Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow train, but to where??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I know i have left it very late to start thinking about a ski holiday but the wife and son and I want to do a snow train from the UK but have no idea where to go. We want to travel over the xmas holidays but realise most places will be booked up.
Does anyone know where we can find "cost effective" accom for this period. There must be guest houses etc that maybe are not full yet?
I need help basically, people i know who go away at xmas dont always want to tell us where they go as they find quiet little resorts where only locals go. i want one of these, infact i just want anywhere.....
Answers on a postcard or below thanks.
Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I love it when people are helpful like that - how you and your family going to a "quiet" resort is going to make it busy I don't know!

the easiest place to get to is Les Arc - you can get the train into Bourg San Maurice and then the funicular train upto the resort. I went for new years a few years back and met up with friends who got there on a last minute deal.

It's also quite high, so has a better chance of snow
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surfstar, ... another vote for Les Arcs. The Funiculaire up to Les Arcs 1600 takes about 7 minutes and is just across the platforms from where you arrive on the 'Snow Train'. There are good bus services between Les Arcs 1600, 1800 and 2000.
These websites will provide all the information you need:
Perso La Plagne (In my view the best)

or, La Plagne

rob@rar, has a beautiful apartment in Les Arcs which he lets to snowHeads (if the're very good boys & girls wink. PM him.

I also have some friends who live there, who may rent you an apartment. It's not on the rental market, but again for snowHeads it may be available. PM me if you need it.

You will love the entire trip! Les Arcs will be great at Christmas if you can get to it, through the metres of snow which I predict .... Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think I'm in he same boat by suddenly finding I'm on my own for Crimbo so I'm looking for a little bunk for that time. . . I think it may have to be last minute and allocation on arrival, but I too would like somewhere small and unobtrusive . . . like Les Arcs wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cairngorm Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B wrote:
Cairngorm Toofy Grin

very funny soooo helpful Exclamation
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
whakapapa, you heading north for the season?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gidday
off to Canazei for a week at begining of March, meeting up with daughter and a group in London. A week isnt long enough however with skiing in both hemispheres for the last two years I shouldnt complain.
cheers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

however with skiing in both hemispheres for the last two years I shouldnt complain.

You could always complain about volcanic eruptions!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The typical,chartered snowtrain stops at Moutiers, Bourg St Maurice and the smaller Aime inbetween the two.
The resorts that Moutiers station serves are:
Courchevel 1550,1650 and 1850, Le Praz, La Tania, Meribel, Mottaret, Saint Martin de Belleville, Les Menuires, Reberty, Val Thorens, Doucy and Valmorel.
Aime station serves:
La Plagne, Montchavin, Montalbert.
Bourg Saint Maurice serves:
Les Arcs (1600,1800,1950 and 2000), Peisey Vallandry, Vilaroger, La Rosiere, Ste Foy de Tarentainse, Val d'Isere and Tignes.
(have I missed any?)
I think a few tour ops also disembark people at Chambery to take them down to Les Deux Alpes and Alpes d'Huez but I've never really considered this in detail as Grenoble station is so much closer to these places than Chambery.

You book this 'branded' Snowtrain directly with Raileurope.

Alternatively the French operate their own, slightly more civilised sleeper service to those destinations. This is usually much cheaper than the chartered service and you have more flexibility i.e. which Eurostar you take (and hence how long you spend in Paris) plus there is the option of 1st class couchettes which the chartered service does not offer. These are usually not much more expensive than the 2nd class and, there being only four beds per compartment (6 in 2nd), are nicer for a family IMO. The beds are also far more comfortable.

So the French snowtrain offers a premium service at a lower cost, what's the drawback?

Well, the Chartered service is dedicated to British tourists and so departs Gare du Nord, the same station the Eurostar arrives at. Although convenient for the passenger, this is rather akin to taking a train to Manchester from London Victoria: not impossible but just a little awkward. So the train shuffles its way through goods-yards as it works its way around Paris for an hour or two before it hits the 'open rails' South. Most passangers are oblivious to this fact though as they are 'busy' in the bar.

The scheduled French sleeper departs Gare d'Austerlitz so you need to travel a few stops (9) on the Metro (or take a cab) there from Gare du Nord. Also you need to book this scheduled service in 2 parts to be sure of getting what you need at the best price and many have complained that the French railways (SNCF) site is confusing.

Go here to book the Eurostar.
This page should help simplify booking the French section: snowtrain

But where to go? Hopefully, the list of resorts above should help by giving you a sub-set of destinations served by the snowtrain from which to make your choice.
Really high altitude places like Tignes and Val Thorens are pretty guaranteed to have snow at Christmas but their altitude makes them a little Lunar in appearance and so not particularly 'Christmasy'.
Somewhere like Le Praz might be nice. It's only about 20mins from Moutiers station, is a proper little town / big village and I would imagine lovely at Christmas but at 1300m it's also comparatively low so, although it links swiftly up to Courchevel above, it may not have much/any snow itself.

To be honest, as I've not skied at Christmas myself, I wouldn't like to guess which villages/resorts do it best. Snow conditions at Christmas vary immensly from year to year so I've always tended toward the opinion that if we were to go away for Christmas I would choose a place that was good for Christmas first and good for Skiing second.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Raileurope/snowtrain doesn't start until mid Jan 08.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin,

Good write-up.

surfstar, The train is the easy part as outlined above... maybe look further afield than France for a really Christamassy deal.

Switzerland offers 'all-in packages' I think ..

http://www.switzerlandtravelcentre.co.uk/ski_holidays_saas_fee.html is as starter and I have been loking for the same without the flights.

You might have to find a hotel that is doing that deal but at Xmas it may not need to....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
or maybe have a look through this...

http://www.alpenregion.ch/unterkunft/fr_main_de.gos?act=liste&style=hotel&lang=de
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, surfstar,

Hi,

We have an apartment in Bourg St Maurice, 5 mins walk from the funicular which is 7 mins to Les Arcs 1600. It sleeps 4 (pm me for further info). Happy to rent it to snowheads over Christams.

Harley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My childhood skiing holidays (perhaps enhanced since by Hollywood) were immeasurably enhanced by the excitement of getting on a sleeper train in Paris (am I imagining the smell of coal and steam, the damp atmosphere, the darkness and the dim spots of light, the timber, the dusty, sooty upholstery) and emerging into white, dry cold, crisp snow, whistles from the guard, high mountains and clear blue skies in Kufstein and Brixlegg.

http://www.seat61.com/Austria.htm - brilliant train travel site

Pseuds corner I know - but leaves an indelible impression - did when we went Scotrail to Inverness - or to Avignon and the aromas and heat of Provence.

Not cheap mind.
snow conditions
and a map of that most secret organistion - the French sleeper service - and no English version that I can find !

http://www.coraillunea.fr/destinations/index.html

bonne chance !
ski holidays
harley is correct.

The Rail Europe Snow Train doesn't start until January 18 - see here

The Eurostar Direct Ski Train runs from Friday 28th December 2007 - see here

If you want to train out for Christmas you will need to go DIY (Admin's Alternative Civilised way): Eurostar to Paris and then SNCF to the alps from Gare de Lyon (day trains) or Gare d'Austerlitz (night trains).

I have just done a quick look at availability for Friday December 21st and Saturday 22nd. There are a few of the cheaper fares for the SNCF trains, but on Eurostar there are only standard 2nd class fares left at £154 one-way. You need to book early to get the £29.50 fares.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy