one at Lastminute can tell me anything about these tickets, i.e. what the normal price is after the special offer ends!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
liz09, do not try this! It is not worth it, even at £99.
The overnight Eurostar is purgatory. No - its worse than purgatory.
You have a seat with minimal recline. You will hardly sleep. If you do sleep at all you will wake up with aches everywhere.
All you really want then is a lovely long hot bath. You will get a cramped changing room.
Assuming you've got your lift pass on line and have all your own kit, you might just make it onto the slopes by 10.00.
And if the weather is fine you might well have a good day's skiing - the thrill of skiing and being outdoors will just about get you through - beware having more than a quick snack at lunchtime.
But. A Big But. Come the evening when you really really want a nice long sleep in a really comfy bed, you will have to face a night in the Eurostar again.
You will hate it. You will spend Sunday in bed. And you will wish you had taken my advice.
I did this trip with a week's skiing in between. Never again.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ok, assuming I know all of that - does anyone know the answer to my question!! Smile Thanks for the advice though I'll keep it in mind!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
liz09, calm down dear! Cool
This article suggests that Lastminute has organised this trip itself
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fab thanks - strange they don't seem to know anything about it!!! Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why does Eurostar get made into that weird link?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think it's affiliate marketing which is fair enough. Basically if someone clicks on the link and that person subsequently purchases something from Eurostar snowheads will get commission.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
liz09, I don't think many folk package Eurostar trips. Other than Lastminute - you could try SNCF.CO.UK and RAILEUROPE... but I don't think their prices will be any different to Eurostar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
liz09, my mum did that - you can book direct through Eurostar, or through Last Minute. Same deal.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
out of interest what did your mum think of the trip? Jonpim presents quite a pessimistic view of it. Obviously don't want to bother if it's going to be a nightmare! Thanks
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
............I did this trip with a week's skiing in between. Never again.

Me2.
ski holidays
liz09, how old are you (or how old do you feel)? no disrespect to Jonpim or achilles intended, but they are becoming more mature in years wink
snow conditions
Good grief snowheads... no sense of adventure!

Liz if I could only get the Sat off I'd have a go if nothing else just to see what it is like.

I'm definitely "mature in years" and I really enjoyed doing the overnight train. I loved the idea that once I was on the train I just sat back and woke up in resort. I slept/dozed off and on - it was fine. People paint ghastly pictures of riotous noise and screaming kids but although the train was full on the way out it was really quiet. Maybe I was just lucky?
You'll be so excited the adrenaline will keep you going while you ski. You'll be so knackered on the way back you'll sleep.

Book in for a nice meal in Bourg St M while you wait for the evening train.

What have you got to lose - its not exactly expensive!.... I'm going to go on last minute to have a look now!!
ski holidays
Hi, Thanks for the positive review Jayne. We are going to book it and it looks like a group of about 12 of us are going so it should be a good laugh, and as you say get a good meal in BSM before the train goes again.
latest report
liz09, What date are you thinking of going as RAILEUROPE don't operate until 17th Jan 08 so that's one way of confirming which train co. it is. I've done the overnight on Eurostar and yes the seats aren't the most comfortable but if you take a pillow you should be ok, it’s great if you go of a week as you can do 8 days of skiing.

I think there are small lockers in the station that you can leave your kit in but travel light as I’ve heard that they are small.

As for food there is an excellent bar/restaurant across the road from the station called bazoom. There are also some others across from the bus station, ski rock do great burgers just what you need after a hard day on the slopes. Enjoy Les Arcs…..
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
liz09, how old are you (or how old do you feel)? no disrespect to Jonpim or achilles intended, but they are becoming more mature in years wink

I am offended. Granted he'll grow up one day, but Jonpim's far too young to be as mature as I am. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
liz09, do not try this! It is not worth it, even at £99.
The overnight Eurostar is purgatory. No - its worse than purgatory.
You have a seat with minimal recline. You will hardly sleep. If you do sleep at all you will wake up with aches everywhere.
All you really want then is a lovely long hot bath. You will get a cramped changing room.
Assuming you've got your lift pass on line and have all your own kit, you might just make it onto the slopes by 10.00.
And if the weather is fine you might well have a good day's skiing - the thrill of skiing and being outdoors will just about get you through - beware having more than a quick snack at lunchtime.
But. A Big But. Come the evening when you really really want a nice long sleep in a really comfy bed, you will have to face a night in the Eurostar again.
You will hate it. You will spend Sunday in bed. And you will wish you had taken my advice.
I did this trip with a week's skiing in between. Never again.

I'm with jonpim on this - it's the worst way of getitng to the alps (IMHO) driving or flying, whilst being less carbon neutral are more comfortable, more flexible and more enjoyable...All I wanted when I got there was to kip for a day and not enjoy a day on the moutain, BUT if its the only option for a days skiing then it might be worth a try. Personally I'd rather do a 3-4 day trip somewhere so the travelling is a smaller part of the overall trip..

If you do take the train then take ear-plugs, eye covers (like on airplanes) and some booze. have a couple of drinks o n the way out to help you sleep...
latest report
liz09, my mum and 13yr old brother did it, both of them are 5'11+ and although it wasnt the most comfortable, they seemed to think it was ok. We had a great day together ( I was working a season out there) and my mum ( a complete pain in the back bottom traveller) didnt think it was too horrific, so go for it, £99 is less than I would spend in 1hr shopping and id pay it for a day on the slopes!
ski holidays
liz09, I've booked for 11th Jan (ski on 12th) Very Happy
ski holidays
Even in first class Eurostar it's not that much better. It's not that the seats are particularly uncomfortable, but certainly on the way there all the direction changing makes it much harder to sleep than a plane. The free champagne helps! Smile
For daytime travel however it is the way to go...
How much would it be to get a cheap flight to Geneva/Lyon/Turin then hire a car for the day?
latest report
stuarth, flight costs - dunno (but I'll be its more that £99), but I work 15 mins from St Pancras so very handy to go straight from work on friday night.

To fly would mean either an overnight stay for a stupid o'clock check-in or leave so early I woudln't get any sleep anyway, then there's the drive at the other end. I genuinely believe the overnight Eurostar will be more restful: get on the train, settle down, get off when you arrive, job's a goodun.
snow report
A few years back, I did one of the first day trips to Chamonix. Flight from Gatwick, transfer in a coach, got changed, skied for a bit then had a beer, got on the coach, got to Geneva and back home by about midnight. I thought it was great. There was a slight delay waiting for others in the party who were hiring equipment (we weren't even with them, but somehow they arranged it so that we all went to the hire shop, then onto the "changing room" even though many people had their own gear and could therefore have been out on the slopes).

Anyway, it was worth it for the experience. We had great weather, beer and chips at a mountain restaurant, able to phone the office and say "guess where I am today." I'd not recommend it for novices and ideally having your own gear should make a big difference.

This was back in the day before security at the airports etc. so I'm not sure if the timing would work as well now. From memory we were on the slopes by around 10:30. You don't do this sort of thing for quality sleep time/comfort.

I would say the train (having been on the snow train way back when too) might mean that the travel time feels a little too long. Nevertheless, this isn't about having a 1 seventh of a "proper ski holiday". It's a totally different experience. It's as much about telling the story afterward as it is enjoying the day.
snow report
johnnyh, well done! I have my own gear, and it's as you say it is about the experience Very Happy

I don't think the travel time will feel too long for me as I normally ski in North America - Eurostar will be luxurious and quick compared to Monarch to Calgary or Denver!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spanking a total of £200 - 300 for about 6 hrs' skiing and zero sleep is a bit pointless.

Better to save the cash and timeoff for a full week.

Even going to SnowWorld near the Hague is a better bet for a daytrip or weekend trip.
latest report
Luckily I am going for a full week in March as well!! However I'm seeing this as a weekend away not just 6 hours skiing. We've got a great group together so should be a laugh on the way down, and we can have a nice french meal in BSM before we get back on the train, collect some cheese and wine to take back home, it'll be great.

I think £200 for a weekend away is quite cheap really, especially with a days skiing involved.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Spanking a total of £200 - 300 for about 6 hrs' skiing and zero sleep is a bit pointless.

How do you get £200 -£300 Puzzled the fare is £99.00, I have my own gear, it costs me nothing to get to St Pancras with my season ticket. The only extra is the lift pass at around £25. I woudl have to eat anyway.
snow report
liz09, ignore the whingers and pessimists- especially the pious ones who have never done the journey themselves. You'll have a great time!
snow conditions
liz09, I'm definitely elderly, and probably wouldn't do two nights sitting on a train for one day's skiing (if only because I now have my own apartment at the edge of the piste!). BUT I have paid a lot more than that to charter a yacht for three days, had very little sleep, got very wet, occasionally scared, and quite frequently seasick too. It was great! Go for it.....
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
liz09, I'm definitely elderly, and probably wouldn't do two nights sitting on a train for one day's skiing (if only because I now have my own apartment at the edge of the piste!). BUT I have paid a lot more than that to charter a yacht for three days, had very little sleep, got very wet, occasionally scared, and quite frequently seasick too. It was great! Go for it.....

Fantastic! I'm giving that to my Mom for her 70's birtherday... Shocked wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy