Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

El Nino affects Europe

Poster: A snowHead
According to this story on Swiss info El Nino affects the weather in Europe, in particular
Quote:
During strong El Niños, the Aleut depression over the North Pacific becomes stronger, which starts of a chain of events - leading to a weak Iceland depression over the North Atlantic and a weak polar vortex. Cold winds from Russia are then able to reach Europe, causing cold winters.
and
Quote:
This means, say scientists, that the climate changes observed in the 1940s show that an El Niño that starts west of South America could have a considerable effect on Europe.

They concluded that the effects of El Niño were unlikely to reach Europe all the time. But they said it was possible that Europe could be hit again by such arctic conditions as were observed in the 1940s.

So lets all hope for nice strong El Ninos in the future to give us nice cold winters in Europe
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is it an El Nino year this year. Seem to recall it might be. Anyway, foorecasters are predicting rather chilly winter in the UK (and I assume Europe). Typical, as am only able to take a couple of days skiing this year. Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once again (Adder, Black. 1588)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tough crowd, yes it is, but not as strong as back in 1998 when precipitation was between 10-20% higher in Europe in general. But according to the metoffice not much is going to happen this winter. But this is a long term forecast, and we all know how accurate they are Wink

http://www.metoffice.com/research/seasonal/monthly_public/headline.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmm, I remember the last El Nino.

I was staying in the caravan site at Bourg st Maurice under 6 ft of snow!!! Les Arcs was shut for a fair number of days - too much snow. -A very dangerous time.

Meg Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My beloved mother can remember a time (I think in the early 50's) where wengen had so much snow so quickly that all they could do was clear a narrow (3ft wide or so) path up the high street where the snow came above her head. Shocked

Last time we had lots of snow over several days and it really screwed things up Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From what little I've read, it's looking being a weak El Nino this year. I doubt it'll have much effect.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DG Orf - was that winter 1950/1951 - I think that was the most famous one in the Alps for avalanches, the "Winter of Terror", with over 200 killed in Austria & Switzerland. Does anyone know if that was an El Nino year?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes it was:

1951-1952
1957-1958
1965-1966
1968-1969
1972-1973
1977-1978
1982-1983
1991-1992
1997-1998

From this site which explains the basics very well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skanky, what a great site.
Oh well back to work.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plake, normally I'd agree but my mother didn't start going to Wengen until 1954, though my father had been going there for longer, must have been 1957-58
51-52 is the year that the snow reached the eves of some of the single story buildings in the high street.

Looks like we may be due for another good year then possibly this year but certainly within the next couple of years.

I think 72-73 was the year that there was no significant snow in Wengen till Christmas eve, Christmas day I woke to between 2 and 3 feet of snow outside the door, perfect !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well it's blooming cold up here in Middlesborough compared to the sunny south coast!! Must remember to pack my thermals if i'm back up here next week rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@D G Orf, a now vintage thread but interesting reading now forecasters seem to be agreeing that this winter may well have strongest El Niño on record. Here's raising a glass to a weak polar vortex and plenty of snow for all. Ho Ho Ho. Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i seem to recall reading that an el nino will cause poor snow conditions in colorado, does this mean it has the adverse effect on europe and cause good weather for large snowfalls? or have i got that wrong?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MogulMonkey, My inexpert reading of the various articles regarding El Nino is that it has a more pronounced effect on North America but that this can mean both mild, wet weather or cold dry weather! The stronger the El nino the imoact. The correlation with the European Alps is much less certain but consensus seems to be that a strong el nino weakens the polar vortex which allows very cold air from the frozen East (Siberia etc) to reach the European Alps - I imagine the eastern and north eastern alps would derive greatest benefit from this phenomenon.

It does seem though that you can find evidence to support which ever hypothesis you wish! I will keep going with the snow chants.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did a very personal comparison of El Nino events with my feel for how good each winter was over the last 10 or so years where I've been living full-time in the Alps. Didn't actually find much correlation.
ski holidays
@stevomcd, would you be happy to share your analysis of last ten winters? I feel we are due a decent one (from a skiing perspective).
latest report
stevomcd wrote:
I did a very personal comparison of El Nino events with my feel for how good each winter was over the last 10 or so years where I've been living full-time in the Alps. Didn't actually find much correlation.
That's also what the weather people at Snowbird suggest: no correlation there either.
latest report
One thing for sure, at 19C in Leeds today its too warm both here and in the Alps, hope it cools down soon.
snow report
IT means HUGE Snow but normally to Much at the same time making it incredibly dangerous.

Righ now the Alps are tropical, the ground is to warm for the time of year. If the Temperature does not drop significantly at altitude in the next couple of weeks we could have the worst situation. Heavy snow on warm ground = Avalanches.
ski holidays
Quote:
If the Temperature does not drop significantly at altitude in the next couple of weeks
Accuweather forecast for a month ahead has both Innsbruck and Moutiers cooling down with - at last! - precipitation on the horizon around the 20-something of the month.
snow report
Quote:
If the Temperature does not drop significantly at altitude in the next couple of weeks
Accuweather forecast for a month ahead has both Innsbruck and Moutiers cooling down with - at last! - precipitation on the horizon around the 20-something of the month.
snow report
@Markymark29,

19C here in Leeds is just fine, thank you very much!
latest report
@mountainaddict, accuweather forecast for a month ahead is just historical averages
snow report
@Snowsartre, sure - nothing terribly sophisticated:

2014 - 2015: Terrible start, then came average - decent finish to the season
2013 - 2014: Average
2012 - 2013: Excellent
2011 - 2012: Excellent
2010 - 2011: Very bad
2009 - 2010: Good
2008 - 2009: Very good - superb start to the season
2007 - 2008: Good
2006 - 2007: Terrible start, improved somewhat

This is from a Tarentaise Valley viewpoint, i.e. North/central French Alps.
snow report
@slushy, I believe that reference should be Blackadder, E. (1588)
snow report
henzerani wrote:
@slushy, I believe that reference should be Blackadder, E. (1588)

Correct, 11 years late but correct.
snow conditions
Acacia wrote:
@Markymark29,

19C here in Leeds is just fine, thank you very much!

Agreed, a trip over to Filey yesterday and I was in a t-shirt and getting sun burnt. Crazy but lovely.
ski holidays
Does anyone else get the links?
D G Orf's original link gets "Svizera-Europa: la bonta della via bilaterale". Not much there about El Nino.
skanky's link gets "Page not found".
And i'm not sure where slushy gets his information (Daily Express?), but the consensus as i see it is that if anything, we are in for a slightly warmer than average winter.
And most weather sites I've looked at agree with stevomcd: no correlation of weather in Europe with El Ninos.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just looked up what was going on in the Pacific in the winter of 2010/11 when we had our snowiest early winter for 18 years and the coldest ever December. Must have been an El Nino year - no it was in the middle of a La Nina - the exact opposite. Also, anyone remember 1962/63? that was during a very middle of the road time in the Pacific. Where do people and organisations get their supposed correlations from?
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
D G Orf's original link gets "Svizera-Europa: la bonta della via bilaterale". Not much there about El Nino.
And i'm not sure where slushy gets his information (Daily Express?), but the consensus as i see it is that if anything, we are in for a slightly warmer than average winter.
And most weather sites I've looked at agree with stevomcd: no correlation of weather in Europe with El Ninos.

So what your saying is no body has a bloody clue......

Your right, but I didnt need the internet to tell me that Happy

All I know is that snow will arrive at some point, some where Happy
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
Jonpim wrote:

So what your saying is no body has a bloody clue......

Your right, but I didnt need the internet to tell me that Happy

All I know is that snow will arrive at some point, some where Happy

Uh, yes, it is in fact snowing in the US West Coast all over the place. I know, little consolation for the Euro folks, but very welcome for those of us who were traumatized by last years mild El Nino on the US West Coast. It could just be that Godzilla is looking to go on Holiday in the Alps this year, and will leave us American's alone this time! wink
latest report
Oh yes. Work trips to California in Feb and March.

Tahoe weekends, here I come!
ski holidays
Harry Flashman wrote:
Oh yes. Work trips to California in Feb and March.

Tahoe weekends, here I come!

Hmmm. This is of interest to me also. Could be a very good idea.
snow report
Zombie Thread alert

But relevant

By God 2010/11 was cold. And snowy. It was minus 5 at Calais at 10pm, and as I drove down into France the thermometer just kept dropping and dropping. Hotel at Chaumont, minus 18.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy