Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne new pistes and re graded pistes for 07/08

Poster: A snowHead
New pistes and regrading of some pistes has been announced.
details from the excellent www.perso-laplagne.fr as always!

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/News.htm
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This might be a silly question but why would they regrade so many pistes? Surely the terrain they're on is the main factor and they aren't going to change that - is it that someone's decided they were wrongly graded?

Incidentally I am going to Vallandry and thinking about getting the Discovery lift pass that gets me a single visit over to La Plagne side of the Vanoise Express. However someone has said the runs around the La P side of the lift although blue, get very icy and I wouldn't like them - is that really the case? Would I get over there and have a problem and end up just crossing back again, or worse still getting stuck??? Can you go over and actually get somewhere as a 'foot' passenger - if so that would reassure me that if the skiing was out of my comfort zone I would not be stuck!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The run from the bottom of the golf chair towards Montalbert (cornodguille (sp)) has always struck me as red, but is listed as blue. I have never skied it ice free.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hands up who is no longer going to take a tried and tested run anymore because it has now been graded red as opposed to blue? You know who you are.... rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NewSkier, I remember being a third week skier and being taken down to either Montchavin or Les Coches by our ski instructor. It was a long run through trees, and beign January fairly dark. It was a blue piste, but had a short ,steep and very icy section which at the time I thought should have been black . I got a big bruise when I fell on it. However, there are many other runs down, and most are fairly straightforward.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NewSkier, the blues down to the La Plagne side of the Vanoise Express can get a bit icy if the snow is anything less than good. In my experience more icy than the blues down to Vallandry, although I'm not sure why this would be the case. I don't think that there is much that you could do as a foot passenger - the La Plagne side of the lift does not end up in a village like it does at Plan Peisey, so the only think you can do is ski away from it or walk down a piste.

Although it is nice to have to opportunity to travel some distance to other resorts and see some new terrain, I don't think you are going to be short of choice in Les Arcs. There is a great long-distance route you can take on blues from Vallandry, up to Col de Chal (where the ice grotto is), down to Arc 2000, then Arc 1950, above Arc 1600, across to Arc 1800 and finally back to Peisey. That's covering just as much mileage as a trip across to Belle Plagne and back.
snow report
 brian
brian
NewSkier wrote:
Surely the terrain they're on is the main factor and they aren't going to change that

You would think so but a lot of alpine resorts are pretty handy with the bulldozers. They'd never get away with it here !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NewSkier, As Rob says above conditions can be difficult for ice etc as the area is low, however more snowmaking has been out in this summer details on perso-laplagne. It's worth coming over just for the experience of the Vanoise Express, last winter we were able to look down on two Golden Eagles circling in the valley below. Once across there is a restaurant a short walk from the lift.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bulldozers to re-grade slopes? Shocked

Exhibit A your Honour Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NewSkier, depends how much you've skied before and how confident you are. If you can ski a red in good conditions, then you should be able to cope down to the Vanoise in icy conditions, but it wouldnt be too enjoyable - no point pushing yourself when theres plenty in Les Arcs for a relative beginner/ intermediate
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, Thanks for the info about the restaurant & that the trip itself's worthwhile (on a good day!). Can you get a simple 'foot fare' ticket to go over & back? Oh and Exhibit A - well, I am stunned!

Nadenoodlee, Thanks for this - it confims what I was told. I can't ski all BLUES yet, so perhaps my skis will stay the Les Arcs side! I am banking on the La Foret living up to its reputation as the longest 'green' in Europe and being somewhere that I can work on my confidence!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NewSkier,

Why don't you see what the snow conditions are like when you arrive. I did the same Discovery option in reverse last year (staying in La Plagne and spent a day in Les Arc. La Plagne has some great skiing and I think it's a shame to be so close and not have a look, even for one day. If you feel that snow conditions aren't good then don't buy the Decouverte lift pass.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just thinking - realised I am having lessons Mon-Fri and we fly home Sat, so I wouldn't be able to spend a whole day out anyway. So I might get the Les Arcs pass, and perhaps buy just a non-skiing return ticket to have the ride, if that is possible or get a half-day skiers one if the weather's good and my confidence is up to it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, .... are there really restaurants on the Les Arcs side .... ? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BernardC wrote:
boredsurfin, .... are there really restaurants on the Les Arcs side .... ? Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Not many and when you find one they can't be bothered to serve you Sad
snow report
NewSkier,
Quote:

boredsurfin, Thanks for the info about the restaurant & that the trip itself's worthwhile (on a good day!). Can you get a simple 'foot fare' ticket to go over & back? Oh and Exhibit A - well, I am stunned!

Dunno! Good question, wander over to the lift and ask the lifties they are very friendly!
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Once across there is a restaurant a short walk from the lift.

Our favorite lunch spot. 'Sandwich American' is the choice. A baguette with ketchup, 2 burgers and filled with chips washed down with Stella. snowHead snowHead Amazing after a hard mornings skiing.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
New pistes and regrading of some pistes has been announced.
details from the excellent www.perso-laplagne.fr as always!

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/News.htm

Think the La Plagne tourist business should hand over the running of thier website to RG. Fantastic photos and up to date news. Though I am still troubled by the phots on the news page showing the removal of the icy wall of death on 'La Source'. Great sport wathcing novices with brown pants Shocked stuck on the side of it. Laughing Laughing
snow report
Some advice if possible please?

The only suitable accommodation I can find is situated in either Belle Plagne or Plagne Villages. I can't decide which place would be most suitable. Plagne Villages seems very convenient for Plagne Centre and has a few more lifts. This sounds good as we have some non skiers and beginners in our party. Belle Plagne on the other hand seems further out from the action and has less choice lift wise. Just wondering how easy/difficult it is get to Plagne Centre from Belle Plagne and how convenient the skiing is form Belle Plagne? Ta.... snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Hywel wrote:
Some advice if possible please?

The only suitable accommodation I can find is situated in either Belle Plagne or Plagne Villages. I can't decide which place would be most suitable. Plagne Villages seems very convenient for Plagne Centre and has a few more lifts. This sounds good as we have some non skiers and beginners in our party. Belle Plagne on the other hand seems further out from the action and has less choice lift wise. Just wondering how easy/difficult it is get to Plagne Centre from Belle Plagne and how convenient the skiing is form Belle Plagne? Ta.... snowHead snowHead snowHead

Belle Plagne as easy acess to Arpette lift (fastest and best lift in the world Laughing ) and from there not to far to ski to Vanoise and Les Arcs. If you want a fantastic place to ski the whole domain, Belle Plagne better in my opinion.
ski holidays
gwaelod wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:
Once across there is a restaurant a short walk from the lift.

Our favorite lunch spot. 'Sandwich American' is the choice. A baguette with ketchup, 2 burgers and filled with chips washed down with Stella. snowHead snowHead Amazing after a hard mornings skiing.

I thought they only served Tartiflette in La Plagne wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hywel, Out of the two I have stayed in Plagne Villages more often for the reasons you stated. The big plus for the non-skiers will be the pedestrian lift down to Plagne Centre. In BP they would be reliant on the bus.
Ski wise I think Villages is the winner as well.
But as gwoodlord says BP is perhaps better placed to do the whole of Paradiski. (The 8 man Arpette chair is actually at Plagne Bellecote wink ) and PV is better placed if wanting to be central to La Plagne.
Confused? You should be Laughing
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:

But as gwoodlord says BP is perhaps better placed to do the whole of Paradiski. (The 8 man Arpette chair is actually at Plagne Bellecote wink ) and PV is better placed if wanting to be central to La Plagne.
Confused? You should be Laughing

It's pretty easy & quick to get to Plagne Bellecote from Plagne Villages as well, though, & all on blues... keep your beginners & non-skiers happy (as aforesaid, they'll be better off in PV) because the rest of you will be happy anyway!
ski holidays
boredsurfin,

Who is gwoodlord? rolling eyes
snow report
gwaelod, never coold type pwoper wink
ski holidays
Hywel, Plagne Centre is only 1 lift from Belle Plagne. Straight down to Bellecote and up the Colossus to Plagne Villages. I prefer BP to Villages, excellent access to everywhere.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
But as gwoodlord says BP is perhaps better placed to do the whole of Paradiski. (The 8 man Arpette chair is actually at Plagne Bellecote wink )

Out of mild curiosity where did I say it was in Plagne Bellecote? My comment was the Belle Plagne offers easy access to Arpette lift and also has the added benefit that when you are coming back over the top from Montchavin/Les Coches side you can ski into Belle Plagne rather than head down to Plagne Bellecote and take a lift up.

As Michael B says BP has better access overall.

Alternatively you could stay in Montalbert and see very little without lots and lots and lots of lifts. wink Razz NehNeh
ski holidays
Michael B wrote:
I prefer Belle Plagne to Villages, excellent access to everywhere.

But you MUST to go to Bellecote...
And there's many (too many in fact) people in Bellecote...
Plagne Villages is near Plagne Centre, you are at 3 minutes of the Funiplagne by example...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RG wrote:
But you MUST to go to Bellecote...

Not necessairly, its mid station for the Roche Del Mio bubble Laughing Puzzled
snow conditions
Of course. I forgot it ! (Shame on me !)
But it's a long way... I never go to Roche de Mio by the Gondola...
So...ok ! My post was stupid ! Wink
snow report
RG, ..... an error ...... just an error .....!

...you're forgiven ... no need to wear sack-cloth and ashes all season.... Toofy Grin
latest report
But Belle Plagne has just this lift... Wink
snow report
And doesn't the lift comes up from Bellecote so will be full anyway?
ski holidays
I suppose that when we must wait 45 minutes in Bellecote to take the Gondola, it's difficult to take it in Belle Plagne, but I don't know...
snow report
Absolutely mid-station is a nightmare and have you tried the toilet there ................................. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
So, my post was not so stupid ! Smile
ski holidays
Hywel, I think the answer to your question has rather got lost in the general snowheads banter.
My advice is go for Belle Plagne.
Plagne Village is a one-horse ghetto on the outskirts of Plagne Centre, which is itself a ghastly crowded conglomerate of ancient high rise apartment blocks and burger bars.
Belle Plagne is up the mountain, above the smog, with lovely views and excellent access to all areas of La Plagne.
ski holidays
Quote:
Absolutely mid-station is a nightmare and have you tried the toilet there

Is there a public toilet in La Plagne? for a skier without coins I mean.
latest report
There are toilets on the slope, by example at arrival of Arpette Chairlift.
ski holidays
Hywel,

as promised
Quote:

Confused? You should be

In summary it doesn't seem to matter where you stay Very Happy
(apart from the village we don't mention of course wink )
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy