Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New chairlift in Puy Saint Vincent

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Spotted on http://www.paysdesecrins.net/francais/station_ski_puystvincent.aspx

They have replaced the Lauzes double button lift with a chair supposedly to be faster, more comfortable and easier for children. A bit of googling revealed that this will be a 4 man fixed grip which begs a few questions.

Is a non-detachable chair any faster than a surface lift?

Will it give much capacity improvement over a double button lift. Especially as chairs require a lot of management to be used efficiently unlike the drags.

I can appreciate the easier for children bit especially since my 6 year old son had some problems with the old lift last February. But I can imagine a non-detachable chair run at a decent speed could also be a problem for kids to get off as well as on.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes it's a non detachable chair, but the old double drag was fast and steep with a trick turn at the end, so I'm sure this will be an improvement.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
petel, the launch at the bottom was the problem for my son but I guess you must be on a board. I am back on Skis after 10 years of boarding so am quite happy with surface lifts again:) I particularly enjoyed the Rocher Noir since that was the least queue prone after having been banned on both a board and snowblades on previous trips.

We were there during the last week of Feb last winter and hit a bit of queueing. I know that is still French holidays but was that normal or just because PSV had better conditions than other places?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nessy wrote:
Is a non-detachable chair any faster than a surface lift?

Several fixed grip chairs in Tignes run alongside drag lifts and in each case the drags are faster. But when I was there I was never tempted to use the drags - with my fitness level chairs give me a brief opportunity to relieve the burning sensation in my thighs brought on by skiing at excessive speeds.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The old double drag was always a bottle-neck at PSV, mostly because people fell of it at the start a lot and that it kept breaking down, so I'm presuming that this lift will help to resolve this otherwise it will be a bit of a waste of 2,8m euros!

The other benefit is that it now opens up this big slope to ski on more. Before it was rather cut in two by the drags...whereas now with the lift being in the air you will be able to freely ski under it allowing you to cut across this massive slope easily for maximum powder between pistes fun!!!! Can't wait!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nessy, Anything that means sitting down and having a rest is good for me Smile Seriously though that lift although ok for most,certainly put my wife and youngest boy off using that side of the mountain,even though they are well capable of skiing the terrain.
If you only weigh 4 stone a lot of older drags ,tend to lift you two feet in the air at the start and should a young child fall of halfway it can only dent the confidence somewhat. As PSV is such a great resort to learn and progress in I think this new chair will be a great addition,hopefully in the near future they will put the proposed chair in near the bottom of La Balme too.
Roll on New Year!!!!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I guess I find fast running fixed grips also a bit tricky with my children. For instance the main reason I didn't take my 6 year old son up the Pendine was the prospect of getting on and off it.

petel, do you know if there will be a conveyer belt at the bottom?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/-5rEzacG4sg
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy